Author Topic: Smokeless muzzle loader  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Smokeless muzzle loader
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 02:08:11 PM »

I read the article.  I'm still not sure how it (the gun) works.  I "think" one first shoves a bullet in from the front.  Then drops propellent in from the back??  Then does a "Primer" of some sort??  It seems a slow and convoluted manner of loading, however, and but, if Makes it a legal handgun in Old Blighty, good on ya!!  Still have to lock it up wid da Constable yes??

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 02:39:40 PM »
The pistol loads just like a conventional muzzle loader. The cylinder is shaped to take a small charge of Herco powder below the ball (the flakes are too big to drop through the ignition hole in the rear of the cylinder) which is dispensed accurately by the powder measure. Ignition is by 209 shotgun primers. The firing pin is in the recoil shield. The cylinder is newly manufactured as the Uberti BP cylinder is too soft to take the pressure of the smokeless powder. The big plus for the CAS shooters is the lack of BP fouling. Recoil is very similar to a .38 Special.

Chance

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:36:54 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 03:09:22 PM »
Ah So Papa San .....

I can well understand the desire to avoid BP Fouling.  Sorta.  Almost.  Maybe.  My CAS Main Match guns are Snubbies.  Built out of Pietta .44 Navys.  Must be loaded on an off the gun cylinder loading stand.  So ... I wipe the cylinder face and barrel breach face and Arbor after every stage.  Takes maybe a minute per gun for that.  Maybe run a patch thru the barrel.  Therefore, I don't see the fouling as an issue.

For smokeless (icky fad heathen stuff) I load suppositories.  Cute little C45S cases.  TightGroup powder.  But, a conversion cylinder and cartridges entails a whole new game in the UK yes??  With an R&D type conversion, I still take apart every stage.  It's how you load after all.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 05:52:18 PM »
These were (are?) an outgrowth from the developments by the Poor Impoverished Brits who are doomed by their enlightened overlords to only be allowed to own licensed muzzleloaders. Until the overlords take those away too.

diligent interweb searches will turn up such ingenius but sad devices from the U.K.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 12:36:13 PM »
Thanks for your kind words, professor. I'm sure all UK shooters will be comforted by your support.

Chance

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 08:00:45 PM »
Thanks for your kind words, professor. I'm sure all UK shooters will be comforted by your support.

Chance

No offense, merely explaining the situation to the U.S. shooters. Many outside of Great Britain are unaware of the extreme limitations the British shooters must face from their own government. And a warning to everyone to remain viligant and oppose such governments.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 09:42:43 AM »
The Brits have come up with all sorts of things to make life easier.  Fortunately there is zero interest or need for such things here in the U.S.  Here is a mod several in the UK have done using regular large pistol primers.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 03:22:15 PM »
No offense, merely explaining the situation to the U.S. shooters. Many outside of Great Britain are unaware of the extreme limitations the British shooters must face from their own government. And a warning to everyone to remain viligant and oppose such governments.

not just England professor ---Australia - Canada - New Zealand (less so)
Enjoy it while you can - it may not last forever

yhs
prof marvel

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 03:50:10 PM »
not just England professor ---Australia - Canada - New Zealand (less so)
Enjoy it while you can - it may not last forever

Such is the difference between between a constitutional gov't , with some certain explicit inalianable rights put down on parchment, vs gov't at the whim of a crown and some "hosue of lords".

even France & Spain have better gun laws than GB .

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 06:15:42 PM »
Such is the difference between between a constitutional gov't , with some certain explicit inalianable rights put down on parchment, vs gov't at the whim of a crown and some "hosue of lords".

Its not all beer and skittles tho - you guys have some of the most restrictive legislation on the planet
sure ya can walk down the street totin a sixgun
try takin some form of alternative health treatment for a diagnosed ailment - or a parent opting out of vaccinating their kid with some or any of the 69 mandated shots. (the doctor involved will get locked up)
Land of the free eh?

yhs
prof marvel

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 10:46:37 PM »
Ah My Dear GreyHawk

offtopic----------------------
there are "issues" with living anywhere. One has to choose depending upon their circumstances.

actually it is dirt simple to get "alternative treatments". I do it all the time.
It is important to avoid mis-information and propoganda spewed by those with agendas.
like the AMA. By all means PM me if you wish to continue this elsewhere.

