Author Topic: GAF Muster 2006  (Read 9416 times)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Re: GAF Muster 2006
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2005, 02:52:29 PM »
Great news!

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2005, 06:15:22 PM »
MAJ M. Lewis:
We oughta parley some over this.  :D
Maybe have a mini-muster at Hell On Wheels again. 
At least we could have a GAF posse or two to shoot(???). 
I'm jus' ponderin' out loud here. 
I have been off'n the 'net for a week+ wit' a busted compuker.
I'll try to reach you tomorrow, Sir.
SFC Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2005, 12:56:44 PM »
Kayleen, Steve, Maj. Matt, et al:

In going with the War Between the States (no, it wasn't "civil" in any sense) theme for the next muster, may I humbly make a suggestion (or two) for a side match?

1. Soldiers of that time were required to show proficiency in arms, and to be able to fire 4-6 rounds per minute (I think).  A timed-fire match (on line, by relay, or squad/posse) for both muzzle-loaders and breech-loaders (separate events) at 75-100 yards.  Instead of shooting individually (so many hits in "X" seconds), see who can get the most hits in say, 3 minutes.  This would require a spotter for each shooter (steel targets) or paper IPSC targets.  The shooter would be required to score as many hits (SAFELY) as possible within the time allowed.  Shooters would start with an UNLOADED, UNCAPPED (hammer down) rifle/musket, or an open, UNLOADED breechloader.  Standard range commands would be used -"With one round, LOAD... Ready on the right, Ready on the left, Commence firing .... CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE...Unload and show clear" (or "Discharge loaded weapons into the berm").  Cleared muzzleoaders show clear by snapping a cap with muzzle pointed downrange and dropping ramrod down the barrel (AFTER snapping the cap!). Time would start with the first shot downrange.  Shots fired after "Cease Fire" would not count.  Ties would have to be decided by most hits in "center of mass", this would require paper targets, I'm afraid.  Paper targets have the advantage of being marked with the shooter's name and scored later, plus it makes a good memento of the match.

I know, "another" side match is more organization, administration and other red tape, plus materials for the paper targets, (frames, staple guns, etc).  Plus spotters, safety observers, ad nauseum.

2.  Another variation of the above would be the infamous "log", or "plank" match, where the squad/posse attempt to cut a post or heavy plank in half, only in this case, by volley fire under command of their leader.  Much less administrative and logistic headaches, strictly first one done wins.  This would be a team, not an individual, match, so that would require multiple awards.

Just a couple ideas, to be considered and/or dismissed as you best judge.  I come up with this idea, and I'm not even sure I can get to Ackley in time for any side matches - depends our work schedule.  I can get off work pretty much any time, but the wife works for a Heat/Air company, and they have busy and slow times, tho September isn't usually bad.

Looking forward to seeing you all - I'm already getting enthused.
Guns
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:17:59 PM »

Offline Kayleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2006, 05:52:49 PM »
Guns Garrett and all,
  Thanks you for the ideas. I have looked them over and yes they are very doable here.
To everyone, please keep the ideas coming, I value the input from each and everyone of you.
  I have had to do some serious research on the Civil War.
  I am working on a historical part for everyone to read. I ran across a site with some very interesting bits of information on the smaller battles in various states. I think  most will enjoy them.
Latter,
Kayleen

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006, 09:22:44 AM »
Kayleen,
Have you and Steve decided on a date yet? I may have missed it elsewhere. I'm going to talk French Jack into coming this year.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 11:18:57 AM »
Howdy OCB,

That would be Oct. 5 - 8, 2006.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2006, 09:52:19 AM »
I'm planning on being there.

Major Matt, Thanks for all that you have done!!!!!!!!
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Hardtack Henry

• Citizen
    • Sun River Rangers Shooting Society
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2006, 10:21:03 AM »
WOW!  I just got here so I had a bunch of catching up to do...Major, thank you again for setting up an extremely fine match last October!  It is a massive undertaking to set up and manage an event like this!  *SALUTE*

I plan to attand if Rattlesnake Jack would care to have me for a traveling partner again.  With gas prices still high, it sure helped the budget when we shared the cost.   Kayleen, thank you for steppin' up and pickin' up the banner. 

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2006, 02:10:31 PM »
Hardtack:

"Long time no see!"

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the 2006 Muster, since the dates selected for it conflict directly with our local Fall match ...   :'(
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Hardtack Henry

• Citizen
    • Sun River Rangers Shooting Society
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2006, 10:37:55 PM »
Jack,

That is indeed sad news!  I will need to find a different traveling partner or  I may not be able to make the trip.  Hope to see you at a different match.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com