Author Topic: Pointy Bullets ---- Really??  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Pointy Bullets ---- Really??
« on: March 13, 2019, 11:14:45 AM »

My curiosity has been PIQUED.  Peak'd??  Drawn??  Arouse'd.  Grin a little ..... makes em wonder what yer up two.

Anyway .... Bunk sent me some Bullets for my .36 Cap Guns.  Funny little things.  Pointy.  They also have this tiny microscopic lube groove and a rebated Butt for gluing paper too.  Colt bullet.  I think.  Came from an Eras Gone Bye mold.  I guess we should call it a Conical.  The only conical I have ever messed with were hollow based and didn't necessarily show any improvement over a plain ol' Round Ball.

Mostly I shoot "other" bullets in my .36s  as in the EPP UG - 36.  NOT a conical.  NOT a round ball.  Funny lookin thing (can't post pix).

Anyway, I are just panting away, waiting for some shootin weather (read .... WARM) to go out and try these nifty little things.  Bunk sent me an Sample Example pealed offa target at 10 yards.  Flatter-n-pancake.  Also says it gives a nice satisfying KLANG to a Steel Target (a good thing).  Mostly .... round ball from a .36 just gives a fairly audible "thunk" on a steel  target.  Think we shoud coat the face of steel targets with contact cement.  .36s would probably stick there just fine.  Count em most easy.

Cummon warm weather.  We're all calling ya!!!! 

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Pointy Bullets ---- Really??
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 11:34:26 AM »
How cold is too cold, when it comes to squeezing off a few? Has Hell frozen over?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 07:41:47 PM »

YES   ???

Plus, ALL the ranges are buried in SNOW  :P :'(

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:21:49 PM »

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:03:33 PM »
YES   ???

Well  -- if you all would just pay yr extra taxes so they can stop global warming - all the snow would melt - an ya could go shoot .
makes sense dont it?

As an unintended consequence it might rain downunder cuz at the moment you guys have got all OUR rain piled up in a frozen heap in yr yards.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 09:41:09 PM »

Greyhawk .....

How long can you Tread Water    :o  ::)  ;D

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 02:57:32 AM »
Greyhawk .....

How long can you Tread Water    :o  ::)  ;D

That bad huh?
well till it got up to me chin it would be a change from red dust.

1966 ...sittin on the deck of the railway goods shed in our local village with some older guys (I was driving wheat trucks at harvest) a couple weeks before christmas - one of the older blokes I had worked for as a woolclasser - he had considerable land holding but never showed it - had been carting grain OUT of his storage for months to keep his sheep fed in a drought - our harvest was pretty scanty as well and some fool asked if he was gonna harvest more than he fed out that year - which led to general moaning about the drought from several around him - he just sits there chewin on his lunchtime sandwich and he sez  "matey we live in the most friendly climate on earth to do our stuff - I was in Canada during the war for training (WWII  bomber pilot) - those poor blokes have a drought for seven months of every year of their lives - they lock their cows up in barns so they wont freeze to death and  feed em hay - when the sun finally shines enough to melt the ice they spend three months of the summer bustin their a$$ putting hay back in the sheds so they can do it all again, we get a drought one year in ten - the rest of the time the grass grows and the animals feed them selves - and we whine about it? " 

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 07:29:44 AM »
some what off subject (surprise!) but from my simple Central Texas rancher point of view i will have enough rain when I need a row boat to grease the windmill.
Bunk

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 09:42:14 PM »
Bunk and all (more off topic)
Since we wrote this silly stuff seems like my friends in Nebrasky have been inflicted with exactly what we was talkin about - thats if there is any of the windmill stickin out to be found from the rowboat. Does anybody have news from that direction? Sounds like the worst of it was in the Northwest - but thats from the news - I have developed a habit of non belief in the news .
Good to see this place back on line I was suffering withdrawal. 

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 10:16:57 PM »
YES   ???

What is this "Snow" thing you speak of? ???

