Author Topic: My new Uberti 32-20  (Read 13344 times)

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
My new Uberti 32-20
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:44:19 PM »
Well, I added another Cimarron '73 to my stable.  About a year ago, an error was made on a spreadsheet and Cimarron ended up ordering 53 instead of 3 of this particular model: 20" deluxe pistol-grip 32wcf.  Now that's a lot of rifles in a caliber that doesn't get a huge number of orders.  So they discounted them heavily, as in, so much that I simply could not resist!  And I already reload 32-20 for my brother's old Colt and I like that cartridge. So I looked through a few of the first 25 to arrive and found one with really nice wood.  I wrote my name on a post-it and stuck it on the box.  I wasn't there for a few months and when the next shipment came in, Chip at Cimarron spotted one with even nicer wood, so he moved my name to that one (thanks, Chip!).  Well, after about a year they were all sold except that one and I was told that I needed to buy it or let it go.  So now it's mine!  It is my first pistol grip configuration.
It did have some issues.  It had a tendency to fail to extract every so often and leave the empty in the chamber.  The extractor is the same as the .357 extractor and was apparently not fitted well for .32 at Uberti.  The hook doesn't sit low enough to catch the smaller rim of the .32 vs. the .38  The 'smith at Cimarron said he has had to adjust this on several of the .32's.  He fixed mine up and that part is fine now.  It also had a very stiff spring on the lever safety, and a very heavy trigger.  The required deathgrip to make it shoot was not conducive to accuracy nor speed (not that I'm all that speedy).  A D Texaz gave me an extra coil safety spring from the Smith Shop that he had, so I installed that.  This required taking the rifle mostly apart, so I went ahead and did a little action job, thinning the springs.  Lever works great now, no squeezing needed, and it has a 4 lb. trigger.  The carrier on the .32wcf is also the same as the .357, so the loaded rounds kind of zigzag and under spring tension the last round loaded sits at an angle on the carrier and makes it very hard to lever as the rim catches under the frame somewhat at the rear of the carrier.  This can happen in some guns made a few years back when Uberti failed to add a required bevel to that area of the frame, but this frame does have the bevel.  Shortening the magazine spring helped somewhat.  Anyways, after loading the last round I just stick the nose of another round into the loading gate and push the rear of the round on the carrier to the left which straightens it up.  Put a Marbles bead on the front.  Haven't put it on paper but groups well on steel!  Only smokeless for the first couple hundred rounds.  Need to get a .312 sizing die for my lubrisizer.

I will have to take a new pic of my "Italian herd" with this rifle added, and add it to the "Show us your 1873" topic.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My new Uberti 32-20
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:50:18 PM »
Gee, that is a fine rifle,

It looks agood as mine in 44WCF.

Buffalochip

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:15:51 AM »
Beautiful!  ;D
King Medallion

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:52:27 PM »

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 02:59:25 AM »
44 WCF
Buffalochip

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 06:15:21 AM »
Seems to be a family resemblance  :)

Offline cal44walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »
Nice, I got exaclty the same model in the same caliber for CAS shooting. No blowback with Blackpowder and costs less in lead and propellant. The extractor does need to be carefully adjusted and I had to bevel the lip of the frame where the rear of the case sits as it rises in the elevator. Works absoloutly flawlessly now. No recoil and good accuracy at 50 yards for plinking.

cal44walker

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »
What nice wood!That is as nice as I have seen on a deluxe Cimarron rifle.  First dibs if you decide to let it go.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 09:08:51 PM »
Nice rifle, however before I bought a sizing die I would slug the bore first. I don't know how Uberti's specs run on 32-20 but original Win., as well as other makers, were all over the map and I have seen some as far out as 0.320"!!!  :o

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 02:53:22 PM »
Beautiful wood on that one, Abilene.  Congratulations on your new addition! :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 01:01:58 PM »
Nice rifle, however before I bought a sizing die I would slug the bore first. I don't know how Uberti's specs run on 32-20 but original Win., as well as other makers, were all over the map and I have seen some as far out as 0.320"!!!  :o

Howdy FCK, you are correct of course about slugging being the way to be positive of the size.  Until I do that I am just assuming the size, as Uberti's specs for 32-20 bore is .311 and my .312 commercial bullets shoot great in it. 

Offline cowboy_paul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »
I got a carbine in 32-20, its my new favorite rifle, light, smooth and no perceptible recoil, if it weren't for the report I would think it was a FTP

Offline Thumper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 10:53:12 AM »
cal44walker, I've got an original I had relined and I think you'll find that your's will shoot remarkably well at 100 yds also.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 11:18:27 PM »
I know, late to the party again!   I'm still thinking you got 2nd choice on the wood Abilene :)   Next time I take my butt cuff off I'll get some good photos of my wood.  But no matter they are real tack drivers.   Did similar fixes to mine and then finally gave in just recently and made it my main match rifle.   I love this gun  :o 
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com