Author Topic: Time for a new holster, thoughts please?  (Read 5960 times)

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Time for a new holster, thoughts please?
« on: July 01, 2018, 06:48:46 PM »
I traded off the Uberti 357, and got a Ruger SBH 44. So, time to make a new holster for the new gun. Where I'm getting stuck, is how to carry it?The Uberti only had a 4 3/4" BBL, so it worked great in a shoulder rig, or in the cross draw I made a few weeks ago.  Normally, I would make a drop loop holster for the 3:00 hip, but that is a little too open for town... not that I really worry about concealment. I like it when people see my rig, and love it when they ask where I got it.

The Ruger has a 7 1/2" BBL, so I'm thinking it might be too long for a shoulder rig. Cross draw is comfortable, but I also had issues closing the car door, and hitting everything I walked by. That longer barrel would really be dangerous.

Any thoughts?

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Time for a new holster, thoughts please?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 08:02:47 PM »
I guess a skeleton rig might work for that one. Other than that, I can't think of a good concealable holster for it unless you have the barrel changed for a shorter one.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 08:18:38 PM »
Concealable isn't really an issue, as much as discreet. I don't want to look like I rode in for a gunfight at the So-So Coral. When in town, I would usually not bother with a shirt or coat with the shoulder rig. Most of the cops here already know me, one or two have my holsters. Out of town... yeah. Definitely wear a cover shirt.

Which brings me back to a shoulder rig. Is it doable with that long a gun? Or just do it high on a belt?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:23:16 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 04:42:11 AM »
How's this

or

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1462865/tampa-holsters-for-sale--large-revolver-shoulder-holster-

I made mine bandoleer style ( I don't like the feel of a constraining strap around my chest or a butterfly sling style )
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 07:35:20 AM »
Hey Major,  thanks for weighing in.  How well does the shoulder holster work with that long barrel?

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 10:13:17 AM »
It's OK for trail and woods.... I don't use it for town

I have 3.5 " Storekeeper for that,  in a similar bandoleer style short holster on occasion

but mostly a 2" in pocket holster

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 11:26:02 AM »
My pocket gun is a 1928 Lilliput. 25. Not a real reliable thing,  which is why it stays in a drawer.  Unfortunately, I'm stuck with one do all pistol,  unless you count the wife's .40.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 01:17:38 AM »
How's this
I made mine bandoleer style ( I don't like the feel of a constraining strap around my chest or a butterfly sling style )

insert Major2's Uncle Mike's rig.....

These Uncle Mike nylon holsters are very affordable and durable. I got several used, cheap, off fleabay.  I take mine apart first thing, swap the plastic left hand oops right hand aka "off-side" "plate" for leather or nylon carriers - mag pouch, speed loaders or cartridge dump box. I then  adjust the shoulder straps to my own comfort , and dump the buckles, sewing them down, and adding the left hand belt strap to the pouch. Sometimes I replace the coarse heavy webbing with smooth silky seat-belt webbing. Once adjusted to correct fit, I find I can move quite freely, as the webbing slips over the shoulders and through the back plate whilst moving, and the load is balanced across the shoulders and back .

I carry an 8 inch Remington 1858 in one of these on a regular basis. It is very comfortable, very discrete, (almost concealable),
and when adjusted correctly I can sit in a car  ( I am right-handed) and still access the revolver easily. They also work great with Smith N frames and 1911's. As Well as 4 3/4 to 7" Model P SAA.

I find they are rather bulky for Colt 1851's, 1860's or the small frame smith and colt revovlers.

I am currently rebuilding and slimming down an ancient 4 3/4" "Herter's .44   Cartridge" SA I got real cheap. It's a SA 44 mag made by Sauer and Sohn - heavily overbuilt and hell for stout! I  plan to use a 5" Uncle Mikes rig for this .

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 04:11:11 AM »
"My pocket gun is a 1928 Lilliput. 25. Not a real reliable thing,  which is why it stays in a drawer."

Well sir I'd say that does not count .... it's a drawer gun then and curio at best, being it's  "Not a real reliable"
not to mention it's not with you if needed it home in the drawer

I personally prefer, a revolver and S&W in particular my 2 choices below, , but if your budget allows and/or you simply want or like small thin Semi auto's then SCCY cpx-2 9mm @ $224.99  or Ruger LC9 $329.

I did not mean to highjack your Holster thread....

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 09:56:49 AM »
"My pocket gun is a 1928 Lilliput. 25. Not a real reliable thing,  which is why it stays in a drawer."

