Author Topic: Accurate Molds  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Accurate Molds
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 03:40:45 AM »
Lee Pot set at 8.5,  pre heat on hot plate while pot melts, I run one mold at a time.  You do have to run aluminum molds hot and keep them hot.  I melt chilled shot, and flux every 100 bullets or so.  You cannot rotate aluminum molds like steel I have found.  
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 08:49:54 AM »
Just got one that casts .375 heel base bullets for my old Colt DAs. Nice mold, makes pretty boolits.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 06:09:02 PM »
I only have 1 Accurate mold(so far) makes real nice bullets for my 8mm French Ordinance Revolver.
Lee Pot set at 9,  pre heat on hot plate while pot melts, I run one mold at a time.  You do have to run aluminum molds hot and keep them hot.  I melt chilled shot, and flux every 100 bullets or so.  You cannot rotate aluminum molds like steel I have found. 

Wow, I have a Lee pot and I don't have to set it that high. Maybe 7-8 at most. Maybe it's the alloy, I'm using Wheel Weights, I think shot has very little or no tin, only lead and antimony. I'm casting hot enough that frosted bullets are the norm.

B. Ed, I've got a nice mold for Heel Base .38s, and the crimp die to go with it, but it's a brass mold from Old West Molds. Unfortunately, I didn't make one of my better gun buys when I got the revolver they go with. Maybe someday I'll get another that works better, or else make up a "Cartridge Navy Conversion" to use the mold I already have.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:18:40 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 02:04:00 PM »
I was wrong, it's usually between 8 and 8.5.  I keep thinking the top setting is 10, but it only goes to 9!

I just received an aluminum 2 cavity Accurate 36-190T mold, for casting heavy bullet .38 S&W loads.  Took it out to the garage today, preheated it on the hotplate with the Lee pot on 8.5.  Cast 50 bullets, every one perfect.  (Frosted though, I like frosted) Ambient temp 32 f, snow on the ground.  They all dropped .362 across the driving bands.

I have a Lyman thermometer, the temp was, believe it or not, 850.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 08:28:38 AM »
It might be because the one I have the most trouble with is five cavity so it's a big block of aluminum.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 04:44:43 PM »
I have a 5 cavity 32-20 aluminum mold from Accurate that works really well.  My digital thermocouple says 850 Deg F, although I tend to think it reads high.  My bullets are not frosted and look good.  I run the temp the same for all of my molds (all 5 cavity aluminum) from 32-20 to 45-70.  Also have a single cavity for 40-65.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com