Author Topic: "A little powder, a lot of lead! Shoot 'em once, shoot 'em dead!"  (Read 4152 times)

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
So Baltimore Ed sent me a care package this week...

This is a British Lion .450 revolver, along with a couple of hundred bullets and around fifty cases. He also sent three balloon-head cases for reference. Thank you, Ed- I very much appreciate it!

The gun has Birmingham proofs on the barrel, frame and each chamber. So far my research has turned up nothing about who made these and when, but it has been said that these guns nearly equal the quality of a Webley. These are thought to be British-made guns. I have to say that this is a robust, high-quality gun. The single and double action trigger pulls are very good, and unusually for a gun of this type the sights are rather good.

The bullets Ed included were 198gr. Hollow-base RNL. He said he drilled them, and he did so with great precision. I spent part of last evening loading ammo for a range trip. Earlier in the week I tried Trail Boss's suggested method of developing a load I came up with... 2.0gr. of trail boss. OK, I was skeptical, but that's really all that would fit!   I  tried them in a .45 revolver and they seemed to work, so alrighty then... I made up a box, using a combination of .45 Colt and .45 ACP dies. 

This afternoon I finished up the day's work and headed to the range.  Let me tell ya, this old gal is a shooter! Shot this target at seven yards, double-action-

And fired this one 'briskly' at ten yards-

The gun functioned perfectly, and was a pleasure to shoot.  The loads were a bit less perfect- three of them squibbed. From the sound of it they did not ignite properly. In two of three instances the bullet went downrange. In the third it stopped in the barrel, but was easily pushed out with a cleaning rod.  I suspect I need to cobble up a proper roll-crimp set-up for this cartridge; it did wonders for my .38 S&W loads, and I suspect it will sort these nicely.

I totally love this little gun!  Thanks again to Baltimore Ed for making a dream of mine come true!

More detail can be found on my blog, Tinker Talks Guns.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: "A little powder, a lot of lead! Shoot 'em once, shoot 'em dead!"
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 07:06:59 PM »
Very nice write up, Tinker. Glad the Lion found a good home. Enjoy.

I just visited your blog 'Tinker Talks Guns', very cool. You sir are a knowledgeable fellow. Are you a retired educator? Nicely done. Liked the photos too. I'd always thought that my Lion was a Belgium copy. They were as unscrupulous about copyrights then as the Chinese are now.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 08:23:03 PM »
That is SO cool!  Thanks!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »
Very nice write up, Tinker. Glad the Lion found a good home. Enjoy.

I just visited your blog 'Tinker Talks Guns', very cool. You sir are a knowledgeable fellow. Are you a retired educator? Nicely done. Liked the photos too. I'd always thought that my Lion was a Belgium copy. They were as unscrupulous about copyrights then as the Chinese are now.

It might be a Belgian gun, but it was meant for sale in Britain (British Bulldog was trademarked there.) The proofs are for Birmingham, but that just might mean the gun was imported. I am not actually a retired educator, but I am an author and a large part of my career was spent educating people.

I actually consulted an expert on bulldogs, and he agreed that the British Lions were quality firearms- but no one knows where they came from!

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 05:54:21 PM »
I'm glad that our postings paths crossed and my Lion has another chance to roar.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 12:43:44 AM »
Ive been wanting one of these or a bulldog since watching the new magnificent seven, the card trick scene was awesome!

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 02:46:36 PM »
I'm glad that our postings paths crossed and my Lion has another chance to roar.

Not just roar either- It's a fine shooter! This was fired double action with a six o'clock hold at five yards.  I have settled on a load for this gun- a 200gr RNFPL over 4.0gr. of Unique with a CCI300 primer.

OOOPS! This is the wrong picture... I'll see if I can find the correct one...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com