Author Topic: Civil war/Indian wars holster question  (Read 2109 times)

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Civil war/Indian wars holster question
« on: July 10, 2018, 09:51:41 AM »
Howdy,

Will a Colt cavalry clone fit in a typical CW holster?  I am picking up a nice Uberti Cavalry model and I would like to use just a run of the mill CW holster for it for now.  I will be ordering a good 1881 model holster for it also. 

Thanks!
GAF#379

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Civil war/Indian wars holster question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:00:31 AM »
Yes.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:08:18 AM »
Drydock...thanks!  I figured as much but I was not sure with the top strap if it would work.  I need one for going on a Fair Weather Christian belt from Carrico leather. 
GAF#379

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:00:32 AM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:51:42 AM »
Drydock...thanks!  I figured as much but I was not sure with the top strap if it would work.  I need one for going on a Fair Weather Christian belt from Carrico leather. 

The Pattern of 1863 CW holsters and some of the slightly earlier versions had even contour seams (as opposed to some of the earlier ones which were close-contoured) would handle both the M1860 Colt's and the New Army (M1858) Remingtons.  As a result they would, fortuitously, fit the "strap pistol" aka Colt' Single Action Army! The earlier Pattern 1863's have the closure strap held to the full flap with a rivet and a straight transverse stitch. The Pattern 1863 has the rivet and stitching in the form of an inverted U.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 10:15:41 AM »
From my understanding, the first issue holsters for the 73 Colt were  surplus Silly War holsters.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 10:25:35 AM »
From my understanding, the first issue holsters for the 73 Colt were  surplus Silly War holsters.
Correctamundo! :) In addition, some of the post-CW holsters were modified Pattern 1863's. In some instances, the Hoffman swivel was added (which proved to be a bad design, resulting in loss of the guns and in some cases the guns and holster bodies together!).  In others, the full flap was reduced in size and shape as the protection required for cap-and-ball pistols wasn't needed for the cartridge guns. When the supply of CW holsters ran out, new production holsters were issued to the troops.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline David Carrico

• Top Active Citizen
    • Carrico's Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
It will go into mine!

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 01:08:26 PM »
It will go into mine!

No doubt!  I have 2 of your holsters already.  I just need a cheapie while I save up for some more stuff from you.

BTW the Fair Weather Christian belt you made me is awesome!  Very popular at the range.
GAF#379

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com