Author Topic: The latest from Standard Manufacturing...  (Read 6380 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: The latest from Standard Manufacturing...
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 05:37:33 PM »
Reminds me of the STI Texican from four or five years ago.  Greatest single action ever built, locks up like a bank vault, etc.  Dead on arrival.  I think the Standard will have the same fate.  There is simply not a large enough market for $2,000.00 single actions.  Colt has for all practical purposes ceased production of the SAA, USFA is gone, STI was stillborn.  Standard is fighting an uphill battle.  Personally I would never pay $2,000.00 for a "standard" single action.  Sort of like naming a restaurant the Tomaine Palace or Bloated Goat.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 05:50:59 PM »
Yeah, it's a lot of money.  However, I find that as I get older I really appreciate a well-made piece of machinery.  And while they function, the Italian copies have never really impressed me. 

I could really be interested in one (or maybe even a pair) of the Standard's if the quality, fit and finish is truly top notch.

I wish them good fortune and hope they succeed!
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:36:42 PM »

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1159
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2019, 12:36:37 AM »
I had to come back to add:

I am gratified to see that the company came through with the standard .45 colt Standard, are making more, than the original
run,  and they are now showing up in stores! The other good news is that by using CNC machinery, they can easily change
production at the swap of the software, and thus build a short or long run depending on the market.

However,
I may be a grumpy old fart, but I am personally Highly Put Off by the  "Standard" managment team.

They went to the ends of the earth to proclaim their new SAA as the veritable Acme of Perfection in every way, with
no need to clean up or tune anything!

Then a respectable ( and honest!  :o  )  gun scribe received one for review. He started posting his honest
findings of the pluses and the small warts and required tuning on the web as he went, prior to his article.

Standard's corporate mouthpiece went ballistic, demanded the gun back, cancelled the article ( wait can one actually do that if
one is not paying for the article?) and, well, acted like a spoilt  3 year old brat. It also seems they want to review articles
prior to publication.

They "could have" taken the honest feedback as a learning process, and aknowledged and corrected the defects and flaws.

Instead they ranted and denied any problems .

That REALLY makes me wonder how they will treat us consumers, the great unwashed public.

Well, I refuse to reward bad behaviour.

So, In this case I will simply vote with my dollars that will instead buy a well-tuned "something else"
and  in this case since I will have money left over I will apply it to a MOSSBERG SPX 930 ( cuz I have enough antique doubles)
and a new water heater (And another cap pistol.) and still have money left over.

that's just me,
everyone needs to do as you think best

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2019, 11:02:43 AM »
Prof,

I certainly wasn't aware of the hurrah over the review article.  You are correct in that is extremely poor behavior by Standard marketing department.  And I surely wouldn't give them control over whether an article was published and what was said in it.

I'll have to investigate things a little further. 

It sure is a dang purty revolver, though...............
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2019, 02:30:05 PM »
Prof,

I certainly wasn't aware of the hurrah over the review article.  You are correct in that is extremely poor behavior by Standard marketing department.  And I surely wouldn't give them control over whether an article was published and what was said in it.

I'll have to investigate things a little further. 

It sure is a dang purty revolver, though...............

My Good Blackburn -

You are right, it is a BEAUTIFUL revolver! And it is at a valid price-point for a high-quality American made Single Action.
I actually am pleased that they are succeeding, and hope they continue to do so.

I am just a cheap bar stich  frugal sort, and sometimes the Marketeers rub me the wrong way.

Like The Original Pyrodex marketeers claiming it would not corrode at all ( that was just lies).

and the initial marketeers for the Henry Rifle Company ( home of the Big Boy) claiming their fugly products were authentic to the Henry, etc. ( but now that they succeeded & have a market base Henry is making an actual Henry!)

I guess I am just a grumpy old phart screaming at the wind every time a Marketeer lies, cheats, or casts hyperbole as "fact".  :D

Hell, if Donnelly hadn't gotten into trouble and gone under I would STILL be saving up for a Shopkeeper Omnipotent....
and if USFA were still in business, they would be charging $1800 too ....

Should I be holding an enitre company to task over marketing hype? I guess that's my cross-eyed-bear...

Maybe if Standard prices get a little better and they make a shopkeeper/thunderer or bisley I might change my mind...

oh wait Pietta makes this for cheap

and Uberti makes these for cheap

so probably not.
OMG I just can't help it I am SO CHEAP , I am afraid I will drop it and scratch it that's why I don't have really nice things  :-[

yhs
prof grumbly old pharting bear
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2019, 09:49:44 PM »
Prof,

Maybe you would be interested in a SASS sub-group that I recently founded with a few friends?  We are known as the GOB's - Grumpy Old Bas*****.   ;D ::)

I agree with you on marketing hype.  But I'm also a sucker for a really finely finished and fitted piece of machinery - especially if it uses organic propellants (charcoal, sulfur and bat sh**) to throw projectiles.

Heck, I was all ready to plunk down money for the Merwin Hulbert we kept being told was coming out just any month now.........and that was what, about 10 years ago now?
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 01:37:53 AM »
Prof,

Maybe you would be interested in a SASS sub-group that I recently founded with a few friends?  We are known as the GOB's - Grumpy Old Bas*****.   ;D ::)

well, I still am a member of the "Cheap Sharps Club" e'en tho I havent been able to get out and shoot my IAB in over 8 years...

yhs
prof my gawd am i cheap
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com