Back to Great Britian, it is also not legal to carry a simple 2.5" lockblade pocketknife like this one in  Her Magesties Domain.

(which is one of my 3 EDC pocketknives.)

Of course, all HerMagestries  laws are doing nothing to stop the bad guys. Because, well, they are Bad Guys.

I also know some Brits who "keep" modern guns in France and travel there to shoot, and
a growing number of retirees who emigrated to Spain.
endofftopic----------------------

Back on topic, the British Shooting Community has been  incredibly ingenious in finding some
ways around the fascists in the home-orrifice - witness these examples from AA andWestlake
where they have taken modern revovlers and ... de-evolved them... into GB legal Muzzleloaders.
This includes many SA revolvers, and Smith and Taurus DA swing-out revolvers!

http://www.aandagunsmiths.co.uk/pistols/

http://www.westlakeengineering.com/products/

and here is a brief history of some of the problems as told by Westlake:

http://www.westlakeengineering.com/our-history/

back to discussing C&B and CowboyGuns

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 12:42:18 AM »
Ah My Dear GreyHawk

offtopic----------------------
there are "issues" with living anywhere. One has to choose depending upon their circumstances.
Professor - Most of us dont get to choose - If I decided to move to northern idaho - would they let me in - doubtful - I would vote red - that probably cinch it eh
actually it is dirt simple to get "alternative treatments". I do it all the time.
Mostly taint legal though? 

Back to Great Britian, it is also not legal to carry a simple 2.5" lockblade pocketknife like this one in  Her Magesties Domain.
Yeah same at my place - gotta be 18 and present ID to buy a razor blade (thought they called em safety razors but maybe they got a life of their own) same deal for a can of spray paint - but ya can walk down the aisle of the grocery store and buy 16 different toxic pesticides no ID required for that

Hey do you know anything about a kind of swiss army knife deal incorporated into a credit card ? I got pulled boarding a plane from Kununurra to Darwin a few years ago and the guy wanted to see my wallet - show me yr credit card - WTF - I hadda show it to get on the plane - he took it out back where I could not see what the hell he was doin (kinda pissed at this point) - returns - hands it back n I asked im what this is all about -- he says theys a credit card out there now with a lil thin blade like a flick knife built in it .................oooooooo k ..... the nextphone call I made (and pronto) was to my bank .....never had that happen before or since - never heard of it again. 

Back on topic, the British Shooting Community has been  incredibly ingenious in finding some
ways around the fascists in the home-orrifice - witness these examples from AA andWestlake
where they have taken modern revovlers and ... de-evolved them... into GB legal Muzzleloaders.
This includes many SA revolvers, and Smith and Taurus DA swing-out revolvers!

We dont have that perticular loophole - a pistol is a pistol is a pistol - but we get to store them at home still - under lock and key - special safe and no ammo allowed in the same safe - not allowed to shoot it anyplace except at the licenced pistol club

Perceptions are interesting
Travelling in your country a dozen some years back - I pulled off the wrong side of the freeway - maybe it was Shelbyville Kentucky (coulda been further east I was going to Abingdon Virgina) dark and cold and all but lost I stumbled onto a cheap lil motel up a backstreet - went in - $35 bucks /night  - hes an Indian (subcontinent not native) soons I show my creditcard all he wants to do is talk about cricket - hes a cricket nut - I'm an aussie I must be one too right? ....no .... its a dumb game - I dont like cricket at all - its boring - stand out in 100degeree heat for five days to get a verdict ????
Next morning I wandered round till I found a gas station (still on the wrong side of the tracks) had ta go inside to pay - lil dude with a big handle bar mustache - checks out me credit card - ahh Aussie they took away all your guns didnt they (statement not question and the first thing he said to me) .....no mate ... so I spend some time telling him what I got home in the safe - he goes kinda bug eyed - we thought they took all yr guns .........
The average untravelled Aussie perception of an american is your typical loudmouth yank - rude - loud - full of brag -- its funny - four longish trips over there - I still didnt find that person - figured you must send em all out as tourists

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com