Author Topic: Lonesome Dove and Return to Lonesome Dove  (Read 5175 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Lonesome Dove and Return to Lonesome Dove
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:34:47 PM »
I recently acquired The complete Lonesome Dove collector DVD set, digitally re-mastered.  About a month ago, my wife and I had a Lonesome Dove marathon, and watched the entire first movie in one sitting.  Incredible.  Today was a rainy, miserable day, so we had a Return to Lonesome Dove marathon, and watched the Return in one setting.  Great Movie.  I still favor the the first pone, but the second one is still awesome, too. 

I have watched the original about 10 times, but for some reason, I had only seen the second one once before when it first came out on VHS.  It was really fun to watch it again after all these years.  Few other westerns, with the possible exception of Open Range, capture the West like the first two lonesome Doves.  I have lots of other favorite westerns, but LD 1 & 2, and Open Range are the three best. Broken Trail, Crossfire Trail, Last Stand at Sabre River, Monte Walsh, and Connegher are pretty close, but do not capture the grandeur of the open west.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Lonesome Dove and Return to Lonesome Dove
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 10:44:27 PM »
Very well made. Great story.  Great cast.  Authentic.  Realistic regarding the grit, toughness, and peril of the times.  And top it off with being so long that there is a lot of time for character development (and the viewer's attachment to them) and for you to get broadsided from time to time as people you have grown attached to suddenly meet a violent end.

I've probably only watched the original L.D. maybe half dozen times all the way through, but it does reside on my laptop's hard drive  :)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 11:14:27 PM »
Even the weapons in the movie(s)  1860 Henries, 1866 and 1873 Winchesters, Sharps, Trapdoors...1858 and 1875 Remingtons, Colt percussions and cartridge conversions, Walker Colts, Smith No/3s of several flavors, 1877 Colt DA, and 1873 Colts.  It is a veritable smorgasbord of small arms, much as it really was...
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:16:44 PM »

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 07:33:10 AM »
I've lost count on how many times I watched Lonesome Dove. Sometimes I'll start out with Deadman's Walk then Comanche Moon then Lonesome Dove then Streets of Laredo. I also enjoy Return to Lonesome Dove.

Many years ago I tried to get Woodrow McCrae for my alias but it was taken.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 09:10:39 AM »
Lonesome Dove is why I use an Uberti 1860 Henry!  Since 1994 when I started SASS, I have used a lot of different rifles, but 75% of the time it was an 1860 Henry
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 10:55:42 AM »
I also enjoy Lonesome Dove but it's too bad it's author had such a disregard for actual history. Something the film makers remedied with the correct firearms, dress horse tack and dialog.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 12:25:37 PM »
I also enjoy Lonesome Dove but it's too bad it's author had such a disregard for actual history. Something the film makers remedied with the correct firearms, dress horse tack and dialog.

Will Ketchum

True. Historically it is way off. IIRC there were already big cattle ranches in Montana in the 1860s. There are some other things too but that is one of the most glaring.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 08:27:47 PM »
Return was too PC for my taste and seemed to blatantly push multiculturalism. The only reason i watch it now and then is Reese. :o

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 09:10:17 PM »
Just watched streets of Laredo, the third one.  While sort of entertaining, it wasn't even on the same planet as the first two.  Think I will watch broken Trail or Open Range next.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 11:46:26 PM »
True. Historically it is way off. IIRC there were already big cattle ranches in Montana in the 1860s. There are some other things too but that is one of the most glaring.

Big ranches with not enough cattle and good markets as settlement proceeded - good evidence for lots of movement from Texas north through the 1860's - Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, Montana - all part of this .....In the short span of 20 years - maybe 20 million bison taken off those grasslands - Gus McRae and all his pards woulda been real busy replacing only a small portion of that with cattle - I dont think the cattle drives north is any kind of glaring fault - similar was still happening in Australia into the 1960's - still today only they got rubber wheels under em now stead of a drover and his outfit . Some parts of the country can breed cattle but cant fatten them - so they move - nothing new about that - and its still a fact of life today. 

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 01:24:11 AM »
Just watched streets of Laredo, the third one.  While sort of entertaining, it wasn't even on the same planet as the first two.  Think I will watch broken Trail or Open Range next.

I agree.  I showed it to my wife last night and she thought it was terrible and slow.  This transvestite looking teenager takes down lawmen like Call and earns the respect of hardened outlaws like Hardin?

The best scene in the movie was Call ambushing Mox Mox and saving Jasper’s children with the Henry and Winchester. 

Tonight we are in the middle of Lonesome Dove.  Love it

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 04:00:02 AM »
Streets of laredo was actually the first one filmed, but yes the 3rd one in the series. I hated joey and mox mox but LOVED everyone else. Its my fav of the whole set.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 05:44:00 AM »
Streets of laredo was actually the first one filmed, but yes the 3rd one in the series. I hated joey and mox mox but LOVED everyone else. Its my fav of the whole set.

???  HUH ?    Lonesome Dove was the first in 88 ...."Streets" in 95, followed by "Dead Man's Walk" & "Comanche Moon" in that order of filming... not in time line order however ... in that case IT would be "DM Walk's" , "Comanche Moon", "Lonesome Dove and finally "Streets" 

unless you think "Streets of Laredo"   with William Holden counts , but it's not Larry McMurtry's verson. Filmed in 1948 just has the same title...

BTW "Return to Lonesome Dove" was not by Larry McMurtry , it  was written by John Wilder.
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com