Author Topic: Wambaugh & White M1858 fatigue blouse.  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wambaugh & White M1858 fatigue blouse.
« on: November 15, 2018, 08:30:57 PM »
I got my first serious piece of uniform today a museum grade fatigue blouse from W&W. I'm seriously impressed with the quality of the materials and construction, I cant say enough good things. This coat is fantastic. I went with the largest size that would have been historically correct, because I've seen a lot of photographs and read a lot of accounts that describe, uniforms are being ill fitting and baggy. Im working on G Co, 9th U.S. Infantry 74'-76' and I know they were issued alot of these right before Crook's BH&Y expeditions. But its such a common item that I can use it for other impressions too.

The only major things I still need are trousers, bootees, and drawers.

Though I'm working on an infantry impression, I played around with a cavalry look for fun, with private purchase shirt, hat and gauntlets.

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Wambaugh & White M1858 fatigue blouse.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 07:44:41 AM »
I knew that Raquel Welch was getting up there in age but who knew she was a star in the 1870's :o
GAF#379

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 03:42:18 PM »
Hey! Tread lightly now, that's my wife yer blabberin' about! How that pic got on that Pard's wall is unknown to me, she must have traded that last roll of film to that new Chinese Laundry down the street, they'll trade for anything to bring in new business from all the soldiers and cowpokes lingerin' about town.
Well, anyway, it IS a nice outfit and does look pretty spiffy on him, wish he was on a horse or holding one up, might give a little more credence to his proposed opines.
Best regards and don't start countin' her stitches yet, you might get lost somewheres around the middle!
'Ol Gabe

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:08:35 PM »

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 04:34:37 PM »
Yer wife is a fine looking woman.  Maybe she's gonna run off with Doc? ???

Just kidding around Doc, that looks good.

What shooting irons you got there?  Looks like a Remington NMA's, Colt 1860 Army a '51 Navy?
GAF#379

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 05:17:02 PM »

Well, anyway, it IS a nice outfit and does look pretty spiffy on him, wish he was on a horse or holding one up, might give a little more credence to his proposed opines.

I've only ridden a horse once, though I was serving with the Seventh cavalry, its the wrong uniform buts its the best I can do right now  :P

Yer wife is a fine looking woman.  Maybe she's gonna run off with Doc? ???

Just kidding around Doc, that looks good.

What shooting irons you got there?  Looks like a Remington NMA's, Colt 1860 Army a '51 Navy?

Yes they are, Ive had the revolvers, carbine, and related leather for a while now. I bought them with no real intention of getting into GAF or anything. I just wanted the guns, then I had to get the leather, then everything sort of grows up around them; you know how it is.  I've been reading a lot and I was really taken in when I learned about the wide mix of percussion and metallic cartridge revolvers in service in the early 1870's. I was surprised to learn they were mixed even within the same companies.  I'm seriously considering getting one of those Americans from cimarron when they're available.

I settled on an infantry impression because I have no horse. I'm really learning a lot of stuff about G co 9th U.S. Infantry, and the impression is coming along nice, Im just trying be be careful with my research and I'm taking my time to get the highest quality stuff I can afford. Today I was able to get the ordnance returns printed out on ledger paper.

I would like to do a cavalry impression later on, but all I have is a Sharps percussion carbine, so that limits me to the 1st and 5th Cavalry to 1868-69'-ish? McChristian isnt clear on that part.

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 05:25:18 PM »
Doc,  Y're doing a great job.  A real 7th cav trooper!

I appreciate it when guys share there research. 

Do you have McChristian's 2 volume set?
GAF#379

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 05:50:16 PM »
Yes I have McChristian's 1870-1880 and the 2 volume set 1880-1892, and a few of Dorsey's books, they're great resources. McChristian, Rickey, and Utley gave me a good overall history. Pitspitr sent me ordnance returns, and I read some of the army's official unit histories, which were awesome.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com