Author Topic: 73 or 66 , WHY ???  (Read 11766 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: 73 or 66 , WHY ???
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2019, 07:11:28 PM »

greyhawk  :D

Heavens to Mergatroyd NO.  Not at all offended.  Not even annoyed.  These here forums and threads are all about learning stuff and having fun.  When I poke fun a folks, I expect fun to be poked back.  Playin all by yourself inna sandbox is no fun at all!!

By the way.  NO.  The '73 and '66 ladle profiles are completely different.  Uberti use to have a ladle that was bullet proof.  Never broke.  then they decided to "enhance" the design and came up with a new design that was and is gar-un-teed to break.  Some may last a while and some won't last more'n 5 rounds.  There are some aftermarket ladles that are made from much sterner stuff, but are the same basic design with that stupid little bent tab. 

My personal Opine ..... If your '66 has not had that little dumb tab reinforced, whether OEM or aftermarket, it needs reinforcement.  PERIOD.  Atz the only weak spot in the '66

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2019, 08:21:19 PM »
greyhawk  :D

Heavens to Mergatroyd NO.  Not at all offended.  Not even annoyed.  These here forums and threads are all about learning stuff and having fun.  When I poke fun a folks, I expect fun to be poked back.  Playin all by yourself inna sandbox is no fun at all!!

By the way.  NO.  The '73 and '66 ladle profiles are completely different.  Uberti use to have a ladle that was bullet proof.  Never broke.  then they decided to "enhance" the design and came up with a new design that was and is gar-un-teed to break.  Some may last a while and some won't last more'n 5 rounds.  There are some aftermarket ladles that are made from much sterner stuff, but are the same basic design with that stupid little bent tab. 

My personal Opine ..... If your '66 has not had that little dumb tab reinforced, whether OEM or aftermarket, it needs reinforcement.  PERIOD.  Atz the only weak spot in the '66

aaah ha (he sez) our 66's are antique Ubertis - the ones with the trigger block thingy - 1970's vintage - also know a couple more of those locally - know Nuthin about broken ladles never heered of sich a thing till I read about it here - so looks like we got the ones you talk of with the bullet proof ladle?? ???

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2019, 11:01:41 PM »
aaah ha (he sez) our 66's are antique Ubertis - the ones with the trigger block thingy - 1970's vintage - also know a couple more of those locally - know Nuthin about broken ladles never heered of sich a thing till I read about it here - so looks like we got the ones you talk of with the bullet proof ladle?? ???

Mine made in 2000 has the bulletproof ladle.  I'm not positive, but I think when they got to s/n 99999 on the toggle link guns and started over at W00001 that is approximately the time they changed the ladle.  They also changed the ladle screw size, got larger with the new ladle.

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 04:16:54 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2019, 04:28:06 AM »
Here is what I can testify to....
I bought a SRC with 1979 date code in March of 1980 , NIB imported by Navy Arms, I know (having bought a case of 38's) I put over a thousand , probably closer to 1600  through it, by the time it was sold in 1988. Never a hickup in 8 years which includes no broken ladle.
All rounds were factory loads of various manufactures.
I sold it and it has stayed around these parts, and as far as I know has not broken , least ways the PO said it has not  :-\

Several Henry's later and still have 3 of those (2 are 45's) (one is a 44/40 HRA ) and a 73 in 44spcl.
Aside from a buggered magazine spring in a early 1979 Uberti/Navy Arms  44/40 Henry ( my fault) bought NIB , they all have been used in CAS.

Now then, enter a Uberti 66 short rifle in 38spcl. bought NIB from Taylor's in 2012, ladie broke first shot on a second stage
so after a 10 round prior stage... or  11th round it broke.
 This was not my gun, but belongs to my shooting pard so I know it well enough... I repaired it with replacement sent free of charge
 by the girls at Taylor's and now 7 years later , it has not broken...

