Author Topic: ASM Quality??  (Read 3820 times)

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
ASM Quality??
« on: April 29, 2018, 12:43:08 PM »
Is there a quality difference between the ASM 1860’s and the Uberti or Pietta’s?

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: ASM Quality??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 03:37:32 PM »
Should have posted this down in STORM!—Whoops!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 06:05:15 PM »
Well, either way, there's quality difference just in ASM, much less between Uberti and Pietta! Look before you leap!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:48:02 AM »

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 11:38:06 PM »
Is there a quality difference between the ASM 1860’s and the Uberti or Pietta’s?

I have had two ASM six shooters - both been about as good as it gets for an out of the box item - so I get a bit defensive when others call em junk ......seems like every manufacturer takes a turn at making rubbish - I guess pay attention before you write the cheque. ........... whats new price tho ???? $300 ? that dont leave a lot of meat for a quality argument on a second hand one.   

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 12:58:10 PM »
TreeGuy,

But since you did post'd it here ... (dot dot dot).  It depends.  Way Back inna Wabac (Sherman and the Professor), Armi San Marco made THE reproduction Colt.  Their reproduction 1873 SAA was absolutely the beez kneez spot on for a Copy Colt.  ASM also manufactured some really close copies of the 1851 and the 1860.  ASM introduced the Prime Never Never of an 1851 Navy in .44 and THE other prime Never Never .. The 1861 Richards Type 1, marketed as an 1860 (no rebated cylinder) and a couple of others.

Oh, Yeah, your original question ......

It will go one of two ways.  You will either get and Armi San Marco that works.  Or one that doesn't work.  If it doesn't work, your screwed, because there are no parts available.  Although you may well able to substitute Pietta for some and Uberti for some.  This hold true throughout the ASM line.  Their Quality Control was non-existent.  Outwardly Gorgeous, inwardly KRAP .. or not.  ASM Richards guns were almost universally garbage.  Cimarron, EMF and Navy Arms took a bath in warranty costs until they dumped ASM.

I personally think the ASM Never Never 1861 Richards was the sexiest bit of steel ever.  At one time I had 11 of them.  Understanding, 8 of them were a stock of parts to keep three of them running.  I finally sold all of them off.  We always have the coin flip over Pietta and Uberti.  Each of whom have their respective champions.  Nobody champions ASM.  Never ever buy one you cannot inspect first.  If your not and accomplished "Tinker" .... think long and hard about it.

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 07:35:26 PM »
I passed even though it looked decent. I tinker some but I did not want to take a chance on there being major problems.  Thanks to all
For the advice and other input.

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 04:46:01 PM »
I passed even though it looked decent. I tinker some but I did not want to take a chance on there being major problems.  Thanks to all
For the advice and other input.

I had 4 Harford Deluxe SAA models pre-war configuration, only one had to go back,  timing on the half cock, the cylinder didn't line up with the loading gate had to tell the EMF gunsmith how to fix it, notch on the hammer was cut a hair too deep, others were prefect.  Uberti  1875 Remington by Navy Arms was replaced by Navy Arms with an EMF Outlaw that had to go back five times get the web screw to stay in, when shot the whole thing come apart including the cylinder base pin rod. The hole in the barrel to hold the web, ejector and cylinder base pin rod was drilled crocked and not threaded completely.   The 1875 Navy Arms the cylinder center hole was not drilled straight and that one was onw of the 1st 44-40 imported into the USA back in 1976. So Uberti in my experience had no quality control 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com