Author Topic: Dan Wesson .357 715 4" Barrel  (Read 9212 times)

Offline AlecBeach

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dan Wesson .357 715 4" Barrel
« on: August 05, 2018, 12:47:24 PM »
I have a Co2 version of this gun and love it to death. Thinking about getting the real steel as my first gun. What would any of you suggest or recommend anything else?  :D :D :D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Dan Wesson .357 715 4" Barrel
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 02:37:33 PM »

Some Eons ago, when in Law Enforcement, I carried a 4 inch Dan Wesson as a Duty gun until my department decided to allow a 1911.  I found those Dan Wesson revolvers to be Extremely well made, Extremely Reliable, Extremely Accurate.  More recent Dan Wesson I can't comment on.  Haven't played with one for ..... a long time.  I would, however, have no reservations recommending a Dan Wesson.

Offline MaxtheNinja

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 04:19:45 PM »
As said above, Dan Wesson's are great guns. I don't think I can recommend anything else unless you're wanting to go more modern...

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:42:08 AM »

Offline paulschoon

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 05:16:02 PM »
I dont have to much experience with them But I have used one a few times, I loved it, it feels good and is fun to shoot. and as every one else has said any Dan Wesson iv used or have seen have been great guns

Offline APOModern

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »
I've gotten to shoot a real dan wesson a few times before. Really can't recommend a better old gun. New guns of course blow it out of the water performance wise, but to me there's something un matched in the fun of shooting an old gun.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 01:26:46 AM »
My Good netizens -

firstly, allow me to point out that the CO2 and Airsoft "Dan Wessons" are nothing like the real revolver.
It is actually a CO2 version of a medium frame S&W with a full barrel lug.
- The cylinder latch is in the rear like a S&W, rather than on the cylinder crane.
- The balance is all wrong,
- the trigger mechanism is like a S&W ,  not like the more modern and short-stroked Dan Wesson.
- the internal mechanisms are made of cheap pot metal, and thus unfortunately will never feel like a real pistol.

here is a CO2 version:

here is a real Dan Wesson model 714 .357

the differrences are enourmous.

Having said all that icky stuff, having owned and shot several, with too many barrels,   (including the monster DW 44 magnum)
I myself prefer the Dan Wesson Model 15 ( or 715) over any other double action .357 revolver.

With an assortment of barrels and grips it becomes THE do-anything pistol IMHO. With the very strong design,
it is built like a tank, and obscenely accurate.

If you can afford the price tag, they are making new ones again, and they are excellent, but only offer it with one barrel.
http://danwessonfirearms.com/product/715-revolver/

If you are looking at used ones, stick with the Monson Factory models ; also look for pistols
that include extra barrels since they are very hard to find.
Even Dan Wesson only offers a couple lengths, new.

Now if only Pietta or Uberti made an interchangable barrel Single Action....

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 08:44:37 AM »

Well .... I don't know.  When we compare the Dan Wesson with "others" and talk about "more modern" guns being superior ...... not really.  The only real comparo is with Smith and Wesson and foreign copies there of and perhaps Colt.  Now lets face it, the design of those guns date to the very early 20th century.  The Dan Wesson is actually of a design much more modern that either.  The only way your going to get more modern is to opt for a Chiappa Rhino.  I, personally, am very intrigued by the Rhino.  But don't have the disposable to consider going out and buying one to play with.

The only way your going to find something to out-perform the Dan Wesson is to up it to a .44 Mag or bigger??  Bigger is not necessarily better.  Nope. 

The Dan Wesson is available as the "Pistol Pac" with the "other" barrel lengths.  Lots of Dinero required.  Nah.  Except as a Curio, I no longer have need of a Double Action Revolver.  Besides, there doesn't appear to be anywhere to put the Caps???