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 12:58:46 AM »
Bunk and all (more off topic)
Since we wrote this silly stuff seems like my friends in Nebrasky have been inflicted with exactly what we was talkin about - thats if there is any of the windmill stickin out to be found from the rowboat. Does anybody have news from that direction? Sounds like the worst of it was in the Northwest - but thats from the news - I have developed a habit of non belief in the news .
Good to see this place back on line I was suffering withdrawal.
Its been. . . interesting.  Eastern third or so of the state got rain, falling on frozen ground or snow, so it was all instant runoff.  Western part of the state got snow.  Lots and lots of snow.  I'm sorta on the edge of both zones, we got 8" or so of snow followed by rain. 

Most of the bad stuff missed us here (about 30 mins S-SW of Valparaiso).  We still had roads most places, once the water recedes.  I heard mention that the river crested at 22', but I suspect that was a guess: the water gauges were submerged.  Fairground flooded, highways submerged, etc.  I got to live on an island for a few days.  The locals were threatening to slap me if I didn't stop whistling the theme from Gilligan's Island (The trick is to do it while wading in waist-deep water dodging miniature icebergs to get a tow line out to a truck that got caught when the water level suddenly rose a few feet.  You're safe then!).  Spent a few days driving for an hour and covering 30-40 miles to detour around the flooded roads to make the 8 mile trip to town: a lot of trial-and-error to find roads that were passable.   A lot of folks are still tallying up stock lost, especially calves, while they repair or replace fences. 

I've heard nothing from Valparaiso, going to have to head up there for work this week and will make a bit of a detour if I can to check roads and maybe range conditions.   

Northeast corner of the state, and along the Missouri, got hit with flooding pretty hard, in a "tie that canoe off to the weathervane and c'mon in for coffee" sort of way.  Situation there is still a mess.  I took I80 through Omaha and into Iowa today, some roads still flooded. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 08:05:35 AM »
Its been. . . interesting.  Eastern third or so of the state got rain, falling on frozen ground or snow, so it was all instant runoff.  Western part of the state got snow.  Lots and lots of snow.  I'm sorta on the edge of both zones, we got 8" or so of snow followed by rain. 

Most of the bad stuff missed us here (about 30 mins S-SW of Valparaiso).  We still had roads most places, once the water recedes.  I heard mention that the river crested at 22', but I suspect that was a guess: the water gauges were submerged.  Fairground flooded, highways submerged, etc.  I got to live on an island for a few days.  The locals were threatening to slap me if I didn't stop whistling the theme from Gilligan's Island (The trick is to do it while wading in waist-deep water dodging miniature icebergs to get a tow line out to a truck that got caught when the water level suddenly rose a few feet.  You're safe then!).  Spent a few days driving for an hour and covering 30-40 miles to detour around the flooded roads to make the 8 mile trip to town: a lot of trial-and-error to find roads that were passable.   A lot of folks are still tallying up stock lost, especially calves, while they repair or replace fences. 

Thanks for the info - have some friends in the sandhills (Brewster and a little way south) was there in a Blizzard in 2005 - they lost cattle buried in drifts that time -others are south of I 80 - around Grant - Wallace area 

I've heard nothing from Valparaiso, going to have to head up there for work this week and will make a bit of a detour if I can to check roads and maybe range conditions.   

Northeast corner of the state, and along the Missouri, got hit with flooding pretty hard, in a "tie that canoe off to the weathervane and c'mon in for coffee" sort of way.  Situation there is still a mess.  I took I80 through Omaha and into Iowa today, some roads still flooded.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 03:55:52 PM »
Here's an image of the EPP-UG bullet mold working drawing.  It's not pointy.  Drops at 150g and a RB drops at 147g.  Emulates RB performance but hauls all the lube you can use.  No need for wads, smears or any adjuncts.  Lube/size 'em and they are ready to load and shoot.

Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 03:57:30 AM »
Well, I got up to Valparaiso Saturday, didn't get a chance to check how the range was.  From what I saw, the flooding up there looked like it was fairly well controlled and the waters had receded.  I'm gonna hope the range is OK and the summer's shooting can still happen--hoping to hear news soon. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com