Author Topic: Cimarron's 1862 pocket police conversion update  (Read 18162 times)

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Cimarron's 1862 pocket police conversion update
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2019, 02:43:50 AM »
I still want one of these. And .380 makes its it easier and less expensive to buy ammo for

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2019, 12:54:40 PM »
Does anyone actually have one for sale?  Cimarron is sold out and the there's a waiting list for new arrivals from Uberti.

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2019, 01:44:21 PM »
Here's your cut-down version. I trimmed the barrel to 3 1/2". Visual looked better to me. Foreground are the .38SC reworked to fit the .380 chambers. The only .380 RNL ammo that I know of is made by MagTech. I've reloaded the 100 modified .38 Short Colt cases 4 times now. 400 rounds and still haven't met the cost of 1 MagTech box of 50. Still tinkering with a good grouping load to as close to point of aim as possible. The rounds in the pic carry 8.5grs. 3Fg with a .356 sized round balls. Next sunny day I will do some range time.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 04:06:19 AM »

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
Now that's what I want!  I don't shoot competitively so the caliber isn't a concern.  Did you trim the barrel yourself? 

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • J Barr Texas
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2019, 02:16:06 PM »
Yes. Cut-off pneumatic tool with abrasive disc to start. Belt sander and machinist square to finish. Probably will take a trip to my favorite gunsmith to crown face and relieve the muzzle. Gonna shoot it first; gotta shoot it! Reason for my 3 1/2" barrel trim was leather on my holster rack. No need to buy fresh leather. 
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2019, 04:36:21 PM »

Johnson Barr,

You can pick up a round de-burring tool from Brownells that will clean up the muzzle nicely.  Originally, the barrels were just square faced.  No real crown.  Bit of a relief at the end of the bore just as you would get with a few turns of the de-burring tool.

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2019, 08:38:41 PM »
Is the original front sight removable for reuse or do I need to source a new sight?

Offline Johnson Barr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • J Barr Texas
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2019, 12:22:24 PM »
No, Uberti's 'itty-bitty' original sight is serious a press fit. I try to pull it with no luck. Nipped it off and flushed the cut with a small file. The flatten brass stub took a center punch very well for the new drill bore to match the base of the Pietta 1851 Navy cone front sight that I pressed in place on the 6" barrel. The 'itty-bitty' sight is the same Uberti uses on the '48-'49 pockets. VTI has them for $4.50 plus shipping.

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2019, 05:52:18 PM »
Damn fine job! It looks the business. Well done!

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2019, 01:56:57 PM »
I'm convinced I "need" one but I can't find any available for sale.  Anybody got a source?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2019, 05:01:22 PM »
I'm convinced I "need" one but I can't find any available for sale.  Anybody got a source?

There weren't that many in the first shipment.  Have your favorite dealer call Cimarron and get on the backorder list.  When they come in and it gets to your turn, they will call to see if you still want it.

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2019, 04:02:56 PM »
I understand there is no loading gate:  what keeps the cartridges from falling out if you tip the muzzle up?  Were any of the original cartridge conversions made without a loading gate?  I still want one.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2019, 04:38:38 PM »
Almost all of the Colt small frame conversions had no loading gates. Many of the private, long cylinder conversions (both large and small frame). lacked them also.  The majority of Remington cartridge conversion also lacked loading gates.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2019, 05:44:32 PM »
When the gun is hammer cocked or hammer down, the rim of the cartridge is slightly out of line with the loading channel and won't fall out.  It only lines up on half cock.  Don't aim up when you cock the gun.  ;)   

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2019, 05:57:29 PM »
Thanks Abilene;  that eliminates my one concern for a new toy.  Now, to just find one.

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2020, 05:40:27 PM »
Still waiting,  anyone know if a new shipment has arrived?

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2020, 02:09:01 PM »
Years ago, I had an original pocket Police conversion in .38 Short Colt.  I cut some .38 special cases and loaded round balls.  NO accuracy!  Sold it to a guy in Germany or Austria.  He had an importer lined up and I shipped to them.

You definitely had to NOT point up when you cock! LOL.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2020, 09:51:04 AM »

Twould seem,  The ruling Junta at SASS has declared the little "Gem" unacceptable as a Main Match item (sub the caliber requirement), unacceptable as a Pocket pistol (doesn't fit inna pocket), Unacceptable in BP Kata Gory's (not enough BP smoke),  unacceptable for Classic anything (no cartridge rim), unacceptable as a Xmas Ornament (too heavy for the tree).  Therefore, it will probably have a very short production run. 

Although, there is the remote possibility the little sucker will do well across the pond.  I don't have a real good WAG as to "why" it might do well "over there" but an anemic cartridge, in the wrong size gun needed a market somewhere for Uberti to make the thing.  Maybe??  Or just a whim??

Again, I'm not necessarily opinionated (yes I am), however I don't actually see a reason for it to exist other than as a Oddity (some describe me as an oddity after all).

Online Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2020, 07:06:08 PM »
Lets not forget uberti/stoger is in fact marketing the 3.5'' version and its up on the website now. This was the one we were all on board with originally. If they make it to the big box stores i think they'd sell a bunch. Ive seen people at the counter say ''im buying a gun today, just dont know which one yet lol''. I can easily see nostalgic old times with disposable income picking one up with dog walking or glove/tackle box duty in mind. Hell look at the mares leg or pistol grip 87s frivolous guns are hardly bad business today.

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2020, 02:31:31 PM »
Lets not forget uberti/stoger is in fact marketing the 3.5'' version and its up on the website now. This was the one we were all on board with originally. If they make it to the big box stores i think they'd sell a bunch. Ive seen people at the counter say ''im buying a gun today, just dont know which one yet lol''. I can easily see nostalgic old times with disposable income picking one up with dog walking or glove/tackle box duty in mind. Hell look at the mares leg or pistol grip 87s frivolous guns are hardly bad business today.

That's good news but I can't find it on the Uberti website.  Got a link?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com