Author Topic: 2nd generation 1851 navy colt, who has them and shoots them  (Read 1460 times)

Offline grey ghost 99

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
2nd generation 1851 navy colt, who has them and shoots them
« on: April 02, 2019, 08:17:54 PM »
I'm not new to cap and ball, shot them for 25 years.
To be blunt are the 1970s "colts" worth it?

I know the history on them and dont need the history of where they were made. I just want to know are they finished better and are they better about cap sucking and arbor lenght.
I know all this can be repaired but at that price my Hope's would be to not have to

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: 2nd generation 1851 navy colt, who has them and shoots them
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 10:44:34 PM »
Hate to bust your bubble but, they are just like any other '70s offering inside. Thick chunky parts, over sprung, short arbor .  .  . typical. I'm finishing up a pair with silver back straps and trigger guards. One was fairly straightforward, the other a tuners nightmare!! Tollerances all over the place .  .  . just a wreck!! Would be better to get all new parts and set it up as new!  Unless you just have to have the horse, a new Uberti or Pietta would be a much better revolver. The parts in an Uberti are the finest ever made in my opinion even though the arbors are still too short. Piettas have a better fitting arbor (that just needs adjusting) but the action parts still have a way to go .  .  .
  Most tuners today won't work on older guns, used guns (including 2nd gens) and lately, I can see why!!

Good luck,

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 09:45:44 AM »

??? Bubble Bursters Anonymous??  A meeting??  Did someone schedule a meeting??  I didn't get the memo!!  How Rude   :o

Almost complete support and agreement with 45 Dragoon.  There are always some "Coltistas" or "Die Hards" whom will champion the Colt Moniker at any cost/price.  However.  The second generation BP Colt guns are NOT in anyway worth the money.  On the outside, pretty.  On the inside, KRAP.  Those guns just aren't worth the double or in some cases triple the price of a Uberti or Pietta.  No way.

Of course .... I don't like Uberti so I would recommend starting with a nice new PIETTA   ;D 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:07:02 AM »

Offline grey ghost 99

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 10:54:13 PM »
Thanks for the input, that is what I was afraid of

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 09:13:08 AM »
I have two of them. The first one I got a couple years ago I shot and it got a loose arbor almost right away. What I was told by a gunsmith is that the wedge screw hole was set too low and/or the wedge slots were not correctly aligned, which caused stress on the arbor. It also had the arbor hole punched through so that the tip of the arbor pokes out behind the loading lever.

The second one I got apparently has the bolt window mislocated, which causes the chambers to not line up correctly with the bore. It also has the poke through arbor.

I really like the looks of the 2nd Gen 1851 Navy. It is probably my favorite cap n' ball next to a high condition original, which I can't afford. I would like to have a pair I can shoot but if I ever buy another it will be in person and I will have to be able to check the action.

My 2015 Uberti was a better shooter out of the box. Basically the only thing wrong with it was the short arbor, which they all have and is easily corrected with shims and epoxy. I wish the Uberti's would come with real bone charcoal case colors.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com