Author Topic: Modified Mills Belt?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Modified Mills Belt?
« on: March 28, 2019, 01:35:24 PM »
I am researching arms issued to enlisted members of the 20th Kansas Volunteer Infantry, who served at the end of the Spanish American War, and later in the Philippine Insurrection, from May 1898 to Oct 1899.  I came across an old auction listing, offering a "Artillery Model" SAA:

"This is a typical mismatched artillery from an arsenal re-work. Accompanied by a letter from John Kopec regarding a possible re-work of Colt artilleries at Benicia Arsenal. Also included is a Springfield research service letter identifying this revolver as having been issued to 1st Sgt. William H. Blatchley, a member of Company F, 20th Kansas Volunteer Infantry during the Philippine Insurrection. He joined the 20th Kansas Infantry in May 1898 and was mustered out in October 1899."

I found a photograph, purportedly of Co. F 20th KVI, showing a First Sergeant standing next to a tent pole.  He is wearing a khaki Mills belt, but close examination appears to show it *may* have been modified to hold a holster by sewing a leather billet with buckle on the right side of the belt (as described/shown in McChristian's "Arms and Equipment").  Not much can really be seen in the photo, but there is a suggestion of something attached to the belt, just at his right hip.  What do you think?
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Modified Mills Belt?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 01:43:46 PM »
It is also possible the dark spot on the belt at the 1stSgt's right hip is indeed part of the holster itself, as the loop of the M1881 holster made larger in two or three subsequent Types/Models, to allow it to be worn over the Mills Belt.

I really can't tell...

GAF #301

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 06:47:36 PM »
Not clear enough to tell just what it is.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:09:49 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 07:27:55 PM »
Yeah, I can't make it out, could be a billet, could be a pistol butt. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 06:54:20 AM »
I printed out the photo, in monochrome (not sepia), and yes, it does look like the butt of a pistol...

GAF #301

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com