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 11:32:51 AM »
When my best friend and huntin buddy graduated fron NC State with an engineering degree many years ago I gave him a Dan Wesson in .22 cal.  A very nice gun. My thinking was that with a shorter bbl he could easily carry it but could use the longer bbl to hunt squirrels with. I’ve never had one myself preferring .22 Colt Woodsmans but in my later years it seems that I only buy DA revolvers.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Your hearts Desire Answered
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 08:38:19 AM »
BUT   BUT   BUT   Perfesseur Marvelous .... Sir   ;D

They DO!!  They DO!!  And and and Uberti even DO it better!!!  Obviously you haven't been following the STORM Board Closely enough.  It's called ..... TA DA ..... an OPEN TOP!!

Yes Siree Bob!!  Step right up folks and see little Egypt do his famous dance of Jose Cuervo!!  The "UBERTI OPEN TOP" gives new meaning to Chameleon!!  Not only do you have the versatility of Barrel Length (4 3/4, 5 1/2, 7 1/2) you also have the versatility of choice of Cartridge and Caliber!!!  Yes world, you can change Caliber too.  And all in about 30 seconds.  Barrel/Cylinder combinations in .38 (Sorry, no .357), .44 to include Special, Colt and Russian), .45 are all available.  Match that for versatile anybody else!!!

Now for the CAVEAT:  Before you consider any of this Barrel, cylinder, caliber, cartridge swapping ... (dot dot dot) ... one MUST first correct the Barrel to Arbor fit.  (Several ways to do this)   Once the Barrel to Arbor fit is corrected, one may perform an action job on just one frame and have access to a plethora of choices.  Match that!!  WOWZERS.

See Perfesser!!  Simply ask and ye shall receive.  Burma Shave!!

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Your hearts Desire Answered
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 10:34:30 PM »
BUT   BUT   BUT   Perfesseur Marvelous .... Sir   ;D

They DO!!  They DO!!  And and and Uberti even DO it better!!!  Obviously you haven't been following the STORM Board Closely enough.  It's called ..... TA DA ..... an OPEN TOP!!

Yes Siree Bob!!  Step right up folks and see little Egypt do his famous dance of Jose Cuervo!!  The "UBERTI OPEN TOP" gives new meaning to Chameleon!!  Not only do you have the versatility of Barrel Length (4 3/4, 5 1/2, 7 1/2) you also have the versatility of choice of Cartridge and Caliber!!!  Yes world, you can change Caliber too.  And all in about 30 seconds.  Barrel/Cylinder combinations in .38 (Sorry, no .357), .44 to include Special, Colt and Russian), .45 are all available.  Match that for versatile anybody else!!!

Now for the CAVEAT:  Before you consider any of this Barrel, cylinder, caliber, cartridge swapping ... (dot dot dot) ... one MUST first correct the Barrel to Arbor fit.  (Several ways to do this)   Once the Barrel to Arbor fit is corrected, one may perform an action job on just one frame and have access to a plethora of choices.  Match that!!  WOWZERS.

See Perfesser!!  Simply ask and ye shall receive.  Burma Shave!!

Why thank you cocfin, I now reme.be red to put Burma shave on the shopping list!

Why Thank You My Dear Coffin -
Thanks to you, I remembered to put Burma Shave on the shopping list!

Damn You Autocorrect!
Yhs Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 12:34:34 AM »
It's hard to beat a Dan Wesson for quality, accuracy and versatility. The short-stroke DA trigger is fantastic and very easy to fire rapidly and accurately. I actually just picked up a Model 15-2 VH yesterday with a 6" barrel, and I'm hunting a shorter barrel to complement it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 08:58:51 AM »

Hey Tinker   :D

I'd suggest a visit from my wicked and evil twin .... Hacksaw Macgurk .... However the design requires a threaded bushing and the barrel be placed in tension with said bushing.  Hacksaw, while most generously willing to assist, is of limited ability to tote sufficient tools around to bring a shortened Barrel/Shroud combo to proper fruition.  I fear the 15-V would look some ..... odd ....missing it's shroud.  Plus it would probably shoot loose pretty rapidly (LocTite??) and no front sight. 

Alas, while explaining the foibles of the enterprise, Hacksaw said skip it.  He don't wanna chop and channel no two piece barrel.  So we, unfortunately, won't be of much assistance with your shorter barrel quest for you DW.  Apologies

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 10:16:38 AM »
Tell Hacksaw not to fret; I'm actually looking for a proper factory barrel assembly that includes the barrel, shroud, nut etc. CZ and EWK are currently out of stock, but I'm keeping my eyes open.

Offline derekhann

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 02:23:16 PM »
would anyone the CO2 version for a starter pistol?

Offline MaxtheNinja

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 02:56:25 PM »
Well .... I don't know.  When we compare the Dan Wesson with "others" and talk about "more modern" guns being superior ...... not really.  The only real comparo is with Smith and Wesson and foreign copies there of and perhaps Colt.  Now lets face it, the design of those guns date to the very early 20th century.  The Dan Wesson is actually of a design much more modern that either.  The only way your going to get more modern is to opt for a Chiappa Rhino.  I, personally, am very intrigued by the Rhino.  But don't have the disposable to consider going out and buying one to play with.

The only way your going to find something to out-perform the Dan Wesson is to up it to a .44 Mag or bigger??  Bigger is not necessarily better.  Nope. 

The Dan Wesson is available as the "Pistol Pac" with the "other" barrel lengths.  Lots of Dinero required.  Nah.  Except as a Curio, I no longer have need of a Double Action Revolver.  Besides, there doesn't appear to be anywhere to put the Caps???

When I said that more modern guns are superior I meant that they are more accurate, hold more rounds, and are sometimes sturdier. With that being said, revolvers are a ton of fun!

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 03:49:17 PM »
get the Glock 17, its an American made gun for an American made man 8) 8) 8)

OK Sam

very bad 2nd post.

why not go introduce yourself, if you are not a troll

very off topic.
glock is not american made
nothing to do with CAS.

looks like the weekend trolling has started

prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 03:57:25 PM »
would anyone the CO2 version for a starter pistol?

hello derrek.

very bad first post.
very off topic.
it's not even a complete sentence

why not go introduce yourself, over here http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,64.0.html  if you are not a troll

looks like the weekend trolling has started

prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2018, 04:04:21 PM »
When I said that more modern guns are superior I meant that they are more accurate, hold more rounds, and are sometimes sturdier. With that being said, revolvers are a ton of fun!

Well Max, to be blunt it appears you are not very familiar with firearms.

>>more modern guns are superior I meant that they are more accurate, hold more rounds, and are sometimes sturdier.

I can only assume you mean semi-autos.
semi-autos are often more .... delicate due to a variety of reasons; subject to jamming; and due to
the fact that the barrel has to move are often less accurate.

point of fact, due to its excellent accuracy, the Dan Wesson series was the pistol of choice for long-range
( 200+ meters) silohuette shooters.

prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 04:45:35 PM »
Tell Hacksaw not to fret; I'm actually looking for a proper factory barrel assembly that includes the barrel, shroud, nut etc. CZ and EWK are currently out of stock, but I'm keeping my eyes open.

My Dear Tinker
I am glad you found EWK's site. I think  he was the only source of aftermarket DW barrels.

Since he is basically a one-man machine shop, building up a stock "on spec" is not often profitable.
Thus, you might try contacting him to build a barrel and shroud to your specifications.

Alternatively, sometimes one can find "just the barrel " or "just the shroud", and go from there.
I managed to snag a 2 1/2" "barrel only" and I am fussing with making a shroud of aluminum bar stock.
so far I am making crap scrap as I go thru the learning curve.
It's going a little faster since I got a HF benchtop mill.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 10:26:24 AM »

Remember the signs.  There are two.  One at each end of the Stone Bridge "DON'T FEED THE TROLLS"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com