Author Topic: Holster screwed up. Have to adapt the pattern again.  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Douglas Sheridan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Holster screwed up. Have to adapt the pattern again.
« on: July 13, 2018, 12:42:14 AM »
Made up a couple patterns that were too loose to start, took away what looked to be the right amount and it was too much of a good thing. Just a little to small ahead of the cylinder. I think I can save it by increasing the thickness of the welting that area, and then adjust the pattern for future use.  At least I expected this one would need some adjustments and made sure it didn’t take the best leather from the side for it.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Holster screwed up. Have to adapt the pattern again.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 02:04:35 AM »
I have a small box full of oopses. You never know when you might get a smaller gun that it will fit.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 06:28:43 AM »
I've always made my own patterns and this has happened to me a few times. If it's a complicated Holster, sometimes I'll make a sample (prototype) pouch out of scrap or unusable leather. It is a good idea to hang onto the oopses.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:18:43 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 09:51:37 AM »
Made up a couple patterns that were too loose to start, took away what looked to be the right amount and it was too much of a good thing. Just a little to small ahead of the cylinder. I think I can save it by increasing the thickness of the welting that area, and then adjust the pattern for future use.  At least I expected this one would need some adjustments and made sure it didn’t take the best leather from the side for it.

Welcome to the club! Happily, my too small holster a was perfect fit for my Singe-Six
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 10:24:14 AM »
I also often make a test holster from unusable leather, like the belly stuff, if there's any question. In those cases, I usually assemble with speedy rivets rather than go to all the trouble of stitching something that isn't going to be anything other than a pattern test. I did that for my 1911 Frazier pattern when I first made it. I still use that test holster today to carry my pruning shears when working in the yard. ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Douglas Sheridan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 10:48:46 AM »
I used mostly the belly and a scuffed area to start knowing it would likely need some adjustments. I’ll still go ahead and do a border and the stitching as it’s been a while. I’m using a single welt in the top portion of the seam, and then tapering in 2 additional welts, one on each side of the primary welt for the area that I cut too narrow. By the time I do the wet forming it may be usable while I make a nicer set. I’ll probably add about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to the pattern in that area for the next one.

Offline Douglas Sheridan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 12:44:58 PM »
Looks like it's going to work alright.  Considering this is the first significant leather project I've done in the last 15 years.  The cross draw is the first one I did and added 2 additional welts in the area forward of the cylinder.  This ended up not being as tight as I thought it was going to be but not a problem.  I did the other 2 with just a single welt, and by the time they are wet formed will be just fine.  Learned a few things 'll keep in mind for the next set I make.  These ones I've actually done in the hotel while waiting on some rescheduled training for work.  Ran out of dye so the rest will wait until I get by another shop, or get back home.  Broke the first awl after just a few holes, pretty sure it had a problem to begin with.

These are all 9-10 oz.  The next set I'll make a few minor adjustments to my patterns and line the next set with somewhere between 2 and 4 oz.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 04:34:02 PM »
That  came out looking really good

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 07:22:39 PM »
That pattern does look like it fits right. Makes a fine holster. Good job.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 07:26:36 PM »
Very nice! I love that look. Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 10:03:15 AM »
That turned out real nice!

Somehow I've been lucky with holsters. Other stuff, not so much. I draw up a lot of my own patterns and they usually fit how I want them to. However, of those three Slim Jims I'm working on now, there was a 4th. I totally hosed the stamping on a 5½" and ended up just stitching it together (easy with the machine) without the belt loop to make sure the pouch was gonna fit right. I was thinking I 'could' use it with some sort of overlay.
SASS #81,827

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com