Author Topic: My Cimarron experience  (Read 9848 times)

Offline smokemaker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My Cimarron experience
« on: September 08, 2017, 07:06:19 AM »
I`m in Canada. In May I bought a NIB .357mag Cimarron revolving carbine from a dealer in Alberta,( Country Classics) it was shipped to me about 2000 miles east. These are made by Uberti. When I got it out of the box I noticed that it had rather large chambers in the cylinder, 357 fell right through, then I tried a 45 Colt that fit. The serial numbers were one # different between frame and cylinder.The stock was also a disaster, it had sharp uneven edges were it fit tang, finish was chipped along tang edges, there was movement between stock and frame, and the top line of stock was far too high to get a sight picture...it needed to be dropped about an inch at butt.
I emailed dealer, after a few days of no response I emailed Cimarron directly, after 3 emails to different departments finally got a response basically saying that because I was outside the USA the usual warranty process did not work and they were leaving it up to the Can dealer to make right. BTW this email was rather cold with not even a hint of an apology. In my initial emails to Country Classics I asked for either a refund or a replacement firearm, I now offered a third option, if he could send me a replacement cylinder in the proper caliber and $200 I would fit the cylinder and make a new stock.(I have considerable gunsmithing experience)
CC responded agreeing to send the cylinder in aprox 2 weeks. After about 2 months he emails saying he has the 357 cyl. if I send the 45 cyl. he will send me the 357, now I realize he has no intention of sending anything other than the cylinder once he has mine.
I then emailed that this isn`t acceptable and that if I don`t have the cylinder and $200 within 2 weeks that this is going to take a new unpleasant direction.
About a week later the cylinder arrived, no $   I`m not going into legal action over a couple hundred bucks. I would have thought that the dealer and Cimarron would be very concerned about the legal liability of selling a firearm that could have potentially blown apart.
Anyway, just sharing my experience. Not impressed with Cimarron or CC and warranty,IMHO at least in Canada ain`t worth squat.
It`s all together and working now with my homemade stock and the 45 cyl is currently a pencil holder that will remain in my possession as evidence.

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
Re: My Cimarron experience
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:11:36 PM »
Cimarron never has done well in customer relations.

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:53:02 PM »
Sorry that you had such a lousy experience.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:21:31 PM »

Offline smokemaker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 05:01:50 AM »
I realize the cylinder could have been mixed up by the dealer, but the stock is so far out of whack , the machine that makes them had to be out of adjustment. I`m thinking there must be others made the same.
This gun had to go through proving and inspection at Uberti, then Cimarron claims to inspect everything that goes through their facility, then on Country Classic`s website he also claims to personally inspect all guns he sells.
Mistakes can be made, but what burns me is that CC and Cimarron are both willing to make an enemy for life to save a few $
I copied Cimarron on all the emails to CC after the first couple, so they are aware of everything.
In this day and age, everyone in business should realize the power of social media and how fast and far bad press can spread.

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 06:06:56 AM »
Boycott Cimarron.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 07:09:29 AM »
My experience has been just the opposite.  I have not bought a pistol through them, but a shotgun.   They have been amazingly helpful when I needed a new spring and were very helpful/responsive during the shipping process

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 08:42:29 AM »
Cimarron did not switch the cylinder.  Uberti did that (it is not a common problem, but they have done it on occasion.  They have also shipped a few guns in the past that had no rifling.  Should the dealer or distributor have inspected that in a new gun?).  Guns at Cimarron are inspected for cosmetics and the action is checked.   The stock is as designed by Uberti.  You never picked up one of these before you ordered one, did you?  They all fit like that (poor design).  Your first post to this site is to complain.   As you stated yourself, Cimarron is not responsible for your warranty in this situation.  I think your only beef with Cimarron is that they did not apologize to you in an email for your inconvenience.  I'm sorry your feelings are hurt so easily.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 11:07:28 AM »

AH ....... Without resorting to assault and battery ...... PLUS ONE to ABILENE!!