Truth be known, my Pard changes up with Marlin 94 Cowboy in 45 more often than not , so the 66 is used less than 100% of the time.
If I guessed maybe 500 rounds or so since the new ladie was installed.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2019, 12:22:11 PM »

Just Cause.  Early Winchester 1866 Rifles held a FLAT ladle.  I don't know what the cartridge stop looked like.  Nobody who owns one would let me look at it real close (take it apart).  I suspect, the backside of the ladle had a welded lengthwise fence sort of thing.

Later models of the Winchester '66 exhibit a Ladle with a much deeper "scoop" to the business end.  I again suspect the welded fence.  Let us remember, the original Winchester 1866 was, at best only manufactured in 44 Henry Flat, it's equivalent, or the difficult to find Central Fire 44.

Uberti 1866 replicants started with a ladle displaying a modest "scoop" and a welded fence on the back of the ladle.  Indestructible.  This ladle was later enhanced by changing to the "bent tab"guaranteed to break.  The after-market was already providing a replacement ladle with a more correct "deep Scoop" ladle.  Business for the replacement ladle boom'd.  I just automatically replaced the ladle on every '66 I worked on.  Now Uberti has gone to a deeper scoop however it is not yet the deep scoop of the Original Sample Example.  Need the after-market for that.

The After-market ladle from the current vendors is made of much sterner stuff than the OEM Uberti example.  I, personally would still reinforce it.  Just 'cause I'm jaundiced by the constant breakage of the Originals (Uberti).

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2019, 03:04:36 PM »
Being able to shoot a rifle in the original caliber from 140+ years ago, makes the 73 my first choice. I also appreciate the easier to remove sideplates.  If however you are portraying an earlier time period, shooting a centerfire Henry or 66 is still a hellava lotta fun with a case full of B.P.!
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 04:04:11 PM »
To expand on that...
" Being able to shoot a rifle in the original caliber from 140+ years ago, makes the 73 my first choice"

having a 73 that is 128 years old you can still shoot !  ...priceless !

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2019, 10:13:14 PM »
To expand on that...
" Being able to shoot a rifle in the original caliber from 140+ years ago, makes the 73 my first choice"

having a 73 that is 128 years old you can still shoot !  ...priceless !

Yes it is, I have one turning 140 real soon that gets shot once in a while. Black powder of course.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2019, 03:52:21 AM »
Of course  :)

Offline scrubby2009

• Very Active Citizen
  • Lifelong obsession with '73's
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2019, 11:46:16 AM »
...having a 73 that is 128 years old you can still shoot !  ...priceless !
We could be best pards. Nothing makes me giggle and shout like an afternoon with my iron-frame '73 (ser.#4741) and his companion NMA (ser.# 52,621). Gimme a pound of FFFg and some lead fer castin.... I will perforate paper and murder tin cans til the ol lady sez stop.
Responsive, timely, tactically accurate, and strategically precise fire.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2019, 11:56:34 AM »
We could be best pards. Nothing makes me giggle and shout like an afternoon with my iron-frame '73 (ser.#4741) and his companion NMA (ser.# 52,621). Gimme a pound of FFFg and some lead fer castin.... I will perforate paper and murder tin cans til the ol lady sez stop.

One of the things that surprised me about these ol' girls is they still actually shoot...and shoot well!

Granted the elder of my two had to have the barrel lined as the original was ruined to the point that bullets if the 25 yd. target sideways, if at all. But out to 200 yds., she's a dandy!

The '88 production, who is original all the way, shoots about as well.

Today I'm rehabbing a 1911 production '94 Winchester in 25-35. This old girl has seriously been "rode hard an put up wet". Broken hammer spur, worn out trigger and safety spring, bangs, dings, dents, scuffs, gouges andan  action full off black crud lead me to believe this one spent much of its life in a saddle scabbard and the floorboard of a ranch pickup. But she's ready to be used again!

Sorry to stray from the subject...

CHT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com