Author Topic: Lyman M die  (Read 1572 times)

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Lyman M die
« on: February 20, 2018, 12:17:37 AM »
Have any of the forum users used the Lyman Neck Expanding M die for 56-50? If how well did they work out?

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Lyman M die
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 10:20:10 AM »
Have you used the "M" die in other calibers?  I've used them on several, but not the .56-50.  They've always worked very well for me in other calibers, for what it's worth.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 12:23:09 PM »
Howdy Treebeard,

I have been an employee and a consultant to Lyman. I'm currently retired, but still use and recommend the M die for cast bullets. I would call it a three step neck expanding die. The first step into the case neck expands to the correct diameter to properly tension the seated bullet. The next step into the case neck further expands a short section at the case mouth to accept the bullet diameter, starting it into the case. The final step often is not needed as it will flare the case mouth if needed for over sized bullets. For my cowboy loads, I have never needed the third, flaring step. I believe that not flaring the case promotes case longevity. I also use the M die on cast bullet rifle loads.

Them's my thoughts for free (so you know what they are worth).

Reverend Chase

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:51:59 AM »

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 02:35:42 PM »
Thanks for the input from Neiderlander and the Reverend. I have never tried the M die but think I will now considering the low cost.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com