Author Topic: 405 or 500, Sandy Hook Revisited  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
405 or 500, Sandy Hook Revisited
« on: February 24, 2019, 06:10:54 PM »
Hi Folks:
My hope is that one of our seasoned vets would favor me with an opinion about
optional weight for the 1873 Springfield trapdoor. I have read and reread the article
about the 1879 event and my conclusion is that a 405gr bullet was used for the
exercise, but that the Army adopted the 500gr bullet owing to better ballistic outcomes.
Therein begins my confusion. The piece that I am missing is whether the use of the 500gr
bullet followed the introduction of the 1879 model with its stronger block, or if the 1879
was introduced as a response to the use of the 500gr bullet and possible failures of
the 1873. The dog I have in this fight is whether or not to use the heavier bullet when
reloading.

"You are now free to move about the cabin"

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: 405 or 500, Sandy Hook Revisited
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 06:45:39 PM »
Both bullets were used at Sandy Hook,  with the Army adopting the larger one for superior downrange ballistics.  THe M1881 bullet and round was adopted in 1881 as per the designation, but issuance did not take place until the model of 1884 with it's properly calibrated sight.  The "M1879" weapon changes had nothing to do with the ammunition.  All Springfield "Allin" .45 caliber actions are considered suitable to fire the M1881 round, but only the "Buffington" sight is properly calibrated for it.  Some older rifles were retrofitted with the Buffington sight, but most were turned in and replaced by later rifles in a normal rotation, with the older models then being surplused out.  The M1873 round continued in issuance as long as the older rifles were in the field, and of course the carbines never stopped using the lighter bullet.

The sights dictate what bullet you need to use.  If your rifle has a Buffington sight, you use the M1881 bullet.  Any other rifle sight will require the lighter M1973 bullet.

I assume you have this book?  It explains a lot.    https://the4570book.com/
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 12:53:16 PM »
Thanks so much. I have Lymans, but as you know that covers a wide array of loading subjects, most of which I probably won't be using. I will definitely get the one you suggested.

BTW  Is the March 24th event in MO. stil on? I probably won't participate with my new acquisition,  but it might be a good chance to sight it and make some new friends. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:22:47 AM »

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 12:56:01 PM »
Yes it is!  Please come by and join in the insanity.  We can always use someone in the backround to catcall and make fun of us.  Livens up the place.  You can have free coffee and Chili, and if your around Ft Leanord Wood the night before, some of us will be at the Econo Lodge having drinks and snacks that are bad for us . . .

Just FYI, last years match was won by a Trapdoor.

There are two matchs scheduled for Illinois this year, they'd be tickled to have you.

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 07:22:58 AM »
The book by Wolf on the Trapdoor and .45-70 is a wealth of information. While I no longer shoot my 1875 trapdoor  the book is worth getting and reading.
Have fun because shooting stuff IS FUN
Bunk

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 05:19:06 PM »
The copy of the Wolf book is on my desk and as soon as the weather stops me from shooting I will see if I can find an answer to your question.
unfortunately there is a range in my back yard so it may be a while t but I will try.

Wreathed in a cloud of smoke
Bunk

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 11:28:43 AM »
Per your earlier post RE: M1881 bullet I have decided to modify my trapdoor by switching to the Buffington site from
TRAPDOOR. COM. It's a hefty investment  (about $180 USD). Good news is that I should be able to mount it, plus change out
The front blade site myself.

As far as casting the original M1881 I have been getting mixed signals. One source told me that the original M1881 mold is no longer to be found.
Another source told me that the M1881 is still available but with an unspecified modification....maybe a skirt? Lyman said they would send me a notated catalog but would affirm only that they sell a "45-70 government" but gave no details. I've  been going over the 90 or so bullets I pulled from 90 charged rounds I purchased but have found no clues yet. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »
Lyman is not the company they once were, and their "1881'" mold has not been correct for decades.  Do yourself a favor and start using Accurate molds.  You want this one:  http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=46-500D-D.png

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 03:06:10 PM »
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/567421/lyman-1-cavity-bullet-mold-457125-45-caliber-458-459-diameter-500-grain-round-nose

This is Lymans version, which as you see is quite available.  It is a good bullet, as long as the nose is properly dimensioned. (some have been undersized) But I'd get the Accurate.  It's closer to the original design, and the dimensions will be right every time.

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 04:16:21 PM »
Go over to www.trapdoorcollector.com

You can pick up a Buffington for about half what you quoted below.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com