Author Topic: New nickel plated uberti cattleman  (Read 5451 times)

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
New nickel plated uberti cattleman
« on: January 20, 2018, 05:31:50 PM »
Recently I posted on the gunsmithing sub forum about a Navy Arms 73, and well it was a gunsmiths special to put it honestly. I bought it for 300$ and after a cylinder the hand spring broke as pointed out by several individuals here. So I took it back and the guys at the gun store were surprised that it broke rather quickly, so they said they can fix it or take it back and use the money I paid for it as credit for another gun. So I went looking and after a few that captured my fancy, the employee helping me said, " I have something in that barrel length that's around the same price as the one you had.", so he went into their stock room and pulled out this gorgeous 7.5" nickel plated Uberti cattleman. I left with it as soon as he showed me. In the end I am the owner of a new nickel plated revolver for the low price of 400$, now it was a shot show gun, so if anyone here was at shot show last year and say a nickel plated cattleman at Ubertis booth. Well it found a home with me.  ;D

but man this thing is gorgeous! very little trigger pull

this gun was a steal at its price and im glad I own it!

This holster I bought for one of my 51 navies but its new partner is the nickel plated 73!  ;D

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
Re: New nickel plated uberti cattleman
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 08:55:11 AM »
Nice!  I guess it is the lighting, makes it look stainless.  Shot Show guns all have firing pins removed.  They did put it back, right?  :D  That would be one way you could tell if he told the truth.  You can never get that FP retainer pin to look totally new when replaced in the hammer.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 11:59:44 AM »
Nice!  I guess it is the lighting, makes it look stainless.  Shot Show guns all have firing pins removed.  They did put it back, right?  :D  That would be one way you could tell if he told the truth.  You can never get that FP retainer pin to look totally new when replaced in the hammer.

I thought the same thing
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:40:43 AM »

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 04:39:23 PM »
The guys at gun shop had a huge shipment of uberti guns come in anf many were half priced like this one. They said they were shot show guns. It does have the firing pin and is a smooth shooter. Nothing looks out of place on the hammer.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 08:31:52 PM »
...Nothing looks out of place on the hammer.

Look for the pin on the side of the hammer that secures the firing pin.  It should be seamless and so smooth that you almost can't tell it is there on a new gun.   Once that pin is knocked out with a punch and then reinstalled (or replaced with a new pin), it is near impossible to make it look like brand new without refinishing the hammer.  That is how you can tell if they are BSing you about it being a Shot Show gun.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 11:36:14 PM »
Yeah, they installed a new pin. i noticed it now so its gonna bug me for a long time. Thanks for the heads up Abilene! ;D

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 11:57:59 PM »
Well I imagine your gun has the old style hammer, possibly with hammer block safety, but without the newfangled retractable firing pin.  Since Uberti is putting that on most of their guns now, I would imagine that they decided to replace all their ShotShow guns with new models.  Which turned out to be your good fortune!

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 04:40:39 PM »
Beautiful gun and a nice price.  I have one myself and it is am amazing SAA.   I have a few to hudge by  but mine via Cimarron a few years ago is as good as a modern SAA gets from any maker.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 09:04:06 PM »
Looks like stainless to me too.
SASS #81,827

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 10:35:10 PM »
Could be stainless but Uberti's nickel is pretty nice.  Cimarron Scout but Uberti nickel.  Here's mine.  It is 6 or 7 years old  by now.  Stripped the finish on the grips and added a Colt cylinder pin.  Other than that the way it came.

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 03:07:39 AM »
This one is Stainless