Author Topic: Project Carlos Gove replica .  (Read 13914 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Project Carlos Gove replica .
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 07:42:05 PM »
DT - sent you an email.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 04:06:12 PM »
Dusty
i have a heavy barrel roller no. 1 sporter i built 12 yrs ago or so. a couple winters back i thought  having a single set trigger would be a cool thing to have. so i embarked on the journey of adding the option. i can tell you that the tolerances/geometry required to make the thing work are tight. many days i would just walk away from the bench. i did persevere and finally after countless hours got the trigger to function correctly. lots of micro tweaking of the involved parts.
best kw
       Kwilliams1876 , I am leaning toward the SST , do you mind me asking where you purchased your trigger parts ?,,,DT

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 07:31:06 PM »
Dusty
not sure where i got my trigger parts as i had them for several years. possibly from Bud Smith at the old Tools International Co. in Gilmore Tx. i see the Rifle Shoppe still lists them. do you have the machinists drawing for the rolling block? the drawings from Bud showed the single/double set arrangements with dimensions.
best kw

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:18:43 PM »

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 08:21:48 PM »
Dusty
not sure where i got my trigger parts as i had them for several years. possibly from Bud Smith at the old Tools International Co. in Gilmore Tx. i see the Rifle Shoppe still lists them. do you have the machinists drawing for the rolling block? the drawings from Bud showed the single/double set arrangements with dimensions.
best kw
                       That I do not have , the drawings with dimensions would be great . Ndnchf  was kind enough to send me what he had on the SST  a blow - up of parts and a two page explanation  of how the system works . I did see that the Rifle Shop has the casting s listed . That may be the way to go . ,,,DT

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 10:58:53 AM »
Dusty
try to get your hands on the complete set of machinists drawings as there is a wealth of useful info on the many pages. you will need to slot your hammer for the fly and ad the 2 stop pins to arrest the fly travel in the right spot. the assra forum or even ebay should have the drawings, mine are full scale which is nice.
best
kw

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 11:10:53 AM »
Dusty
try to get your hands on the complete set of machinists drawings as there is a wealth of useful info on the many pages. you will need to slot your hammer for the fly and ad the 2 stop pins to arrest the fly travel in the right spot. the assra forum or even ebay should have the drawings, mine are full scale which is nice.
best
kw
                          Thank You Sir , found a set and have the drawings on order . ,,,,DT

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 11:13:28 AM »
DT,

Back in the late 1980s or early 1990s I purchased an Italian made "Gemmer Hawken" Sharps '74 in 45-70. In those days the Italians couldn't temper a spring to save Italy and I had endless problems with the function of the hammer and trigger. I eventually sold it when I acquired a genuine No 1 Sporting rifle (not a Gemmer Hawken or a Carlos Grove style).

I really like your idea. The book "Remington Rolling Block Rifles, Carbines & Shotguns: SPORTING & TARGET RIFLES" by Roy Marcot, has a No1 Sporting Rifle on the cover done in exactly the style you are building. Sadly there is no mention of this particular rifle in the text. I admire it every time I look at the cover of that book. (smile)

Dave

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 12:45:28 PM »
DT,

Back in the late 1980s or early 1990s I purchased an Italian made "Gemmer Hawken" Sharps '74 in 45-70. In those days the Italians couldn't temper a spring to save Italy and I had endless problems with the function of the hammer and trigger. I eventually sold it when I acquired a genuine No 1 Sporting rifle (not a Gemmer Hawken or a Carlos Grove style).

I really like your idea. The book "Remington Rolling Block Rifles, Carbines & Shotguns: SPORTING & TARGET RIFLES" by Roy Marcot, has a No1 Sporting Rifle on the cover done in exactly the style you are building. Sadly there is no mention of this particular rifle in the text. I admire it every time I look at the cover of that book. (smile)                                      A No. 1 Sporting Rifle ,  I envy you . I have seen the Italian spring temper problem myself  .  If my project comes out half as nice looking as the rifle you mention I will be happy .,,,,DT

Dave

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 12:01:33 PM »
  While waiting on my Rolling Block drawings that  are supposed to have drawings of the Gove conversion  also .  I have a question for anyone that may know already . I can find pictures of the Carlos Gove conversion / side lever that shows the side lever in use pressing against the breech block finger lever ,  in order to increase the closing pressure . I have not been able to find a Gove side lever conversion that worked like the Hepburn , as in the lever pinned or keyed to the breech bolt pin . I have seen pics of this style conversion on contemporary conversions but not that of the period . Any input or advice would be appreciated .,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 03:51:14 PM »
Dusty
best
kw
                                 Drawings arrived today . Thanks for the E-Bay tip Kwilliams1876 the drawings will be a big help .,,,,DT

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 06:13:31 PM »
boy howdy......the fun begins now! this will try your patience, but a worthy project.
best
kw

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 06:42:20 PM »
I think after looking at the drawings the project is far beyond my skill level , and throwing the idea in the can , would be the wise thing to do . ,,,,DT

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 07:18:35 AM »
Dusty
if you are still thinking of a conversion, their is some discussion of this on the assra site.
https://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1528314475
best
kw

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2018, 04:14:30 PM »
Thank You Kwilliams1876 , a lot of sharp cookies on the assra forum , lurk there a lot . As of now the single set trigger idea is out . ,,,DT

Offline Sarge

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2018, 04:53:07 PM »
DT,

Having hunted with DST, SST, and crisp single trigger's, if I was building it for hunting I would go with a crisp single trigger, nothing wrong with the others, just not necessary and simpler.

Sarge

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2018, 05:42:15 PM »
DT,

Having hunted with DST, SST, and crisp single trigger's, if I was building it for hunting I would go with a crisp single trigger, nothing wrong with the others, just not necessary and simpler.

Sarge
        Think a crisp single trigger will be my choice , this rifle is going to be built as a Carlos Gove or plains style hunting rifle with a wiping rod ,buckhorn sight silver blade front . ,,,,DT

Offline Sarge

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2018, 10:36:23 PM »
DT- Have you ever tried a copper penny front sight?

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 07:01:47 AM »
DT- Have you ever tried a copper penny front sight?
                 Have a copper front on my Jaeger rifle , works great .,,,DT

Offline Yellowhouse Sam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2019, 01:34:08 PM »
Crossno's Gun Service in Arcadia, OK did an "improved" mod for the SST on two of my rollers and I couldn't be more pleased.  No more gravely travel.  My 50-70 is set at 1 lb and the 44-70 (not a misprint) is 8 oz.
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com