Author Topic: Your favorite Black Powder  (Read 11613 times)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Re: Your favorite Black Powder
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 10:13:50 AM »
For short range ammo, I'd say go for it. BTW my "Drop tube" is a 24" piece of copper pipe mounted on a couple of short lengths of 2" x 4" to make a quick&dirty stand. Cost? Close to nil.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 10:23:10 AM »
The drop tube is more consistent and efficient:  I have tried both ways, side by side, and the drop tubed loads settle deeper, at a more consistent depth.  I have also tried holding my loads atop my vibrating case cleaner for a few seconds.  The drop tube loads still work better.  Consistency is everything in accurate BP loading.  Gravity is constant, the 24" tube is always 24".

Also, dropping the powder allows fines dust to drift and settle on top of the load.  Settling the powder by vibration brings this dust down to the primer, making for inconsistent ignition.

However, for CAS loading, or most open sight hunting, as has been said, you can dispense with some of this.  I don't drop tube revolver loads, and the wad isn't needed for those applications.  But when the load gets past 40 grains, I drop tube, and if the range is greater than 100 yards, I add the wads.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 10:25:02 AM »
Tapping the side of the case won't get the settling of the powder near as well as just using a slow pour holding the powder pan a few inches above the funnel. I use the powder funnel from Midway with the 4 inch extension tube, and using a slow pour get just as much settling as using a long drop tube.
 I like a card wad under the bullet as it cuts down on the gas cutting of the bullet base. While the accuracy difference in "short range" stuff like the wcf's is minimal, the reduction in leading is significant.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:31:17 AM »

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 10:35:01 AM »
OK, let me ask you this: What would the difference be between using a drop tube as opposed to simply tapping the case a few time one the side of the rim to settle the powder. Seems to me it would serve the same purpose, settles the powder. I did it that way when loading 44-40's years ago. Plus I don't have a drop tube.  ;D
    Try it King , the last several  times I loaded for 45-60   45/75 and my 50-95  I poured the powder slow into a funnel directly into  the case ( No Drop tube )  leaned it just a bit as I pour and it makes the powder swirl   on its way in , then I tap the case 17 times on the loading bench . It settles the powder down into the .50 case  about another 3/32 " after that ritual  . Why 17 taps I don't know its just what I do , and seems to work . Now remember I'm not a several hundred yd. shooter  200 yd. is long range to me  I'm sure the long range guys  do their loading much different than me . What I do works good for the loads that I need . ,,DT

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 11:11:06 AM »
OK, brass drop tube on the "to get" list.
BTW, I am not going to be a long distance shooter, fun and hunting distance only, probly not much over 100 yards. (still plan to someday get down there, DT, not going to make it this year tho. You'll have to wait till next year for me to teach you how to shoot.  ;))

OK, next question. Best way to measure your loads. I gather that my old Lyman 55 dispencer is a no no for BP.
King Medallion

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 11:14:06 AM »
The Lyman 55 works fine for blackpowder. Matter of fact the graduations marked on the slides were made with blackpowder in mind.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 11:17:49 AM »
Look forward to you coming down King , I'm sure the hogs may feel a bit different about meeting  you  and your 45/75  LOL. My homemade drop tube , thought you may need a good laugh . ,,,,DT

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 01:27:47 PM »
Mine ain't that fancy!  Scrap lumber, 2 loop screws, a piece of copper tube, a kitchen funnel, and a small hose clamp to adjust height.  ;D

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »
Didn't want to brag but mine is adjustable too. The wire is wrapped around the tube tight enough that you have to twist and pull up or down for different cartridge length . The Deluxe model if you will .,,,DT

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 05:00:38 PM »
the lyman 55 is the old standard.....but the Belding and Mull is better by being way more consistent. it is easy to increase hopper capacity by by switching over to a  longer 1 1/2 brass tube....3 pins to remove. i find these beldings at gun shows, pawn shops and ebay fairly cheap. have 3 on bench now with different black granulation in each....don't have room for a 4th....just yet!  i still use the drop tube though....it pays dividends.
best
kw

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2018, 07:43:01 PM »
Oh yeah, nothing better for BP than a B&M.  One clamped to my bench, right next to the drop tube.  You can get them pretty cheap on ebay!

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 10:15:40 PM »
Favourite Blackpowder  ;)

Essence of bat guano - flowers of brimstone - ash of the willow

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »
I see several say a paper wad atop the powder before the bullet? Advantage or disadvantage? I guess try it to see whats best. I got some unlubed 330 grn bullets from Penn Bullets, and a 459 sizer for my Lyman Sizer/luber machine. and just got the heating pad thingy. And a new roll of SPG, found my old tube in a box, been in there for over 20 years. I emailed Steve Garbe (sp) he said it should still be good, but I got a new tube anyway to start. Now, if my son has any ears at all, I'll have a new drop tube under the tree this year.  ;) ;D
King Medallion

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2018, 10:05:54 AM »
 Yes you'll want at minimum a .030 fiber wad under the bullet.
 The wad helps to keep the base of the bullet from being deformed when the powder charge goes off.

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2018, 10:19:05 AM »
always wipe the base of the lubed bullet off clean before loading into the case. you do not the wad sticking to the base (wax adhesion) for a ride down range. this step is very important, a couple of passes on a piece of paper towel will do it.
best
kw

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2018, 10:14:50 AM »
WOOT! My son was listening! Drop tube in hand. Wads ordered and some Montana Swaged SPG lubed bullets also on the way. The bullets ordered are .458.  The bullets I got from Penn are .459.  Be interesting to see what works best. Oh, I also scored 100 NEW Jamison 45/75 cases! I should have enough cases now to last my lifetime. Been a pretty good Christmas so far.
King Medallion

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2018, 01:50:47 PM »
 I've used cardboard tablet backing to rub

my bullet bases over to remove any lube sticking to the bullet base with good results.  I have been using Swiss 1.5 f2f  in .45-70, .45-60, and  .40-65 and probably won't change unless I come across some Old Eynsford 1.5 fg..  I hear good things about it.

Jubal Starbuck

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2018, 03:39:19 PM »
WOOT! My son was listening! Drop tube in hand. Wads ordered and some Montana Swaged SPG lubed bullets also on the way. The bullets ordered are .458.  The bullets I got from Penn are .459.  Be interesting to see what works best. Oh, I also scored 100 NEW Jamison 45/75 cases! I should have enough cases now to last my lifetime. Been a pretty good Christmas so far.

Ahhhh lucky boy !!! thats a good score for sure -----where did you find em?

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »
On the SASS classified someone had some for sale, but I was too late. Anyway another member messaged me that he had some for sale. He is a member here as well, Silver Rings.
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2018, 06:47:47 PM »
Good score , your about to have some fun shooting the Bp. loads in the 45-75 ,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com