Author Topic: Anyone been shooting?  (Read 15518 times)

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Anyone been shooting?
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2018, 09:14:05 AM »
Gh
I would like to get out my '76 and do some shooting but this morning, it is only about a + 18 degrees here and the frost is definitely on the punkin here.  I been thinking about some shooting but with my age and eyes (81) I get attacked by a flurry of naps so have to take it as it comes.  But anyway, for those of us who do get to pull the trigger now and then have fun.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2018, 07:03:10 PM »
Gh
I would like to get out my '76 and do some shooting but this morning, it is only about a + 18 degrees here and the frost is definitely on the punkin here.  I been thinking about some shooting but with my age and eyes (81) I get attacked by a flurry of naps so have to take it as it comes.  But anyway, for those of us who do get to pull the trigger now and then have fun.

Got a few shots off (just makin holes in cardboard, nothing exciting) - made a new magazine tube for my 76 that eliminates front hanger band and the tie up between tube and barrel - trying to stop vertical stringing as the gun warms up.

First four were nice - no vertical at all!! then I pulled one left (or wind drift ? there was a bit of an intermittent breeze) number six went high of the group - by that time the barrel was quite hot (80 some degrees outside and shooting in the sun) -- so that looked pretty good ------I let it cool an hour and fired another five without cleaning - did a splatter group of about five inches - wasnt seein the target quite as well for the second lot - but disappointed - I expect might find some leading when I clean or maybe overused the blow tube - its humid outside and this rifle dont seem to like too much blow ?  Back to the drawing board maybe ?

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2018, 08:55:28 AM »
GH:

That group looks pretty good but I bet that flyer was 'cause you got a fly on that front sight!  That happens to me once in awhile!

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 07:07:11 AM »

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2018, 06:43:29 PM »
Larryo,, at 81 your my kind of "Hero ", ;D and that also means there's hope for me " yet " . Stay warm " SIR " .

smoke'm if ya' got'm << Hootmix .

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2018, 07:16:29 PM »
Slamfire:

Thankee kindly sir.I still like to play with my 1911 but only closeup so to speak (15 yards)  Then it takes me a bit of time to reload those pessky things.  That '76 is still settin there winkin at me now and then so it will get its chance here shortly if we get a warmish day one of these days.  Hang loose.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2018, 10:46:08 PM »
Yup !! ,, everybody round here was gone today , cept me & the dogs ( they don't reload ),, throwed my ready to go bag in the o'l Dodge ( 91 d250 ),, drove 15 mi. to the range ,, " darn " nuff folks there to have a BBQ ,, finally got to put up my targets ( Big deck of playing cards 12"x 14" ,, 5 of hearts ),, 50yds. ,208gn. w/ H4198 ,, my home made tang sight ,shoot'n single shot off a rest . First shot " bull's eye " throwed up my hands " that's it I'm done ,, going home" ,, next 4 rds. in the center heart ( life is good ) ,, next 3 rds. 3/4" group , just 2ins. left ( just couldn't leave well enough alone ) of center heart  ( sigh ) the last 2 rds. fell in love with each other and ran off ,, some where. Well ,, at least I know my tang sight is gon'a work just fine , and had a good time visiting w / some other's that reload . I feel like i'v found the right load for "my " 40/60 ,feels good ,,really does hit POA ,if I do my part ,, now it's time to load up about 50-100 rds. and start reaching out to 100 yds. then 200 yds. & then ,and then , 1st., better see if I can see 200 yds., " After " Christmas ,, "MERRY CHISTMAS" TO EVERY ONE !!!!

COFFEE'S READY,,, HOOTMIX.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2018, 05:13:44 AM »
The day after Christmas starts the yearly hunting trip with the Grandchildren . Because of their school schedules they can only come out to the family ranch on the holiday break , and boy are they ready . This is my favorite hunt of the yr. And believe it or not the yrs. of teaching them how ,  is starting to pay off . I am starting to be an observer more  than a teacher , I cant begin to tell you how gratifying it is to watch the Grandchildren carry on a tradition that has been passed down in the family for generations .To watch them enjoy nature and practice good sportsmanship is something I cherish . During our visit the Grandchildren all bring their leverguns and we do some shooting , they with their 1894's and me this hunt with my 1876 40-60 wcf . short rifle . After the hunt things start to get slow around the homeplace and this winter I hope to spend more time shooting the Extra Heavy Barrel 45-75 wcf.  This EHB  has proven to be a very accurate rifle and I look forward to shooting it enough to find my limits with it . Enough rambling from me , Merry Christmas my Friends and I hope the New Yr. brings happiness and health and wealth  to you all . Good shooting in 2019 ,,,,DT

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2018, 08:25:36 AM »
Merry Christmas, 76'ers, and a Happy New Year!
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2018, 08:41:38 AM »
Merry Christmas, 76'ers, and a Happy New Year!
    Likewise Amigo ,,,,DT

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2018, 04:35:47 PM »
Dusty,

Very nice tradition,especially during a family time of the year.  Neat to see people still have appreciation for passing on knowledge and the creation of long lasting memories.

Enjoy your holidays.  And Merry Christmas to all.

BRS
Black River Smith

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2018, 07:14:31 PM »
    Likewise Amigo ,,,,DT

And from downunder - all the best .

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2018, 07:20:28 PM »
And from downunder - all the best .
                                                                               Likewise Amigo  ,,,DT

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2018, 08:13:53 PM »
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!

Am working on a little hunting plans right after Christmas day.  hope everyone get a chance to burn a little powder during
the holidays!!

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2019, 11:00:38 AM »
Took the old 40/60 out for a  pasture walk at dark thirty yesterday . Fired a few round's near the old rock fence . Was reminded how the 40/60 has a sharp crack when loaded up with full Bp. charge ,and can testify that only one in needed for a pesky skunk . Felt good to do some shooting . ,,DT

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2019, 11:32:15 AM »
I went out on the 4th, shot up a box of 50 for fireforming. Charge was 24.0 of IMR 4198. I was impressed with the accuracy and the fact there were NO unfired grains of leftover powder. Water filled milk jugs became mist, rocks became dust, steel targets knocked down with authority. Had a couple light strike misfires tho. I tightened up the main spring screw the last 1/4 turn, all the way in. I'm liking the Marble front sight I have on it now, but the bead is a bit small, still better that the stock blade sight.
King Medallion

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2019, 05:09:16 PM »
We got flooded out in June for our monthly shoot. This month I?m recovering from knee replacement surgery so if I go in 3 weeks it will be to hang out with my pards.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com