Author Topic: Total Capper Frustration  (Read 8703 times)

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Total Capper Frustration
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 08:39:12 PM »
Howdy Gun Slingers,
Perhaps it is because I am living right(?) but very seldom is there any problem getting caps on my guns.
They are all equipped with Slixshot nipples and have had the reoil shields re-contoured.
The Cash capper has also had the cap end tuned carefully with a fine cut file and polished with 600 grip emery cloth. There is a little bit off of the spring cap holder part not a big job but slow careful work.
From the factory it did not work, but with a little careful tuning it caps MY guns quite satisfactorily.
Bunk

Offline R.M. Conversion

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 10:18:58 PM »
That Polish one sure looks nice.  I'm going to get one, I think.  Thanks.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2019, 09:12:03 AM »
No offense Isom, I realize you're just posting the capper, but IMO, that is one ugly capper. I don't know what the US dollars for the thing is, says something about $50 USD, if that translates into $50 US greenbacks-pretty pricey for something you lay down that much for, site unseen, no known track record, any problems ya may be up the 'crick' having to deal with someone in Poland or wherever they're located. Besides the looks and price, the clear plastic side so you can see your caps is a big turnoff to me. Come on-plastic, what will be the longevity on that be. I fill my Cash snail with caps and can shoot for quite a spell, having a gut feeling how many are left. Looks like the 'Edsel' of cappers to me. Looks like some of these cell phones ya see people walking around with to big for any shirt pocket, look like some mini desk top computor strapped to their side, really to big for any pants pocket, etc. Same for that Polish capper, looks like some Sunday afternoon table top shooter, but to gangly to do any good righteous walk along a steam or woods shooter. Still ugly IMO. OK, off my peach crate soapbox rant.  ;D

Speaking of the Cash Snail Cappers-have been reading all about the need to file and polish the fingers, spring, all the whatever, as I advised in previous post, I've run mine as bought, as is for years. Puts cap on every nipple, every time, no hassle, no turned caps, no caps falling off, no sense fixing what ain't broke. Just sayin'! ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:13:49 AM »

Offline Isom

• Deputy Marshal
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 12:36:34 PM »
CC,
no offense taken. I don't know what "plastic" you're talking about, the whole thing is brass, back also. I think the little plunger is another material though. Like I said ,,, it is a little pricey. I've got a pair of '51 Navies I'll shoot once and a while and I use the straight-line cappers with no problems. I've got about 7-8 on a lanyard and a clothespin to separate them so I know which ones I've used. Real hi-tech stuff.  ;D

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 02:54:05 PM »
OK, my wrong! I went back and viewed website again and watched some of a video. Didn't see the video the first time. Does show brass (metal) back and front. There is also a picture slide show that does show someone holding one of those cappers with caps in it with I assume the top cover removed.. Picture not very big and not real clear. Does look like a capper with caps in it with a clear plastic side. When you bring up the website it will show one of the four pictures in the slide show and you have to click on it to see the rest of the pictures. The first time I viewed it, it showed the picture that appeared to be caps in the capper with what I assumed was a plastic side. This last time I observed the website, it had a different picture and after discovering it was a slide show, it showed the picture with the capper with one of the sides removed. Still pretty pricey, unless they have a US distributor/dealer, I'd stay away from them in case of problems, and like the Cash Snail capper better. Good product, US based, and cheaper.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 05:07:03 PM »

Hi guys.  Not to fear.  The production Polish Cappers are of all brass construction.  The capper shown with the clear plastic side was for advertising to show how it functions.  The cap pusher may be a "filled nylon" or similar.

Offline Isom

• Deputy Marshal
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 01:55:07 PM »
I think if I shot my cap guns regularly, I'd buy one. What the heck.  :)
Isom

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2019, 03:11:58 PM »
In my armory there resides a pair of matching revolvers made by Pietta that have consecutive numbers. With a bit of careful filing and polishing the lip of a Tedd Cash snail capper to where the bottom edge positions a cap to the point it is just in line with  the lip of the capper and it will slide #10 Remington caps on the SlixShot nipples slick as a mashed grape on a terrazzo floor.

The next number frame needed more polishing on the capper to the point of just showing about one third of the diameter of the cap over the lip of the capper to get it to work properly.

Moral of the story is it may do just fine on one gun and not another even two that appear completely alike. It takes fitting, time, and patience  to get it to work.

Most likely a brand new  capper will not work on any gun because like a brand new gun it is a kind of kit.

I prefer the snail capper that holds a full tin of caps to a straight-line capper that needs to be refilled every 15 shots or so.
At least that works for me YMMV

Respectfully submitted
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 11:59:25 AM »

Friends, Romans, Countryman, I have come to shoot the Cap Guns, .... Nah, that's the wrong speech.  Sorry 'bout that.  Anyway:

I tried a Polish Capper.  I thought the thing was just the Beez Kneez until I dumped the whole load of Caps all over a Loading Table.  Some embarrasses waz I.  Struth.  Seems, probable, I either failed to tighten the retaining Knut (not to confuse with the shooting Knut) that holds the side plate tight.  Or perhaps perhaps the way I was holding it allowed my Pinkie Poker to inadvertently (new big wurd) unscrew the screw knut that caused the plate to swivel and dump the contents on the Loading Table, right in front of the amused masses.  I on the other hand, was NOT amused.

That particular Fox Pass is probably correctable, but I elected not to have a similar incident in my future and immediately handed the offending object of my displeasure back to it's rightful owner and continued my day .. and to this day ... with my faithful Theodore Cashe Snail Clapper.

Your results may well differ.

Offline Cody Bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2019, 02:16:38 PM »
I have used both inline and snail cappers from Ted Cash and have never had issues with using either. I bought a Polish capper over a year ago because I wanted something easier to fill than a inline capper that would work on my Remington. It tool me a little practice to learn how to use with out issue but its a good capper and will work on both colt and Remington. As far as ordering from Poland I had no issues. The person I dealt with seemed very friendly and it did not take long to receive, a week or two can not remember now. I was concerned about using my credit card for overseas purchases so I went through PayPal. I feel the capper is not overpriced for being a machined part from solid brass, that with care will last a life time. As stated previously keep the screw tight or you will dump your caps.

Offline R.M. Conversion

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2019, 11:30:00 PM »
I just spend the $50 or so on the Polish Capper.  I also had some success 'thinning' the Ted Cash snail capper down.  By 'thinning' I mean making it narrower - by filing down the sides to make each side plates closer together - reducing the ability of the caps to go sideways.  I also bent the spring hand out a bit - but we'll see if these mods do as well as the Polish one out of the box.

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2019, 10:07:12 AM »
I used to have a ton of issues dropping caps using with my snail capper on my old army and my 1851's.   I found this youtube and it helped a lot in terms of loading.    I did have to stone the port on the capper a little, but this really works -     
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline R.M. Conversion

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2019, 01:34:57 PM »
Also from Poland, there's six-pointed-star plastic holders.  Found them on ebay.  Spent $20 on five and they look pretty good.  Haven't arrived yet.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2019, 07:20:09 AM »

I have also found a nice new clean Tooth Pic can go a long way with righting the Caps Sunny Side Down.  Very handy indeed.  Loading a TDC Snail is really no big deal.  I always take two in my Kart.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com