Most everyone I know has also had excellent results when contacting Cimarron for help or warranty.  So I find jumping up and bashing Cimarron without any actual knowledge of results to be kind of STUPID.  I also find one who would incite Boycott for no good reason to be IGNORANT.  Unfortunately, there is no known fix for the Stupid.

I a person doesn't have sufficient grievance to request the assistance of the legal system, then resorting to a public forum to assault them is childish.  Venting your temper tantrum here because you didn't get your way is akin to flopping on the floor and stomping your feet like a petulant child.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »
I picked up a nice looking 30 inch cimarron 1873 rifle from a PA Gander Mtn store a long time ago. Tried to use it at the NE Regional in Thurmont, MD and couldn't hit squat. When I got home I found out that the bbl was junk. When I contacted Cimarron in Fredricksberg they told me that it wasn't their rifle! I infomed them that it was because their name and address was stamped on the bbl! They relented and I shipped them the gun. Well, it took an entire year before I got the rifle back. They went through multiple cust reps over that year cause I talked to them all. I'm thinking that they charged me a token amount, like 35-40.00. I was surprised that they worked with me as I wasn't the original owner but they realized that the bbl was junk so I guess that they were only out their gunsmiths time and Uberti ate the replacement bbl cost. You got to be patient but also be persistent.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 10:34:49 PM »
I don't fault smokemaker for venting here. I do disagree about it being Cimarron's responsibility. I think since he bought the gun from Country Classics it should be their responsibility to fix the problem and then if they feel Cimarron shipped them a bad gun they can try to get something out of Cimarron.

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 05:25:25 AM »
cimarron has had customer service problems in the past. So who's fault and responsibility is it to resolve this man's problem?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 04:14:42 PM »

Since none of us know who did what, where it was did, and done to what and only have one side of the story, assessing blame, guilt, and responsibility is just not possible.  Unless you just wanna throw rocks just to be throwun rocks at someone.

It's between the OP and Country Classics and Cimarron.  Since the miss-match of the cylinder has been resolved, and the OP has resolved the Butt Stock issue, and thus voiding any complaint, there is actually nothing left to resolve.  Dead Equine.  Unfortunate circumstances??  You betcha.  Reason for making continued loud noise??  Nah.  Dead Equine.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 04:30:20 PM »
Coffinmaker responded while I was typing this, but here it is anyway.

Galen, this man is in Canada, as mentioned in his first sentence.  Country Classics is the company that imports guns from the USA to sell to Canadians.  Country Classics is the company that assumes reponsibility for warranty in this case (that was also mentioned in the first post).  I'm sure they get parts and/or compensation of some sort from their suppliers (including Cimarron) if there is there is a warranty issue that existed on the gun before they received it.  That would be between them and their supplier.

Yes, Cimarron has had some customer service problems in the past.  Most of those that I know about were a pretty good ways in the past.  And what does that have to do with it?  To answer your question directly, it is Uberti's fault and Country Classic's responsibility to resolve this man's problem.  And by sending him a cylinder, they have resolved this man's problem.  He owes them the original cylinder.  The stock is not a warranty issue.   After this, Country Classics may bill Cimarron for repair parts (if that is their agreement.  I don't know).  That is what Cimarron does to Uberti when they have to repair manufacturer-caused defects.

If Smokemaker had lived in the USA and received this gun from Cimarron through a dealer, he would have had two choices:
1. Return the firearm to Cimarron for the correct cylinder to be fitted.  Any complaints of the buttstock would receive the reply that this is the way they come.  No defect.
2. Return the firearm to Cimarron for a refund because he did not like the firearm (speaking of the buttstock).  This would only be an option if the gun was unfired and unmarked.

On rare occasions a part may be sent to repair the gun if it is known that a competent person (usually a gunsmith, depending on the problem) will do the work at no charge.  I don't believe Cimarron would ever pay a customer to repair their firearm.  Can you say liability?

