Author Topic: Re-cutting Bullet Mould  (Read 4055 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re-cutting Bullet Mould
« on: January 27, 2018, 05:41:00 PM »
Anyone out there who can re-cut a bullet mould for me?

I like my Lyman 457193/420 gr mould, but I'd like it better if it carried more lube. Is it a big deal to cut the grooves a little deeper?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
Re: Re-cutting Bullet Mould
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »
You would actualy have to add metal to the mold to get the lube groove deeper.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 06:03:02 PM »
????

I may be just as far ahead to order a different mould.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:35:29 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 06:31:44 PM »
If you haven't tried Accurate Molds, I highly recommend them (him). Tom could take that design and make it with deeper grooves, making it just how you want it.  I have several of his molds and I don't think that I could be satisfied with anything less.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 06:49:14 PM »
must agree with CCG the accurate moulds are great and the service is better , if that can be . Well worth the money Tom will make you the bullet mould you want , at a very reasonable price . ,,,DT

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »
Another vote for Accurate.  Great moulds, great to do business with.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 07:26:40 PM »

What major says ----- think about it fer a minute

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 08:34:04 PM »

What major says ----- think about it fer a minute

Yes, folks,  the large rifle mold  457193/420 , looks like this

any cutting would enlarge the driving bands to a wider band, decreasing the amount of lube...
or a greater diameter thus making the bullet to large in diameter.

One Cannot cut the lube grooves deeper. I tried once ....  turned a .45 pistol mold into a .50  :P

to increase the amount of lube, one would start with a smaller mold, say a .452, and cut the driving bands a larger diameter,
such as .457.

i was going to try to post an image, but its waaaaay too hard today....

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 08:31:39 AM »
keep your eye out for the same mold number......but find a old Ideal mold before Lyman.  They usually have the large grease grooves you are after. I have slowly been acquiring many of these older molds that where designed for black powder.
best
kw

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »
This has been suggested to me before. Pity Lyman got away from the old BP pattern.

If more moulds were so cut today, we'd see less of a need for lube cookies in long barrels.

keep your eye out for the same mold number......but find a old Ideal mold before Lyman.  They usually have the large grease grooves you are after. I have slowly been acquiring many of these older molds that where designed for black powder.
best
kw

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Accurate Bullet Moulds
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 11:22:53 AM »
I checked their web site. Looks like a good product line. Two that caught my eye are: 46-525 and 46-455 M. Large grease grooves and the 46-525s grooves are square bottomed for max lube.

Right now when I cast 520 gr 45-70 bullets, I'm using  two single cavity Lyman 457125 moulds. I have to keep the bullets sorted as I cast. One mold throws consistently good quality bullets once up to temp, t'other (a newer mould) has to be frequently smoked and needs to be very hot. I alternate to allow cooling time but production is still painstakingly slow.

I'm thinking a double cavity Accurate mould would be an asset. Question is - brass or aluminum?

I don't think I'd mind the weight of brass and I've had bad experience with Lee aluminum moulds, and not because I abused them. I tend to pamper my moulds, cleaning and oiling them after every session. No, I don't oil aluminum moulds.

So who is using what with what results?

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 12:43:01 PM »
PJ    All 6 Accurate moulds that Tom has made for me are aluminum , I would like to try a brass mould just because they look great , but have to say the aluminum moulds work great for me .,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 03:53:21 PM »
I checked their web site. Looks like a good product line. Two that caught my eye are: 46-525 and 46-455 M. Large grease grooves and the 46-525s grooves are square bottomed for max lube.

Right now when I cast 520 gr 45-70 bullets, I'm using  two single cavity Lyman 457125 moulds. I have to keep the bullets sorted as I cast. One mold throws consistently good quality bullets once up to temp, t'other (a newer mould) has to be frequently smoked and needs to be very hot. I alternate to allow cooling time but production is still painstakingly slow.

I'm thinking a double cavity Accurate mould would be an asset. Question is - brass or aluminum?

I don't think I'd mind the weight of brass and I've had bad experience with Lee aluminum moulds, and not because I abused them. I tend to pamper my moulds, cleaning and oiling them after every session. No, I don't oil aluminum moulds.

PJ
What bad experience with Lee molds?  I have a number of em and really like them - Their quality control went in the toilet one time a few years back (457-500-3R) but they fixed it --- we get four LEE molds for the price of one RCBS or whatever out here - and you blokes can buy em for 20 bucks - at that level of price difference there bound to be some occasional problems I guess . I particularly like the fast start up with Al and its much easier on the wrist - those double brass and iron molds are heavy! 

So who is using what with what results?

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »
All of my molds from Accurate Molds are aluminum and they work great. I've never tried a brass mold. Accurate Molds are so much better than Lee as well as being heftier. I have ONLY good things to say about Accurate Molds.

Keep in mind that they're custom molds. I've used his stock designs, had him make alterations of his current designs and had him help me design my own, all for the same price. Tom is just great to work with.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 04:45:45 PM »
greyhawk

My experience with Lee moulds is limited to their .50 calibre 450 gr and a Minie mould. Neither produced the quality bullets I get from steel moulds.

Likewise their dies. Only ones I have any use for is the 44-40 FCD and the universal decapping die.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 05:54:12 PM »
greyhawk

My experience with Lee moulds is limited to their .50 calibre 450 gr and a Minie mould. Neither produced the quality bullets I get from steel moulds.

Likewise their dies. Only ones I have any use for is the 44-40 FCD and the universal decapping die.

PJ
I love that universal decapper die - saves gettin blackpowder crud all over the proper dies and its worked great on a variety of cases - bought mine in Cabelas - North Platte last trip I made - dont have the FCD - happy with normal crimp - proper boolits with nice crimp grooves help a lot. I have three sets of LEE dies but prefer my RCBS ones - nothing I can put my finger on really - familiarity maybe ? I started out with RCBS.  I did have a couple LEE molds with problems - emailed them about it - they were happy to replace them no charge - BUT - by time I sent em back freight cost was more than the mold - my message was ya got a problem - fix it - they did and the subsequent mold 459-500-3R - is as good as they get.  I broke the old mold down and salvaged the handles for another.  Some of the comparisons made round here are a bit unfair I think - LEE at twenty bucks versus a custom mold for five times the money - there needs to be a serious difference somewhere! 

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 06:16:13 PM »
I have several Accurate molds, all aluminum, they are great IMHO.  He's my go to maker now that NEI is gone.  I also have an old Rapine M1881 aluminum mold that I'll never get rid of as well. 

I must say,  some of Lee's latest 2 cavity molds, with the steel conical alignment pins, have been very good indeed.  I've got a new one of the 515450 .50-70 military bullet molds, and it drops great, consistent, concentric bullets.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 06:22:17 PM »
I have had real good results with my Seco mold by Redding.  Higher cost than a Lee but a much better product.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 12:07:42 AM »
I have two double cavity Accurate molds.  One in aluminum and the other brass.  Both are excellent molds and of course the brass is quite a bit heavier.  I was thinking about ordering another mold today but I haven't been able to decide between the aluminum or brass. 

Billy

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 10:48:02 AM »
Been looking at the Accurate list.

What's to choose between the 46-525 P and the 46-455 M?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com