Author Topic: I screwed up !  (Read 2247 times)

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
I screwed up !
« on: August 05, 2018, 07:49:56 AM »
I thought I would fit a pair of Colt SAA eagle grips to my Uberti El Patron..I thought I knew what I was doing..They passed the thumb nail test(Drag thumb nail across frame to grip panel ,,then drag thumb nail from grip panel to frame without catching)..I cheated and did final sanding with the grips on the gun..So I reblued the grip frame..Then to my horror I seen a real genu-WINE Colt 3rd. gen SAA with the Eagle grips..My gun don't look nothing like the Colt..I should have left the grip panels hang over the frame in some places ,,and I don't know how they did it ,but the grip frame on the Colt had the frame extending past the grip panels in places!!!...Then when viewing the Colt from the bottom.I  noticed the trigger guard hung past the frame on one side and was short of matching the frame on the other  side!!!!... :o..Did Colt just give up on their SAA and just throw what parts and pieces together to use up what the had laying around before stopping production of the SAA?...I got on auction sites and was looking at 3 gen Colts,, :'(,,SMH TERRIBLE QC ..

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
Re: I screwed up !
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 12:54:52 PM »
Some (many actually) of the Colt 3rd gen were lacking in quality.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 02:48:50 PM »
Muck as it pains me (It REALLY doesn't) to say it, your Uberti is probably a better built gun that many (a lot really) of the Third Generation Colt built guns.  Colt hasn't been interested in producing a quality SA for a long, long time.  A REALLY long time.  Paying the kind of money a Colt sells for (Third Generation) if you intend to shoot it would be foolish.  You'd soon find you get a much better shooting gun from Uberti or Pietta for a LOT less money.

You DID NOT screw up.  Oh, and by the way, no two sets of SA grips are the same.  The Grip is fitted while the frame is "in the white" so the fit is precise.  I'm pretty sure, Colt quit doing that a while back.  

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:21:56 PM »

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 02:56:20 PM »
My two 3rd gen (1978) 44 Spcls both have perfect fit of the Eagle grips.  Granted I have not handled a boatload of 3rd gen guns, but most seemed decently fit (grips) that I've seen.  The Colt Cowboy, now that was another story.  Saw one of them that you could see daylight through the gripframe and the grip towards the top.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com