Author Topic: The Many Brands of BP  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
The Many Brands of BP
« on: July 24, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »
Twenty-five + years ago I only shot black powder cartridges in original guns. All that was available then was GOEX so that's what I loaded in 45 Colt, 44 WCF, 44 Russian, 45-70, and 12g.

In my late retirement years I want to re-live some of the fun of shooting black powder but there are a great many more choices these days. GOEX is still out there but there's also Old Eynsford, Swiss, and a couple others I can't think of right now.

Can someone explain the differences in these various brands and what's recommended for what. Particularly which brand is favored for black powder cartridges, like the 45 Colt.

Dave

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
Re: The Many Brands of BP
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 01:50:22 PM »
Olde Eynsford is made by Goex. It is my personal favorite but I also really like Schutzen and Swiss. KIK was the best bang for the buck but I haven't been able to get it last couple times I've ordered.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 03:23:28 PM »
As Cliff has said and you have found there are differences in some BP's.
Quality of the parts that make the powder can make a difference in performance as well as cost. Eynsford, Schutzen, and Swiss are generally thought of as being the "Hi Octane" products.
In the last twenty or so years folks that carried BP have stopped because of insurance requirements for storage.
Look for what is available in your area, and go with that, especially if you are just looking at general plinking.
My best,
 Blair   
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:04:17 PM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 04:30:36 PM »
In the last twenty or so years folks that carried BP have stopped because of insurance requirements for storage.
Look for what is available in your area, and go with that, especially if you are just looking at general plinking.
My best,
 Blair   

I have looked and found nothing. That led me to try Black MZ as an alternative because I could get it at Sportsman's Warehouse (5 minutes away) for $9.99/pound. But several trips to the range with my old Model 33 chronograph indicates, at least in the 45 Colt Black MZ is so inconsistent I just don't like shooting it. So I'm exploring a way to get BP but all the brands threw me for a temporary loop.

Since I am old and cranky and try to buy stuff made in the USA, sounds like Old Enysford may be my best bet if I buy over the net.

Thanks to everyone for a little updated education in black powder.

Dave

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 09:56:01 PM »
I have been shooting some Black MZ and it seems to give consistent results. I am advised that is does not like to be compressed and if it is not a case full use a filler (Malt-O-Meal) to fill the case just to the bullet base.
The loads have not been chronographed, but they seem ok. In an 1851 Navy my load is a 15 grain (weighed) and enough filler to fill to the bottom of the ball. It seems that compressing it causes varying pressure problems. For CAS ranges it works swell and $9.99 a pound is hard to beat.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com