Author Topic: Another Ignorant Scribe  (Read 10219 times)

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Another Ignorant Scribe
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 03:06:45 PM »
Thank you, Coffinmaker. You are absolutely right, but I fear that few will heed the wisdom of your explanation.

Reverend Chase

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 04:09:33 PM »
How about .38 Long Colt ???   :D

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 06:05:45 PM »
How about .38 Long Colt ???   :D

Ah My Dear Abilene you are a card!

yhs
prof mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:58:17 AM »

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 09:14:10 PM »
Could it be, that it is like the difference between
Pig
And
Long Pig?

Yhs
Prof politically incorrect and sometimes grotesque Marvel

Pig: Four legged omnivore known to eat everything in its way, including dead mammals, including their own offspring.  Long Pig:  Term used by cannibals to describe humans used for their food. a.k.a. Long Pork.  (Humans, the other White Meat)
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 09:00:39 AM »
Coffinmaker, this is the west.  When the legend becomes reality, you print the legend.
.45 Long Colt, it is!
Scouts Out!

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 04:49:34 PM »
Well, if you want to get picky on 'Pistol' vs. 'Revolver'..... Back when the distinction got started, a Pistol was an 1842 Aston/Johnson muzzleloading handgun, or an M-1836 flinter, or another of that sort. A Revolver was a Colt M-1851.   

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 05:27:05 PM »
In point of fact there WERE cartridges advertised as ".45 Long Colt", in the late 19th or early 20th Centuries.  While I can't locate the photos of the boxes, I have seen them.  IIRC, this came about when the double-action swingout cylinders came about.  The original rims on the .45 Colt's were too narrow to catch the star ejector, and the ammo companies enlarged them, and began advertising them as ".45 Long Colt".  There "never was" a cartridge called ".45 Schofield" either. The correct term was ".45 Revolver Ball".  It was intended to fit either the Colt's Single Action Army revolver or the Schofield. The terms ".45 Long Colt" and ".45 Schofield" are modern-day appelations intended to avoid confusion. The term "pistol" is now generally used to describe a semi-automatic handgun. In the Old Days, the term for a gun with a revolving cylinder was "revolving pistol".  Likewise, when it comes to terminology to describe different variations of a basic gun, we use modern terms like, "Second generation Colt".  But, I doubt that Colt's uses that term. Likewise, I doubt Winchester has officially differentiated between a "Pre-64 Model 70 and "Post-64" rifles.  Just modern conveniences.

Now, you may flame when you are ready, folks!  ;)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 06:08:32 PM »
Trail Rider is correct about those of button head .45 Colt cases. They are almost rimless. I found a box full of those old cases, and the only way I could load them is to either set up my old Pacafic "C" press that I use  years ago ot my Ideal Tong tool because they will not work in a modern "more rimmed" shell holder. I lookd at a lot of them and they are not marked "Long Colt". I found a box of brand new unfired cases and they were marked ".45 Colt" on the original Winchester factory box.
That "long Colt" thing just drives crazy(er) and any so called gun writer should know better.
At leeast IMHO
Bunk

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2019, 06:39:55 PM »
At least the caliber markings on the guns all say 45 Colt, at least that I have noticed.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2019, 11:18:11 AM »

Unfortunately ...... There is often a WIDE disconnect between the advertising staff and the engineering staff.  There is also an awful lot of PARROT(ing) that goes on.  Sort of a "If so and so says it .. it must be true" sort of thing.  Some nationally known Scribe says something totally out of the blue and BANG is repeated around the world as gospel.  Even if their comment contains not one second of research.

An Ex is a has-been and a Spert is merely a drip under pressure.

After all, Elmer Kieth blew up several guns before giving birth to the 44 Manglem.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 01:25:51 PM »
Coffinmaker, I really enjoyed your explanation, thanks. Several of our arms and ammunition makers should share some blame as well for horrible naming conventions. Like the .44s, not since the .44 Russian have we had true .44s, they are .43s. And my beloved .38WCF, should be the .40WCF [and wouldn't that .40-40 name have sounded nice]. And lest we forget the brain bleeds caused by clip vs. magazine. Or how the first Walkers were referred to as horse pistols?

I think I need to switch to Decaf...
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com