Author Topic: It's Cold  (Read 5634 times)

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: It's Cold
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 03:11:30 PM »
I certainly miss the typical Flordidian winter wear_  shorts, flip flops, and a hoodie.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 03:26:22 PM »
A pox on you, your flip flops, shorts and hoody .... >:(
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2019, 04:47:58 PM »
Hey, I still run around here in boxers and a fuzzy flannel shirt, and flip flops... I don't care for it below 40 though 🙄

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:38:29 AM »

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2019, 11:37:15 PM »
OK, now,
As I post this it is 13 degrees F and there is a -3 Wind Chill outside in the forest that surrounds my old farm house. Inside it is comfy cool to me but freezing to my wifey. To us Iowegians it feels balmy, that is because of the way we eat, drink and dress. Our solid outdoor farming work ethics, i.e. work til ya drop then have supper and bed after a full pot of black coffee, gives us the inner strength to git 'r done in almost no clothes at all. Since we generally feel hot during most Winter months and have little or no consideration for heavy wool clothing, a sleeveless T, knee-length shorts, a Vikings baseball hat and mud boots most likely can be seen on almost anyone working in these climes. To get away with that you must be from a direct lineage of Norsemen, particularly those that paddled over with the saga Vikings.
So, here I is, dressed as such above, a Viking son-of-sons-of-same, sweating in 13 degree temps. When it was 30 below air temp I did put on a flannel short-sleeve shirt for a 1/2 hour to warm my shoulders but got overheated, go figure. I emphasize with those of thin blood as my wifey of 45 plus years reminds me daily I should get dressed, I simply shrug and tell her to put on her insulated long janes and pour another cup of hot coffee. I can generally duck the thrown pot but sometimes I get dinged like this morning. Ah, well, such is life!
Best regards and keep the cooking fire going!
'Ol Gabe

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 12:21:30 PM »
-31C (-22F) this am, expected to warm to -17C later. No wind. The wind is the killer. I've learned to respect it.

My 5'2" wife goes for a daily morning jog with the dogs wearing her Sorel mukluks, parka and togue. Later we do a "pack" walk and again mid-afternoon. In between she's buried in her quilting.

I may go for a x-country ski later if the wind stays down. I wear a turtle neck under a fleece lined jacket, ski pants. If it's sunny, that is sufficient.

A few years ago, I decided to do the final leg of the annual 100 Km Dog Sled Mail Run which I was told was 25 kms. Wrong. It was 25 MILES through mountainous terrain. I had extra gloves, one extra layer, water and chocolate - no means of making a fire.

Up top, I ran into a blizzard that ice coated me. Stopping was out of the question. The organizers did not know that I was on the trail and at my wife's insistence, sent out a snowmobile to check on me when I only had 10 km left to go. They asked if I was OK and when I gave the affirmative, left.
I beat two dog teams that had come to grief on the trail, completing the course in 5-1/2 hours. It was more of a personal triumph than any of eight marathons I ran.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2019, 05:10:39 PM »
Cool change came through here yesterday temp dropped from a touch over 100 down to about 85 - violent winds for several hours a big red dust storm - visibility down to a couple hundred yards at its worst. Our little farm has still got decent ground cover over most of it but country where they still have their sheep numbers intact is blowing topsoil every bit of wind - yesterday was brutal ......meanwhile ........north of us a ways (2000km) where I have some work clients they are in the worst flood since who knows when 40 to 60 inches of rain in the last ten days not an uncommon report - big disaster ........who decided it was ok to build fancy houses on a floodplain where tropical cyclones are a common part of the weather ?   

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 06:15:46 PM »
I used to live in a town (Merritt, BC, near the Nicola Ranch where that lost Cowboy was from) that was on a flood plain between two fast flowing rivers that periodically flood in the spring run off.

People never learned and kept building houses and apartment blocks that got flooded every 10 years or so. I have no idea why I escaped being flooded as I was located right between the two rivers. There were no storm sewers.

The town where I live now has a subdivision of nice homes again built on a flood plain subject to 'once in a century' 'flooding. Only a man made bank of rip rap keeps the river at bay.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2019, 02:54:25 AM »
I used to live in a town (Merritt, BC, near the Nicola Ranch where that lost Cowboy was from) that was on a flood plain between two fast flowing rivers that periodically flood in the spring run off.

People never learned and kept building houses and apartment blocks that got flooded every 10 years or so. I have no idea why I escaped being flooded as I was located right between the two rivers. There were no storm sewers.

The town where I live now has a subdivision of nice homes again built on a flood plain subject to 'once in a century' 'flooding. Only a man made bank of rip rap keeps the river at bay.

and only until the river beats that 1 in 100 flood
every levee bank on earth will be overtopped at some point in history - but when it happens "the system" ----govt regulators, insurance companies, banks --expect the prudent people - the ones that built on good foundations out of harms way to help pay the damage bill ---same in bushfires out here - city people move out into the bush - loverly - some of em even build fancy houses with big old eucalypt trees growing out the roof - most of the time they live a wonderful life - birds singin in the garden - the smell of fresh leaves all around - wind in the trees - - - then the red steer comes - 45 degrees celcius - 25% humidity - howling winds 40 to 100km an hour - then the eucalyptus oil burns like vaporised gasoline - top fires jump miles ahead at the time - people die - but we dont learn the lessons.   

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2019, 11:10:16 AM »
-34C again today. Some snow forecast tomorrow.

The lack of snow and the wildfire devastation of the last two years means another dry season this year = more wildfires. Our climate has been irrevocably altered for all time.

I went x-country skiing yesterday for an hour after it warmed to -17C, but even with high tech mitts, my hands damn near froze 'cause there was a slight breeze.

Not as much fun as it used to be at one time under the same conditions. I think I'm gettin' old ....  :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com