Well sir I'd say that does not count .... it's a drawer gun then and curio at best, being it's  "Not a real reliable"
not to mention it's not with you if needed it home in the drawer

I personally prefer, a revolver and S&W in particular my 2 choices below, , but if your budget allows and/or you simply want or like small thin Semi auto's then SCCY cpx-2 9mm @ $224.99  or Ruger LC9 $329.

I did not mean to highjack your Holster thread....
No worries,  Major,  I have been accused of hijacking on occasion.  You are dead on about the Lilliput. As far as budget for another pistol,  it is zero. As much as I would love to grab another pistol to carry,  I can't justify it.  So,  it is either carry the SBH,  or the Lilliput... or the wife's  S&W 40. I have no problem with wearing the 44, except for the length. It seems too long for a shoulder draw, unless I drop it a couple more inches.  I really think that is the way I'll end up going.

@Prof.  Marvel, the bandalero/ chest harness would work,  snd I have made one for scoped SBH before. I just didn't care for it. But thank you sir,  for your input.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 10:02:03 AM »
Hey Major,  thanks for weighing in.  How well does the shoulder holster work with that long barrel?

For something as relatively heavy as a Ruger Super Blackhawk, I recommend against shoulder holsters. The spine and shoulders are a flexible-T.  No matter how you secure it, a shoulder rig will cause you to unconsciously tense muscles to compensate for the asymmetrical load, resulting in fatigue.  For outdoor use...riding a horse or just walking, I recommend a crossdraw holster on a belt at least 2-inches wide.  However, I can see how this may not work in a vehicle.  It might be better to go to a lighter, shorter-barrel gun. The alternative might be to simply take the gun from the holster and place it in a handy spot in the vehicle.  Another alternative to consider would be a canted crossdraw holster on your right side, requiring a twist- or cavalry-draw holster.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 10:13:43 AM »

My good Captain,

If I may.  Might I suggest the application of a nice new Hacksaw??  Very effective at making things "fit" as it twer.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 01:20:47 PM »
My good Captain,

If I may.  Might I suggest the application of a nice new Hacksaw??  Very effective at making things "fit" as it twer.
;D
@ Trailblazer,  that is a very interesting point about shoulder rigs,  one I never considered. I wore that 357 for a long time,  and it wasn't that heavy there.  but,  I do experience severe stabbing pain in my right scapula.  I had always attributed that to a disgruntled ex with a voodoo doll.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 01:24:07 PM »
Chest rigs like this 7X work great for big sixguns. They are very comfortable. I just finished a bandoleer rig for a scoped BFR that went to Africa in May. No pics but it worked out well.

That said, I carry most my 7½" guns in a belt holster, strongside, crossdraw, either works.
SASS #81,827

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 09:44:37 PM »
@ CraigC- How much cant do you have on that crossdraw? The last crossdraw I made had an extreme cant, close to 85 degrees. It was also for a much shorter pistol.

As far as chest rigs, I never seriously thought much about them. I did make one though, for a fella with a scoped SBH with an 8 or 10 inch BBL.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 10:24:22 PM »
When I shoot my 7.5 inch Colt New Service in a match I use a crossdraw for it. I have long arms and a long bbl is too hard to draw from the strong side. I’ve never tried to carry it in a car though. I have carried short bbled revolvers in a concealed shoulder rig or in a concealed crossdraw holster. I like crossdraws. Maybe some kind of vertical clamshell shoulder holster would work for your hogleg or as a last resort—-a hacksaw.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 01:18:02 AM »
I'm  sure I'll get used to the longer barrel,  no need to snip the tip. I am curious as to how much cant you have on your cross draw rigs.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 10:32:40 AM »
Ok, time to see where I'm going with the new holster. For normal carry, in town and the woods, I cobbled together a quick shoulder rig. When I say quick, there is no tooling, dyeing, or even a finish. Just nekkid leather. It wears just fine, but, still a bit of a chore to pull.

For those special occasions, I want something a little nicer. I wanted to try doing roses, but didn't want it to turn out "girly", so I went a little dark. By all means, please dissect this, and tell me what I could have done different, what I should change, if I should start over, or just scrap it all together. I want to do a full on Buscadero belt with it, but, if this isn't working, no reason to make the belt.

I had started out with a color scheme of dark brown, and black out most of the center, and sort of changed up when it came time to dye. I tried to give it a sepia type effect, just not sure it is working. The rose came out nice, the leaves will take more practice. I'm not sure if I need to make the leaves bigger, or get finer tools, but most of the pointy sawtooth edges didn't come out right. Once again, I lost a lot of detail and depth when I dyed it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com