Author Topic: Colt Bisley is real?  (Read 5571 times)

sfc rick

Colt Bisley is real?
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:10:42 PM »
I have an opportunity to buy a Colt Bisley in .45 Colt with a 4 3/4" barrel. The serial number look up says 1904 date. But its a stainless steel revolver and the rollmarks are so faint its virtually impossible to see. However the revolver looks almost new with a new semi gloss finish. I'm very hesitant to spend money on a fake. What say you guys?

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Colt Bisley is real?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 06:35:55 PM »
Best suggestion?  POST PICTURES!!!.  Hard to answer your qustions, without seeing what you're looking at.  If it is in fact stainless steel as you say, it's not real.  What makes you think it's stainless?

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 06:38:55 PM »
Although I'm not an old Colt expert, I can feel pretty safe saying there were NO stainless steel Colts produced in 1904. If it's really nickle plated, and the rollmarks are faint, then it's probably been polished and refinished.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:24:30 AM »

sfc rick

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 06:58:01 PM »
I know stainless from my engineering days. I will take photos tomorrow. The more I think on it, the more it seems like a fake. The gun store owner bought it and didn't know a price to sell it for yet....that never happens at a Pawn shop. He never looks at buying a used gun without looking the value up first. So I suspect he might also suspect his decision may have lost him some serious bucks.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 08:38:05 PM »
Not only has Colt never made a stainless Bisley (or anything else that old), but NOBODY has made a stainless Bisley that I know of.  Except the Bisley Vaquero of course, but that doesn't count.  An Italian stainless SAA could be converted to a Bisley, but again, no Italian Bisley gripframes.

So I vote that the gun is carbon steel with some sort of matte finish, which could be several things (matte nickle?).

sfc rick

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 09:26:52 PM »
Well I could be wrong with the stainless comment, since it was inadequate lighting and just took a quick overall look, I've made mistakes before. so tomorrow I'll take the magnifying glass and take plenty of photos.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 10:16:23 PM »
I'll bet it is a Colt.  Might be a good shooter, IF the price is right.  First, it's a Bisley, not an SAA.  Obviously refinished in some manner, which may be pretty but hurts value.  Markings worn or buffed away.  Good luck!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 10:40:28 AM »
I'm not a Colt aficionado nor Colt authority ..... Butt ......

PLUS ONE to Abilene.  Nobody had made a Stainless Colt pattern Bisley (Ruger doesn't count).  I'll bet for Nickel and I'll bet it's a refinish.  Normally, whether Colt or Reproduction, ALL the roll marks are crisp and clear under the nickel.  If the roll marks are that difficult to read, the gun has been over-buffed.  It may well be a shooter, but I certainly wouldn't pay a lot of folding money for it.

sfc rick

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
OK, UPDATE! I went for a closer inspection with magnifying glass and talked with the guy who sold the Colt to the previous owner 10 years ago. This firearm is genuine Colt made in 1904. All I need to do is wait for an appraisal to be done soon and then pick it up. I'll take good photos then, it has been refinished and it looks amazing even though the barrel has been overbuffed.

Anyway Thanks a bunch for the info. The serial number lookup on Colt's website confirmed the manufactured date.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 08:28:19 PM »
I hope your appraiser knows his stuff.   A Colt Bisley in average condition is not an expensive gun.  One that has been refinished has even less value.  In your eyes it may look amazing, but if the barrel address has been buffed off, there are probably other issues with the way it was buffed and refinished.  You should always use caution when buying a refinished gun.

sfc rick

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 07:00:00 AM »
I hope your appraiser knows his stuff.   A Colt Bisley in average condition is not an expensive gun.  One that has been refinished has even less value.  In your eyes it may look amazing, but if the barrel address has been buffed off, there are probably other issues with the way it was buffed and refinished.  You should always use caution when buying a refinished gun.

I do not expect to pay more than it's worth, I won't spend much more than $1200 or so. They may ask for more but I'll happily pass and continue my search for a Colt SAA. This one isn't something I have to have.

sfc rick

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 05:51:51 PM »
Not going to happen. The LGS owner decided he wanted the Colt and pulled it back. Which is best for me since I found out he wanted $3500 for it. Now I can just buy a Colt SAA NIB my other LGS owner said he could find for me.

So things are looking up.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 06:31:55 PM »
Not going to happen. The LGS owner decided he wanted the Colt and pulled it back. Which is best for me since I found out he wanted $3500 for it. Now I can just buy a Colt SAA NIB my other LGS owner said he could find for me.

So things are looking up.

HOLY GUACAMOLE!  That guy is bananas.  Or maybe he thinks it is stainless, and the only one Colt ever produced  :D

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 07:37:36 PM »
Yeah, the big box guys seem to think that if they're selling the gun it's always rare and pristine, if they're buying your gun it's a piece of junk only worth a few bucks, and they're doing you a favor by giving you an extra $50.

Was looking at a 38-40, 1904 or so SAA at Gander Mountain, they wanted around $3400 for it. I offered a thousand. Guy told me I knew nothing about old Colts. Went home and brought back my 1906 38-40, in better condition than theirs, and told him I only paid $1100 for it. He offered me $1200 and told me I wouldn't find a better offer anywhere. I left and never went back, might explain why they went bankrupt.

sfc rick

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 07:49:47 AM »
HOLY GUACAMOLE!  That guy is bananas.  Or maybe he thinks it is stainless, and the only one Colt ever produced  :D

I told him I was prepared to pay $1700 for it and might even go a little over, but certainly not in the $3500 range. He said they looked up a value on one in 50% condition and valued it $3500-$5500 range. I told him that's awesome, but happy I didn't get it. The rollmarks were virtually buffed out and it was refinished in something bare metally looking or something. Glad I can move on now to something better in the future.

sfc rick

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 07:51:37 AM »
Yeah, the big box guys seem to think that if they're selling the gun it's always rare and pristine, if they're buying your gun it's a piece of junk only worth a few bucks, and they're doing you a favor by giving you an extra $50.

Was looking at a 38-40, 1904 or so SAA at Gander Mountain, they wanted around $3400 for it. I offered a thousand. Guy told me I knew nothing about old Colts. Went home and brought back my 1906 38-40, in better condition than theirs, and told him I only paid $1100 for it. He offered me $1200 and told me I wouldn't find a better offer anywhere. I left and never went back, might explain why they went bankrupt.

Yes they feel that way...only one in a million and their price is totally awesome.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 01:52:11 PM »
(Hee Hee) It can work both ways.  One time I was in the gun library at the St Louis Cabelas (BTW, great place, good folks, willing to talk) and spotted a MAS 1873 revolver in the case, marked "Old French revolver, no finish" at a price 1/2 of what I would have paid for it. (MAS 1873's were finished in the white)

Yes, it left with me.  Especially after I pointed out the the "1881" date on the barrel meant no paperwork.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline maldito gringo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 05:13:14 PM »
I have a Colt SAA 1903 mfg that is missing all of its original finish, not buffed, markings are legible, sounds a lot like what you are describing. With the finish "wiped off" it can look a bit like stainless or matte nickel. Prices on Bisleys are more or less comparable with similar vintage SAAs condition, caliber, barrel length and all other things being equal. I have 3 Bisleys and 2 SAAs. The relative merits of each have been argued endlessly. While the Bisley was designed as a target pistol, lots of folks who used a gun for business on both sides of the law liked and used them. Panchp Villa was said to be a fan. I like em both.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com