Author Topic: Uberti Chamber blowout  (Read 2850 times)

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Uberti Chamber blowout
« on: January 30, 2019, 05:07:01 PM »
Now that I have your attention,  ;D I want to fireform another batch of Jamison brass. I'm thinking a charge of 14.0 gr of TrailBoss (got alot of it) under a .459 350gr Laser Cast bullet. (got lots of them too). What think?
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Uberti Chamber blowout
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 05:56:43 PM »
I shot a load of 14 gr. of TB and a 300 gr. bullet in the 45-60 target gun . Was accurate but was so mild that some bystanders thought it was a .22 mag . 76 . Sad ! ,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:10:16 PM »
Now that I have your attention,  ;D I want to fireform another batch of Jamison brass. I'm thinking a charge of 14.0 gr of TrailBoss (got alot of it) under a .459 350gr Laser Cast bullet. (got lots of them too). What think?

Well that worked  - got my attention real quick.

I found another 100 348 cases under the bench last week - been thinkin about what to do
I once upon a time had a not so nice experience with red dot - 38 special case reloads in a 357 mag model 92 - went from ok/safe to case separation when I upped the projectile 10 grains. So I am overly hesitant (read scared maybe!) using fast burning smokeless powder to blow cases out (blow up gun is the worry).

Last time around I annealed the cases, neck expanded up to 45 cal (three steps), put em through the FL size die to get the shoulder, then went shootin with blackpowder, the shootin part was fun, I needed the practice, the rifle was accurate enough with the forming loads to be fun.  I think that is what I am gonna do with these ones too.
I shoot into a backstop most of the time so I can retrieve the lead and I roll me own powder so cost is only primers and loading time. I think you just made my mind up!!         

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:05:03 PM »

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 04:02:09 AM »
I shot a load of 14 gr. of TB and a 300 gr. bullet in the 45-60 target gun . Was accurate but was so mild that some bystanders thought it was a .22 mag . 76 . Sad ! ,,,DT
                    Looked back into my records for the Trail Boss load , it was not 14 gr. that I used .The load I tried was 12.5 gr TB with a 300 gr. bullet in the 45-60 . It sounded like PAP , was very accurate but only good for close range plinking . That was the end of TB in my 76 rifles  ! ,,,,,DT

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 07:46:26 AM »
I'm open to suggestions, not looking for boomers, just fun plinkers to fireform to the Uberti chamber.
King Medallion

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 10:06:20 AM »
Why don't you do as I have done and have3 had no problems.  I have used Bullseye on the primer and Cream of Wheat for a filler and a wax plug over the whole mess.  Saves bullets and still gets the job done.  If you chance to look at some of my posts you will see what I have said.  To uses bullets, unless you want  to seems a waste of good bullets.  To me at least.  I have used this method for Jamison and 348 cases all with no problems.

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 12:31:34 PM »
Exactly as larryo1 says......been doing it that way for yrs and yrs. The creme  of wheat powder/wax is messy and you will need a clean up. Works great and is cheap. Don't fire this in the garage.....its loud!
kw

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 04:01:52 PM »
Well, mostly because I don't have any of that stuff, and I guess I don't consider fun plinkers rounds a waste of components. Lead down range for a purpose and fun is win win to me. Thank you both for the suggestions, I do appreciate them.
King Medallion

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 04:26:25 PM »
Well, mostly because I don't have any of that stuff, and I guess I don't consider fun plinkers rounds a waste of components. Lead down range for a purpose and fun is win win to me. Thank you both for the suggestions, I do appreciate them.

I have my own little 100yard range - dirt mound up by the workshop - recycle my lead and I need all the trigger practice I can get so I will go that way - If I was buying powder and wasting the lead - red dot and cream of wheat would maybe be a better plan - but Im not so its not.

(still wish I could find a use for that red dot - theres 15 pound of it for free and then about as much WST - plus 15K shotgun primers - dang I hate to see free stuff hangin round and cant use it) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com