Author Topic: Paper cartridge residue  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Paper cartridge residue
« on: March 10, 2019, 10:50:11 AM »
In an effort to get paper cartridges workable for me at Cowboy matches, I ran a series of tests this past Fall. I was determined to make the cartridges work because I wanted to use the percussion pistols more at these matches. I often run a posse or shoot on a small one. This limits the amount of time I have (with loose powder/flask) to utilize more careful loading procedures. The gist of this test was to see how far I could go(simulate a day's Cowboy shoot) loading paper cartridges stage after stage with absolutely NO attention to any paper residue that remained after firing. In other words, keep loading the cartridges right on top of whatever residual paper/ash left in the chambers to simulate a "hurried pace"Cowboy match.
 I utilized Sally brand hair curling papers that were NOT nitrated. I made up a simple powder "packet" (using most of the method described by "Cap and Ball" on his you tube video) but with no attached projectile. Reason for this is I use a variety of projectiles and this way I can use whatever I want that day. In the course of a four day (not consecutive) testing, in each case I used two pistols loaded all six chambers, and shot six "stages".
Day 1-two Uberti 51 Navies, 18 gr packet of 3F Olde Enysford, .375 round ball, SPG on top
Day 2-two Uberti 61 Navies, 18 gr packet of 3F Olde Enysford, DD's EPP-UG 36, sized .375 lubed with SPG
Day 3-two Uberti 60 Armies, 26 gr packet of 3F Olde Enysford, .454 round ball, SPG on top
Day 4-two Euroarms Rogers & Spencers, 26 gr packet of 3F Olde Enysford, wool wad soaked in SPG, .454 round ball
Remington #10 caps used throughout. To my surprise, there were no issues. I observed there was some residue remaining after firing, most of the time a small amount in each chamber, but I  just kept loading right on top of it. There were no hangfires or missfires. Each round went off normally. Cleaning at the end of the day revealed a bit of extra work to remove the paper residue.
That is 288 rounds without a hitch. Did I just get lucky? I hope not as using the Sally papers without the extra effort of having to nitrate them sure saved a lot of time. I will continue this procedure for the up-coming Cowboy season and see how it goes.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline scrubby2009

• Very Active Citizen
  • Lifelong obsession with '73's
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Paper cartridge residue
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 11:33:30 AM »
I can concur, on a less grand scale. I fired approximately 90 to 100 rounds in one session Labor Day 2018 with family and friends. I believe I used the pick on the nipple wrench one time as a preventative, giving the nipples each a quick thrust or two. But I never inspected the chambers, swabbed or brushed the barrel or chambers until returning to camp. Some paper was found, but aside from dislodged caps from old worn nipples, I've had no failure to fire on this original Remington and the cartridges I build with Hemp Wide rolling papers, J&D conicals, and FFFg powder.
Responsive, timely, tactically accurate, and strategically precise fire.

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 07:26:23 PM »
If you don't want to nitrate your papers, you can order Magician's "Flash Paper".  They are pre-nitrated.
Scouts Out!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:14:38 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 07:59:50 PM »

Youz Guyz have the patience of JOBE!!  You have my utmost respect.  I could no more sit down and roll my own paper cartridges than fly to the moon.  I do have a small batch of pointy bullets intended for paper cartridge that I have found the base to be perfect for guiding the bullet down into the chamber.  I have no intention of making paper cartridges.

I also don't run any posse(s).  I don't have the stamina to do that anymore.  I also load on a Cylinder loading stand, using a scoop and a funnel.  It's fairly quick.  I don't see a flask as "fun."  The other problem is APP doesn't meter well thru a flask.  The individual grains of powder are some larger than normal BP.  I do like Cap Guns.  I like Cap Guns alot.  I just don't have a need to immerse myself in the 150 year old experience.  I like my modern conveniences.  OK ...... I'm also lazy.  I'm looking forward to this season to try the new nifty pointy bullets.  FUN!!!

Offline scrubby2009

• Very Active Citizen
  • Lifelong obsession with '73's
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 09:57:31 AM »
Effin Coffinmaker... almost got coffee on the keyboard. I expect to "age out" one day... But by then I hope me grandson (due to be born in May this year) will have sufficient respect for his Old Man and the wrist strength to load my old relic Remington for me, and my son will be willing to cast a few J&D's in the garage and wrap a couple paper cah-tree-ges for his feeble old man. THAT would feel like parenting done right!
Responsive, timely, tactically accurate, and strategically precise fire.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 11:10:31 AM »

Ya know ....... I just had a thought (Oh ..... the pain!!!).  Kant us just see the poor clown who rolls him's own cigarettes, forgetting, and getting into his nitrided cartridge papers by error??  Rolling a smoke?? Striking a match to it (flicking his Bic??).  Touching Flame to it??  POWOUFFFFF. 

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 05:02:21 PM »
For me the use of the paper cartridges are almost a "safety" consideration. As mentioned, when tasked with running a posse, I have been distracted or interrupted by the usual issues that can crop up during a match. Always seem to happen when in the middle of loading. Usual outcome would be spilled powder, sloppy/faulty loading, etc. With the paper carts I can easily see which chambers have the white paper packet already in them and finish loading. No more mistakes.
 I have the procedure down(making the carts) and it is now almost fun. No hurry. If I'm not loading them, then I'm loading metallic cartridges with blackpowder--or casting or making lube. So I'm going to be doing something anyway. I enjoy all aspects of making ammunition and find it relaxing. Been retired now for about three years so have plenty of time to do this. Will be 65 yrs in two days and don't want to slow down or waste what good years I got left.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 07:36:48 AM »
I go through waves of using and not using them.   I like making them with a dowel and a glue stick, and either seat a round ball in them, or on top.    my other method of loading is premeasuring powder into 1 dram plastic vials.   Scored a bunch of these from a vendor eons ago as they are used for biological sample prep.    They work great for holding up to ~28 grains of fff black powder.   They are not as fast as the paper cartridge, but close as you still have to add a ball.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com