Author Topic: Your favorite "Not CAS knives" ..... sheath knife  (Read 7904 times)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Your favorite "Not CAS knives" ..... sheath knife
« on: September 07, 2018, 07:57:14 PM »
In an effort to generate some discussion, I am going to post some crap topics regarding ,
some, well .... "less than Cowboy" modernisch knives... and in the Saloon since "Cutting Edge" is for pre-1900....

I don't pretend to have done a whole lot of hunting, fishing, skinning, or whatever. My family did none, so
except for the Boy Scouts, I was on my own. Thus my needs for a sheath knife were for a more"utility camp & trail" knife.

My first sheath knife (bought with my own money from mowing lawns) was a Kabar Bowie, the commercial version of the Marine Corps knife. It served me well, but turned out to be a tad too long. I fussed about with others, 3-4" blades, mostly drop points.
Since I had begun making knives  ( mostly forging) it was easy on the pocket to experiment.
I Tried out some traditional Green River Designs, and they were dandy but except for some short butchers weren't
the one "all round knife" I desired.

Finally some years back I finally settled on two:
1) the Buck 119. It is sturdy, strong, keeps an edge, "does about everything" and is affordable.

2) the Puma White Hunter. It is an oddball, seems to be a "chopper/skinner" . I had always wanted one since I was a sprout, and is designed as a "do-all" tool. it's certainly not for everyone

What is your favorite modern knife, and why?

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Re: Your favorite "Not CAS knives" ..... sheath knife
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 09:51:22 AM »
Sorry, I don't have a picture. My favorite is a Randall Made boot knife called the "Guardian". I carried it tucked down in my boot all through my LEO career. Never had to pull it but it was a comfort having it there.

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 11:55:37 AM »

Unfortunately, I don't do pictures well .... but I have two "favorites."  Number one is my Gerber Mark II combat knife.  Spent many years attached to my Web Gear and went all over the world.  Number two, is a Boker, Tree Brand Classic drop point folder that came with a nifty fitted "holster" to ride cross draw on my belt.  Really nice knives.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:40:34 AM »

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 05:45:30 PM »
Ah my Good Netizens -

"may I be of Assistance?"

For Dave:
from Randalls site, the Randall Guardian ( A Modern rendition of the classic San Francisco Boot Dagger )

For Coffin:
Boker Tree Brand Drop Point -
(Heaveans, this is nearly identical to my current EDC Kershaw 3160)

from Gerber's Site, the Gerber MkII combat dagger

Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 05:47:23 PM »
I had a genuine Gerber Guardian and Gerber MkI. Carried Them almost constantly but seldom "used" them (thank god) and other "oddball crap" that always seems to appeal to the young guys ( I was once young? why yes, I guess so!)  and thus began the search for a more useable utility knife.  My drop point fixed bladers and folders were better at cutting rope, boxes, bagels, and spreading peanut butter and creamcheese ( thus were used numerous times daily!)  :D but could also serve well as a defensive device.

Gerber MkI ( Gott in Himmel , I cannot beleive  they quit making them!!!)

Gerber Guardian ( A Modern interpretation of the Boot Dagger)

gerber FSIID

Goofy Stuff
gerber Touche Belt Buckle Knife

bowen belt buckle knife

-------------------------------------------

For actual daily use, the Bob Loveless and Randall Drop point designs at ~ 4" blade length seemed ideal!

Thus began my obsession with forging 3-5 inch drop point blades... that always seemed to turn out "old timey" anyway!

Ah my word, look what we found here - printable knife patterns web pages!

http://dcknives.blogspot.com/p/knife-profiles.html
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 09:26:54 PM »

Ah .... Good Perfesser ......

Moochie appreciatemus.  I simply have had ZERO luck trying to put photo evidence with my thread contributions.  I don't know how to make mine small enough to meet the requirements of most Forums.  All my electronic devices are MAC.  I positively love Apple products.  Wunderbar as it twer.  However:

I an well versed at how to turn them on.  Make a phone call.  Poke around of the Web.  Take a photo.  Then turn them off and plug in to charge.  After that, I are Tech Illiterate.  I defer IT questions to my sweetheart.  Keeps me out of trouble. 

My Boker folder has real fancy Stag Horn handles.  I did forget my most recent A.G. Russel acquisition.  It is a folding Chef Knife.  Quite the Trix piece of kit.  Goes well when on Mouse Safari.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 05:35:16 AM »
I never gave "favorite" any though....
I have a Case Arapaho I've had about 40 years I suppose that would have to get the nod if force to choose.
I've become very fond of it , just because it has been around for so long , it was Gift all those years ago.

My most costly I have to say is my push dagger. Custom made by Mike Carter

But my Kit knife, the one I carry on my (NCOWS) gun belt is a charccoal forged roach belly.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 06:26:25 AM »
Oh Oh Oh  :)  related to  "Your favorite "Not CAS knives" ..... " by the good Prof.

How about my Cub Scout folder..... Oh I have a Boker "tree brand" Stag , and a Benchmade ( Camel shinbone scales) Barlow's, and Horseman's folder w/ hoof pick,   several Case's , Oldtimer's , Bucks and a Col. Littleton also with Camel shinbone scales my daily carry  ...

but the interesting story ( to me anyway ) is the Cub Scout folder....
I've had it 63 years .... except for about 2 days ....
You see, when I was Cub Scout about 1955-6,  I was given this knife as Christmas gift from my Dad.
Now, a Cub Scout was not completely in uniform without this folder hanging from a snap hook on his belt.
Also, on Thursday's ( I remember Thursday, I just don't recall if it was every Thursday ) We had "Den" meetings after school.
This required us to wear our uniforms to school , and included this knife in OPEN CARRY on my belt in school  ( try that today ! )

Anyway, on this particular Thursday my ( this ) knife went missing , managed to un-hook ( Snaphook was damaged )...
I thought it lost for good, but in the off chance someone had found it ( 7 year olds naïve mind ) and turned it in to LOST & FOUND at school  ???

I went to the school office, and asked ( again try that one TODAY , a 7 year old asking for his KNIFE Back at SCHOOL )  :o

By Gosh, someone had found it , "HAD" turned it in, and THEY ( School office person ) did return it to me  :o

Can you imagine that .... Well that was 1955 , and a totally different world....

As I write this,  I have the old knife in my hand   :)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 07:50:23 AM »
My Baltimore County elementary school did a May Day event every year. This particular year we did some silliness to commmorate the Battle of North Point, an engagement between the Maryland and Baltimore militia and a British landing force in the War of 1812. Anyway we wore mock uniforms, marched around and I carried my ? bayonet and a friend carried his Civil War saber as we marched around the field in formation. And nobody got hurt except the British as I recall. The school has since been demolished but the playgrounds and ball diamonds are still there. Simpler times.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 02:33:58 PM »
Thanks Prof! That's exactly what my Randall looks like, except for a few more miles on it. Riding around for years stuffed down in a boot top through Arizona summers, monsoon seasons, winter rains, and all the various crime scenes one encounters on the job has left my Guardian less than pristine. That's OK. It earned the look. (smile)

Dave

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 02:40:48 PM »
Thanks gents! Pray continue...

I Love the backstory to the cub scout knife, and I am intrigued by the blade choices at the time.

here is a photo of a Boker Stag drop point folder - is this the type Coffin and Major2 mentioned ?

and here a stock photo of a Puma bowie that Mrs Marvel gave me

prf mvl
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 04:03:15 PM »
This would be like my Boker

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 02:21:24 PM »
My favorite, I only had for a very brief time.   Circa 1977, I was 11 and had more cash than my parents knew.  When the local fall festival commenced, I went down with a pocket full of coin.   There was a guy selling knives.   I bought a WWI trench knife and a set of brass knuckles.  What 11 year old boy does not need those.   For about a week, it held a place on my belt and the knuckles a place in my pocket.  Then my dad saw me ride home.   "Where did you get those?!!!!!"  He was not pleased that I had spent a grand total of $18 dollars on them.   He took them for when I was older.   Last I saw of them.   I am guessing the knuckles went right to the Illinois River.    I am guessing the trench knife made its way to someone who offered dad a bit of coin for.  Either way, at 52 I am apparently still not old enough as he passed before I got them back.  Other wise this is my belt knife.  It is kind of western, but I carry it a lot.   Dad made it from a bandsaw blade that broke.  It irritated him to no end how often these broke at the plant.  He made about 4 or 5 of these when I was 10.   This was the only one I could find when he died.  I put a antler and guard on it as he had screwed a cut down broom handle to it and used it in the garden.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 07:06:58 PM »
Coffin makers  pride and joy

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 07:14:46 PM »
For serious work or bug out, I have one of these

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 08:20:19 PM »
Ah my Good Netizens -

"may I be of Assistance?"

For Dave:
from Randalls site, the Randall Guardian ( A Modern rendition of the classic San Francisco Boot Dagger )

For Coffin:
Boker Tree Brand Drop Point -
(Heaveans, this is nearly identical to my current EDC Kershaw 3160)

from Gerber's Site, the Gerber MkII combat dagger

I had a Gerber Mk II with the offset blade and no serrated edge when I was in 'Nam.  I gave it to my clerk when I left figuring I could get another once I got back.  Went through some financially bad years and when I could finally afford one I couldn't find one without those useless serrations.

Maybe some day.......maybe.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 08:28:32 PM »
Had a couple of Gerbers, and MkI and a MKII.  Let them both escape.

Found a knife in a Bud K catalog and just had to have it.  It's a double edge 4" blade (3 1/2" are sharpened......REALLY sharpened) Damascus with stag handles.  I think I paid $45.00 for it plus S&H.  It's actually shaving sharp after some work that was somewhat tedious.  Not SAS style but a mighty fine knife anyway.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 07:44:18 PM »
This was my "Get off me" knife for 17 years as a Field Parole Agent. A Cold Steel Culloden, a trusted old friend that is still just scary sharp.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 08:51:15 PM »
I have lots of knives.  Some are much better than others, but my current favourite is a pattern welded blade by "Blades of Augustine" in Vanderhoof, BC.  Pictured is the knife as I butchered a bull bison in November 2018.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 12:04:37 PM »
This was my "Get off me" knife for 17 years as a Field Parole Agent. A Cold Steel Culloden, a trusted old friend that is still just scary sharp.

Haven't heard the "get off me knife (or gun)" since my dad died.  Thanks for the memory.   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com