Author Topic: SRC and lefties  (Read 3447 times)

Offline William R. Foster

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SRC and lefties
« on: December 04, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »
Any lefties shooting a saddle ring carbine? Curious if the ring gets in the way at all. Im currently tore between a SRC in 44-40 or a Sporting rifle in 44-40. Personally i like the sporting rifle. I hunt with a 22” marlin so i cant imagine 2 more inches being any more cumbersome. Ive also heard of the front sight band rotating semi-easily thus losing zero on SRCs. Not sure how much truth their is to that. The main reason im considering the SRC is that it un-deniably would be handier and lighter and it is still visually appealing. More so than what they are calling the short rifle. This will not have a primary role as a match rifle, but for hunting, range, and varmints after my stock.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: SRC and lefties
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 05:52:38 PM »
I'm know you can buy the carbines without the saddle ring, my 1866 carbine didnt come with a saddle ring. It's a regular uberti one not a cimarron one though.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 05:59:55 PM »
A '73 is considerably heavier than a like-barreled Marlin.  I like the carbines and have them in .357 19", 44-40 19", and .45 16".   I like the rings but only two have it.  Don't know about rings and lefties, I never notice them when shooting right handed, I just like the looks.  I've not had problems with the front sights moving, but suppose that is a YMMV thing?

Yeah, the carbines come with and without rings.  Not sure if the blued receivers can have rings, but the CC ones definitely available with and without.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:52:48 PM »

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 06:03:21 PM »
A '73 is considerably heavier than a like-barreled Marlin.  I like the carbines and have them in .357 19", 44-40 19", and .45 16".   I like the rings but only two have it.  Don't know about rings and lefties, I never notice them when shooting right handed, I just like the looks.  I've not had problems with the front sights moving, but suppose that is a YMMV thing?

Yeah, the carbines come with and without rings.  Not sure if the blued receivers can have rings, but the CC ones definitely available with and without.

I weighed my Marlin. Its 0.5lb lighter than a 24” 73 and around 0.5lb heavier than the 19” SRC.

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 08:12:14 PM »
I shoot left handed and with all types of carbines have never even noticed the rings. Sharps, Burnsides, Winchesters and trapdoor.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 08:39:36 PM »
I shoot left handed and with all types of carbines have never even noticed the rings. Sharps, Burnsides, Winchesters and trapdoor.

Good to know its a non-issue. Thanks.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 06:23:05 AM »
If there is any doubt just get one without the sling ring, I order mine without anyway and I'm right handed.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 08:31:38 AM »
If there is any doubt just get one without the sling ring, I order mine without anyway and I'm right handed.

Would that have to be ordered straight from Cimarron?

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 10:18:04 AM »
Would that have to be ordered straight from Cimarron?

You can order with or without saddle ring.  What is available in stock is another issue.  If a carbine has the saddle ring, there will be "AS1" added to the model number.  For example, a 44-40 blued carbine with saddle ring is CA240AS1. 

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 03:35:29 PM »
WRF,

Just a suggestion on my part...
Don't over think is issue of the SRC. The "ring" on the SRC, for hunting, is a noise problem. It warns the game with a metallic sound that is not familiar to them in nature.
Historically, most used a leather thong to deaden the metallic noise, or simply removed the ring by cut the it off.
The Military used the ring to attach a sling swivel for the Troopers to carry the Carbines. (Civilians don't!)
Hope this helps.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 04:04:51 PM »
As Blair said the biggest complaint I ever had was noise when hunting. Any carbine I've owned with one and hunted with I put a leather thong on if it didn't already have one.

I don't know if they are in the way at all with a lefty since I shoot right handed but......my uncle was a lefty and they were taken off of his guns for some reason so there is that and this thread has got me wondering what the reason was. I still have one of his old model 1894's and it has the whole ring gone with a plug in the receiver.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 04:29:11 PM »
I was thinking about this question.  Not until I read the OP's question though.  Just never came up.  Sort of a "non thought."  Then I thought about it.  Don't have a clue why.  I have known several folks over the years that shot SRCs in CAS.  Can't remember anyone having problems with the "ring."

Now, understand, some of the folks with SRCs had carefully staged their rifles so the ring stood the rifle up off the prop table to make the wrist of the rifle easier for a righty to grasp.  Securely grasping one's rifle seems to be a really great idea.  Of course, sometimes the rifle was "moved" by Poltergeist whom either caused the rifle to slide forward or backward, collapsing down off the ring.  What a shame.  But I digress.  Moving right along ........

The Saddle Ring and "Staple" are forward of the wrist.  No, not the shooters wrist (well, that too) but the rifle's wrist.  Because the staple and ring are completely forward of the wrist where one might conceivably grasp the rifle for the act of aiming and firing said rifle, I personally don't see where the SRC could be any form of a die fucultie for a leftie.  Perhaps.

Of course, because of the location of the staple and ring being on the near side (as opposed to the far side) for a leftie, the possibility of staging the rifle "up" on the ring aren't even an opportune option.  Nope, stuck with the rifle staged .... flat.

So ..... in summation, the Saddle Ring Carbine is neither at advantage nor disadvantage to a leftie.  Being located forward of the wrist and away from grasping hands, the Staple and ring also pose no hinderance for a leftie and therefore, may be completely ignored except as decoration.  Unless the user is also assigned to an actual calvary unit equipped with horses (not very likely, although possible) in which case, the SRC would be quite handy to have.  Therefore, should one be in possession of an example of the SRC ... Get A Horse !!!  

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 08:24:44 PM »
Naw I've got some of the nags, they eat too much, cheaper to just cut off the ring.

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com