Author Topic: Questions About Current Percussion Replica Revolvers  (Read 879 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
Re: Questions About Current Percussion Replica Revolvers
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2019, 07:14:40 am »

Ah My Good Professor   :D

And a happy Howdy Doody too ya two!!  Most happy too elucidate.  First .... Remingtons are ..... well ..... Ugly.  Colt pattern guns be suave and sleek.  They look right and fit the hand, balancing well, all of those intangible but describable things.

Then we have the pain.  Remington(s) bark my Social Finger something fierce.  Matters not how I hold em, what after-market grips I use, nada.  Remingtons' just assault me.  I don't like to be assaulted.  Atz why I also don't care for square back trigger guards onna Colt.  Peculiar I am ... or is it Particular.  Anyway ...... I just don't like Remingtons.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Very Active Citizen
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2019, 08:37:21 am »
 Gotta agree with Coffinmaker !!! I just can't stand .  .  .  .  .  .  boiled okra!! Don't even like to look at it!!!

As far as Remington's though, my intro to bp revolvers was a Rem. brasser ( 1978 ish) .  Mid. '80s I saw my first open top and was smitten and the Rem.  .  .  .  .    became "ugly"!!  Years went by (lots of um!!!!)  and I found myself being offered a trade for one of my " lesser" O.T.s with a Remington in steel!  Hmmmmm,  well Rems. didn't really look all that bad now (2014 ish) so, it happened!   Then a 5 1/2" model showed up in my safe (with a conv. cyl. of course)!! What a handy carrying size 45C six shooter!!  So,  I like um again!!!  They don't bite the finger and are intrinsically accurate (specially in 45C). So, I spent much too much time trying to figure out a coil handspring setup for them that would be SASS legal (no drilling the frame and such).  Besides, that's the most broken spring in a SA (Colt type action) so if ya can't fix that problem, no sense in fixing the others.  Finally got it and figured out the other two (it's so skinny in there!!) so now one could have a Remington with a Ruger life expectancy!!
  So, I guess I said all that to say, whether it's an Uberti, Pietta or any of the other previous makers, they can all be "modernized" with coil innards which makes me (and others) happy!

So that's my take on the current production (as well as previous) Remington revolver.

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2019, 05:32:00 pm »
Not to keep this thread from dragging on into eternity, I found some posts reference the arbor washer fix that not only advocating the use of #10 or 10mm split washer use, but some that advocated the use of a 5mm split washer. These were what I used in my split washer attempt to fix the arbor fit. I had musta have had a brain stall reference the 10 mm use as the 10mm would be to large in diameter. I found the washers I originally bought for arbor fixin, they were 5mm splitters. They're approx. the size of a Colt arbor minus a bit and are approximately the same size as #10's give or take in outside diameter. I still contend that some Uberti arbors are OK or so close that a shim or washer is to much as in four of my Uberti cappers and Richards II, although many out in shooters hands are not as has been mentioned. Not all of mine were right and needed fixin. My brass flat washers are .01, .02, .03, and .04" in thickness. A 5mm split washer is .03" in thickness and approx. the same diameter as #10's, my flat brass washers are of the same approximate outside diameter. As Abilene advised he believed newer production of unknown time period are a lot better than ones of previous manufacturer. Reference Remington's, I like them, do carry and shoot them, they're a stronger frame design but like the Colt's better, just something about the lines. A lot 'Prettier" revolver if that term can be attributed to a firearm. ;D ---- Boiled or baked "Okra" is on my do not eat list-slimy concoction of whatever, at least as to my experience with the stuff.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 07:25:54 pm by Crow Choker »
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Online Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2019, 05:05:24 pm »
All things considered I would go for the third model Dragoon. Mostly because the loading latch is (somewhat) better and stays latched {usually}when shooting. As least if you stay away from warthog loads.
My third model is somewhat different looking because it has a fluted cylinder like the model P and the front and rear sight are dovetailed into the barrel.
I call it the 4th Model Dragoon. it is a lot heavier than my 1851 Navy but still fun to shoot.
Respectfully submitted
Bunk