Author Topic: sore shoulder but big smile  (Read 1028 times)

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
sore shoulder but big smile
« on: October 26, 2020, 08:07:03 PM »
Evening All,

In a turn of events I got to go with a friend to a range today he is member at.  This is one of those with long range and multi targets at various ranges.  I took the 45-75 and my friend took his new to him 45-60 - a Tom Horn version.  Now picture a nice modern range with all the bells and whistles, younger shooters enjoying modern firearms (brings joy to my heart to see young folk enjoying shooting) and here come these two, shall we say, seasoned gentlemen (read old coots) with 1876 replicas, 1903 and 03a3 Springfield, then top it all off with a Sharps replica.  We got interesting looks and a few onlookers as we proceeded to ring steel, shoot groups and see how far the old iron would reach.  I am bad out of practice but my friend is a regular SASS shooter so at least one of had a decent run of marksmanship.  The 45-75 was loaded with 350grain and 45-60 had both 405 and 300 grain bullets.  The 76s did well out to 200 yards, we didn't have enough time to dial in a 300 yard sight setting but were getting close.  The 03 (my friends) and 03a3 (mine) showed out a little by centering some steel targets at 500 yards on a regular basis.  The Sharps (my friends) showed how the 45-70 does it without an optic.  All in all a much needed range trip and tons of fun was had!!

Now comes the apology, yes I did leave my phone at home by mistake but as I can't seem to take a picture worth a hoot nothing was lost.  I will try and get some next time as we are hoping for a repeat before long.

Hope all on here are hanging in there and get a chance to burn powder soon!

Thanks for letting me share a little adventure.

P.B.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: sore shoulder but big smile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 08:16:40 PM »
Evening All,

In a turn of events I got to go with a friend to a range today he is member at.  This is one of those with long range and multi targets at various ranges.  I took the 45-75 and my friend took his new to him 45-60 - a Tom Horn version.  Now picture a nice modern range with all the bells and whistles, younger shooters enjoying modern firearms (brings joy to my heart to see young folk enjoying shooting) and here come these two, shall we say, seasoned gentlemen (read old coots) with 1876 replicas, 1903 and 03a3 Springfield, then top it all off with a Sharps replica.  We got interesting looks and a few onlookers as we proceeded to ring steel, shoot groups and see how far the old iron would reach.  I am bad out of practice but my friend is a regular SASS shooter so at least one of had a decent run of marksmanship.  The 45-75 was loaded with 350grain and 45-60 had both 405 and 300 grain bullets.  The 76s did well out to 200 yards, we didn't have enough time to dial in a 300 yard sight setting but were getting close.  The 03 (my friends) and 03a3 (mine) showed out a little by centering some steel targets at 500 yards on a regular basis.  The Sharps (my friends) showed how the 45-70 does it without an optic.  All in all a much needed range trip and tons of fun was had!!

Now comes the apology, yes I did leave my phone at home by mistake but as I can't seem to take a picture worth a hoot nothing was lost.  I will try and get some next time as we are hoping for a repeat before long.

Hope all on here are hanging in there and get a chance to burn powder soon!

Thanks for letting me share a little adventure.

P.B.

What feedback from the youngsters at that range???????

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 08:49:30 PM »
"What feedback from the youngsters at that range????"

Combination of 'what in the world have they got' to 'you hit it that far with that antique!'.  Now this isn't what was said but you could read the reactions and gather from a few questions.  Best I could tell all approved of the old iron.  There was some fine marksmen out there today with their rigs.  Think the younger folks are doing a good job picking up the shooting sports. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:39:52 AM »

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 05:06:20 AM »
PB  sounds like you and your friend had a great time . Like you most response I get from a public range is a genuine interest in the old firearms . I never can get over the look on their faces when they hear that these old guns can actually hit the target or kill deer . Lol. Oh that sore shoulder is just a reminder that you had some fun .  ,,,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com