Author Topic: Cowboy vs Regular Dies  (Read 3453 times)

Online Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
Re: Cowboy vs Regular Dies
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 12:09:30 am »
I've loaded thousands of 44WCF rounds with .429 bullets using standard Lee dies. I don't recall ever crumpling a case while seating bullets except when I was careless and didn't center them in the case mouth.  I've ruined a number by trying to seat and crimp in one motion, though, as previously mentioned. I mainly use a Redding T7 turret press.  I mount the sizing and belling dies together, running each case into first, then turning the turret to run it into the second. I then prime with a separate hand tool.  After I charge the cases, I mount the seating die (set to seat the bullet and straighten the case mouth) and a Lee factory crimp die in the press and use the same process to finish the job. Just my method--there are others.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 02:46:07 pm »
Hi Gang,
If you are using Star Line new .44-40 brass you must run it through a sizing die to form the neck.
That brand new brass has a straight sided case and may be sized to .44-40 or, as I do, expanded to .451 to use in my .45 Colt rifle and stop blow back. I tried using a couple of range pick up .44-40 cases and they simple split.
Any way that is my experience
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 05:08:26 pm »
Hi Gang,
If you are using Star Line new .44-40 brass you must run it through a sizing die to form the neck.
That brand new brass has a straight sided case and may be sized to .44-40 or, as I do, expanded to .451 to use in my .45 Colt rifle and stop blow back. I tried using a couple of range pick up .44-40 cases and they simple split.
Any way that is my experience
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk
Re new brass, "you must run it through a sizing die" is too imperative, because my loading of new Starline brass goes better if I don't size. Works fine. My gun doesn't require sizing of new brass when they drop nicely into a max cartridge gauge right out of the bag. The shape is still going to be different regardless after fire forming. I need to expand for a .430 bullet, so sizing just over works the brass.