Author Topic: G B Grinnell's The Wolf Hunters  (Read 1682 times)

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
G B Grinnell's The Wolf Hunters
« on: January 02, 2018, 10:44:16 PM »
Ran across this whilst doing some other digging.  Written by George Bird Grinnell sometime prior to July 1914, the introduction says in part:
The following pages describe the adventures of Mr. Peck and two companions—all recently discharged soldiers—during the winter of 1861-1862.

Robert Morris Peck was born in Washington, Mason County, Kentucky, October 30, 1839. At the age of seventeen—November, 1856—he enlisted[Pg vi] in the First Cavalry, and the following year was sent to Fort Leavenworth and took part in the Cheyenne and other campaigns. He was discharged in 1861, and not very long afterward became a wagon-master, in which capacity he served in the army of the frontier. Mr. Peck died March 25, 1909.

Available online at http://www.gutenberg.org/files/55720/55720-h/55720-h.htm  I'd give a review, but I'm still reading it.  Up to about p.156 at least, it is an interesting read.
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com