Author Topic: What took S&W so long???  (Read 2030 times)

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
What took S&W so long???
« on: May 30, 2019, 12:05:27 AM »
S&W was making 22 and 32 cal. cartridge revolvers during the civil war..Henry was making a lever action repeater in 1860...What the heck reason did S&W have for not coming out with a 44cal. revolver shooting the henry rimfire round as early as 1861 at the very latest  ???

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
Re: What took S&W so long???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 08:21:46 AM »
They were making their No. 1 & 2 revolvers and producing ammunition and were struggling to keep up during the war.  In 1865 introduce the 1 1/2.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 08:36:43 AM »
Also, the top hinge bottom break design they were using during the war could not handle anything bigger either in power or size.  A whole new gun would need to be designed, and that would take time and manpower that could not be spared during the war.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:11:06 AM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 01:48:59 PM »
As an aside from what others have posted... the .44 Henry rim fire belonged to the New Haven Arms Co. and it's inventor B. Tyler Henry, not to S&W.
B. Tyler Henry was working on his design for the .44 Rim fire and the firearm that would shoot it, based on the Vulcanic weapon when S&W sold the Vulcanic Arms Co. to what would become New Haven Arms and ultimately Winchester. B. Tyler Henry went to work for New Haven Arms at the point of sale.
I hope this info helps?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 09:36:20 PM »
Actually the rimfire concept was patented by S&W* and they got a royalty for every round produced.  Regardless of who manufactured it or the caliber.

In 1862 S&W sold 416,000 rounds of .44/100 ammunition. (As well as 3,715,900 .22/100 and 2,203,400 .32/100)**

Books

* The "rocket-ball" ammunition was the main reason of the failure of the Volcanics.

**S&WCA Journal, Spring 2019, page 44.
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 02:28:30 AM »
Howdy

First of all, although the Henry rifle was patented in 1860, production did not start until 1862.

Neal and Jinks state that in the Paris Exposition of 1867 S&W displayed a 41 Rimfire Tip Up revolver. They called it the Model #3 Pocket Pistol. It looked like a scaled up Model 1 1/2 Second Issue. This was a case of a model being displayed before it actually went into production. Neal and Jinks are only aware of two of these existing.

S&W experimented with a 44 Rimfire Tip Up, but decided the design was not strong enough for a 44 caliber cartridge and never produced it.

When the White Patent expired in 1869, S&W introduced the American Model, the first Top Break, chambered for the 44 S&W American cartridge. The Top Break design was much stronger than the Tip Up design, so a large caliber Tip Up became a moot point.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com