Did that answer your question?

I know it is a hassle and usually lost time and delays for anyone when they get a defective gun and I feel sorry for them.  But 'stuff' happens.  Fortunately in small percentages.  I just think the OP's demands were excessive and unrealistic as regards the third option that he gave Country Classics.  They could have chosen option 1 easily (refund).  Option 2 might have been a problem (long delays getting another from USA) if they did not have another in stock.  Smokestack may not like what he got from Country Classics but based on everything he said, I believe he got what he was owed.

p.s. if you ever have the chance to handle one of these revolving SAA carbines, shoulder it and try to get a sight picture, and you will see what I mean.  I consider this gun a novelty.  It is popular with some mounted shooters, but they don't sight it like normal shooting.  I have handled but never shouldered the '58 Remington revolving carbine, so I don't know if it is any better.

Offline smokemaker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 05:50:31 PM »
Both Cimarron and Country Classics have remained tight lipped as to were, how or why the cylinder was mixed up. I suspect it either left Italy this way or CC messed up. CC also operates some sort of theatrical supply service as part of their business, so only they know were this gun has been. There were indications that it had been handled. I also suspect that Cimarron didn`t even open the box.
I place most of the blame on Country Classics as they were the last to handle this gun before it was shipped to me, however I don`t think it`s too much to ask that Cimarron show a little remorse, answer emails promptly and be helpful in the resolution...it is their name stamped on this seriously flawed gun.
I should add that it now has an unnumbered bastard cylinder.
As for the stock, aside from being of useless dimensions, it was very poorly fitted with sharp jagged edges, chipped finish and loose, which in itself should have raised concern with Cimarron if they do indeed actually inspect anything. If these stocks are all made this way then there should be some effort made by Cimarron/Uberti to fix it going forward. The stock I made is quite usable and much more appealing to the eye, I dropped the comb an inch, straightened the ugly curved bottom line and put a much better butt plate on it.The original plate has a small radius and a sharp horn on it, that wouldn`t fit any normal sized adult.
It is now by no means just a curiosity piece. I have no problem making 3" groups at 50yds from a rest.
Some of you seem to like to be flippant, perhaps it is just your nature, but I`m sure none of you would be impressed if you purchased a  NIB gun, then opened the box and found what I did and you were then jerked around for three months and ended up building your own gun from a kit so to speak.
Cimarron does a lot of self aggrandizing, glossy catalog and so forth, but my experience with them has been disappointing.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 07:09:33 PM »
Cimarron does visually inspect every gun and work the action before shipping, regardless of destination.  I would have expected them to catch a stock in the condition you mention, but would not have expected them to catch the wrong caliber cylinder unless by luck.  Scary tought i there is likely another one out there with the opposite cylinder in it from your gun.  Like I said, I've seen it before from Italy, not to say that CC might not have had a hand in it.

At any rate, I'm glad you ended up with something you can use.  Perhaps you could post a pic of your stock handywork.

Offline smokemaker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 03:45:49 AM »
I will see if I can figure out the picture posting process here.

I also have the feeling there is another revolver out there some place with the wrong cylinder....it probably won`t hit anything, but at least it isn`t life threatening (from behind anyway)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 05:21:20 AM »
Since none of us know who did what, where it was did, and done to what and only have one side of the story, assessing blame, guilt, and responsibility is just not possible.  Unless you just wanna throw rocks just to be throwun rocks at someone.

It's between the OP and Country Classics and Cimarron.  Since the miss-match of the cylinder has been resolved, and the OP has resolved the Butt Stock issue, and thus voiding any complaint, there is actually nothing left to resolve.  Dead Equine.  Unfortunate circumstances??  You betcha.  Reason for making continued loud noise??  Nah.  Dead Equine.

I second that!

Offline smokemaker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 02:28:57 PM »
Original and new stock...curly (fiddleback) ash.

Offline smokemaker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 02:35:19 PM »
Engraving I did on butt plate.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages