Author Topic: looking for my first real Winchester 1873  (Read 7004 times)

Offline Rick 44-40

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
looking for my first real Winchester 1873
« on: November 13, 2017, 05:39:11 PM »
I am new to this site and I asking for some help.  I purchased a Winchester 1873 reproduction two years ago and it's great, but it's not a real American made Winchester 1873.  So i'm ready to start looking for a real 1873, I visited my local gun show this weekend and seen a few 1873 rifles dating 1887 to 1889 and the asking price was $2.500.00.
Just looking for help.

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: looking for my first real Winchester 1873
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 12:52:50 PM »
Rick, while I can appreciate the love of handling the rifle before you purchase, take a look at Gunbroker and GunAuction as well. Sometimes you can find a real doozy and if no one is looking or paying attention, get it much cheaper. I've gotten 2 2nd model '73s that way and acquired enough parts to start assembling a third. One of those was an old Colorado rifle with set triggers that still work. Had to repair the toggle links, but it's a dang fine rifle now that its back up and running.

44s will be the hardest to find and get inexpensively, but don't sell the 38-40s short. While mine are all 44-40, there are a number of the guys around that swear by the old 38 WCF. So look around, see what's available and what you can afford. Good luck with your search. 

Offline Rick 44-40

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 04:35:41 PM »
Rick, while I can appreciate the love of handling the rifle before you purchase, take a look at Gunbroker and GunAuction as well. Sometimes you can find a real doozy and if no one is looking or paying attention, get it much cheaper. I've gotten 2 2nd model '73s that way and acquired enough parts to start assembling a third. One of those was an old Colorado rifle with set triggers that still work. Had to repair the toggle links, but it's a dang fine rifle now that its back up and running.

44s will be the hardest to find and get inexpensively, but don't sell the 38-40s short. While mine are all 44-40, there are a number of the guys around that swear by the old 38 WCF. So look around, see what's available and what you can afford. Good luck with your search. 

I would prefer to stay with 44-40, because I have a Colt 44-40 SAA!  I am hoping to find a 1873 at a gun show or a local gun store and to stay away from online buying.  That's the reason I am asking for tips on purchasing an original Winchester 1873 rifle.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:19:15 AM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 05:16:58 PM »
My first original Winchester 73 came from Turnbulls. I was looking for a musket and they had one with an old refinish for considerably less than an original one in the same condition. They checked it out for me and claimed that it would make a decent CAS rifle. They were right though I did put a lighter mainspring in it. I wouldn't make it my monthly match gun but for a couple of matches a year it's great. Remember you're talking about a 100 plus year old gun. I don't know how much disposable income you've got to work with but I would suggest looking at the nicer dealers for refinished rifles in good condition. They will take anything in trade. I've gotten items from Collectors Firearms too. A true collector wouldn't look twice at a reblue, refinished wood or a relined bbl but a cas shooter might not care. The bigger dealers usually have some wiggle room too. They're not making money sitting on stuff.  But don't ever deal with any one who doesn't accept returns. You can also ask for more photos from reputable dealers. Remember, minty guns cost a mint. Good luck.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 11:05:56 PM »
Like you, I got the urge to have some original old west firearms. Also like you, I wanted them chambered in 44-40, but figured out pretty quick that firearms chambered in 38-40 were much more common and generally less expensive. So I started with a 1903 Colt Bisley in 38-40 then added a couple of 1873 Winchesters, an 1886 production and an 1890 production in the same caliber. That was a couple of years and I have ZERO regrets about the caliber choice. The elder of the two rifles had a bore that was pitted beyond any hope, so I had its barrel re-lined. The 1890 model has a decent bore. Most of my shooting with the rifles has been at my 200 yd. target and the old rifles are amazingly accurate. Last year I even used the older rifle to take my buck during deer season.

So, don't discount the 38-40. a good place to occasionally find a good buy is Proxibid.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 01:24:06 PM »
Somebody definitely in the WOO-HOO chair.
wM1

its history....gone with click on one button
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »
its history....gone with click on one button

But I wasn't done reading it and clicking all the links!

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 03:19:58 PM »
Now that spam/hack post is back, I'll point out that no one should follow any links within.  My earlier post was in jest.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »
I can't help but wonder what they possibly gain by posting that crap?

Dave

Offline scrubby2009

• Very Active Citizen
  • Lifelong obsession with '73's
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 10:24:17 PM »
I just picked up my ironframe 1st Series  #21846 in a tiny shop in a tiny dead mountain town. Been on the wall a dozen years for $2000. I offered $1500 out the door and it's a shooter with original wood and a 6" group at 100yds with SuperX jacketed hunting loads. YOM is supposed to be 1878, do not have a Cody letter for it yet.
Responsive, timely, tactically accurate, and strategically precise fire.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 11:28:11 PM »
...SuperX jacketed hunting loads. YOM is supposed to be 1878...

As a suggestion, you may wish to avoid jacketed bullets (and probably smokeless powder) in a '73 of that era. It's your gun, of course, but if it were mine, I wouldn't want to stress the action or wear the barrel on a classic. It sounds like you have a cool rifle.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 07:53:37 AM »
No way would I shoot modern jacketed ammo in an iron frame first model. Mine gets nothing but black powder and soft lead. It's your gun but it would be a shame to ruin a piece of history. Plus for your own safety.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 05:37:02 AM »
I acquired one my own self , had been in the same late Gents collection 56 years, he having bought it from the estate of the Original owner.

Mine however is in 32WCF , which ( along with 44 Colt or Russian ) is my favorite , and upcoming NCOWS Shootist Article will document the guns acquisition.
Cody Museum letter's it to June 1891 ( 3rd Gen.) Shipped from warehouse  on August 20, 1891.

I already load 32WCF for my Marlin & Colt ,and BP will be the powder.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 09:17:37 AM »

I found this 1873 made in 1889 in 38WCF in a local gunshop at a price you'd expect to pay for a new Uberti.  It had a few cosmetic problems - wrong and buggered screws, etc.   I shot it in a Cowboy Action Shooting match and it hit 59 out of 60.  It didn't miss the one target, I did. 

Here is a video of me shooting it for first time.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 12:10:25 PM »

Bibbyman's '73 is just too KOOL.  Way Back inna Wabac (Sherman and the Professor) when I was still gainfully employed putting together CAS rifles for fun and profit, I was engaged to set up quite a few original '73 rifles.  What fun.

Because those '73s were original, I refused ultra modification.  The biggest bang for the Buck is/was a good action job and changing out the OEM springs.  My method was to find OEM "parts" as extras, and then modify the extras to make the rifles a bundle more shooter friendly.  Reducing the Lever Side Springs, Reducing the Trigger Safety Spring and Reducing the Main Spring made HUGE differences.  Also a little judicious rubbin and buffin made the guns very smooth indeed.  Reducing the springs and some "polish" will make a '73 very very fast indeed.  Where was I going.  Oh yeah, I remember.

Were it mine, I'd find some OEM springs sold as "parts" and tune em up for Bibbyman's rifle.  Either way, HUGE fun to run original guns from the era.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com