Author Topic: Cimarron's 1862 pocket police conversion update  (Read 18151 times)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Cimarron's 1862 pocket police conversion update
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 02:58:17 PM »
Keep in mind that you never have to pay MSRP (unless you buy the gun at Texas Jacks  ;) )

I don't think this gun would be main match legal because it is a legal as a pocket pistol.  But if it slip-hammers okay (with the new safety hammer, not so sure), it could be very fast for pocket pistol sidematch.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 07:05:42 PM »

I realize there are going to be "some" who find this offering from Cimarron to be ..... appealing.  I personally find it annoying.  With so small a potential customer base, I would find it difficult to think they could amortize the investment to bring it to production.

By the same token, I have absolutely NO idea what it's appeal is going to be in Europe.  There, it may actually be a really big deal.  I personally don't find it of any use.  Not even as a plinker.  Much more fun to roll cans with a .44 loaded light (my opine).  "Others" may well find it just the ticket.  Rather a BIG ticket for such limited use.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 04:45:10 PM »
I shot today with Joe from Cimarron and asked him the pocket conversion update.  He said the first six came in and the cylinder chambers had been reamed too large, so ammo shot expanded too much and didn't want to eject, so that has to be remedied.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:52:50 PM »

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 03:24:30 PM »
I emailed Pale Wolf Burnelle, and with a 3 inch barrel, they would be a SASS legal pocket pistol, I don't know anyone who would want that gun in with a six inch barrel....
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 08:27:46 AM »
The barrel length isnt my preference either but the 380 chambering is what really has me confused. If someone would just make a quality remington deringer clone that shot to the sights we'd really have something to be exited about imho. That would be ideal for side matches.

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2019, 05:10:34 PM »
I know this is an old thread but did this ever come to fruition?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2019, 06:20:00 PM »
I think a first shipment came in a while back and sold.  Seem to recall Oklahoma Tom reported getting one somewhere in these pages?

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2019, 06:44:29 AM »
I got one from Bryan (Okla Tom) at 3B Shooting Supply. We've been working on a project to modify .38 Short Colt brass to operate in the .380 ACP cylinder chamber. Length of the .38SC was cut down to match the .380 case OAL and the .38SC rim was turned down just enough to chamber in the cylinder. Effectively we created a .380 Auto Rim case from .38SC brass. I've had a few successions at the range and used it in a couple of main matches. Still fiddling with getting the point of impact lower. Current mods included replacing the itty-bitty front sight with a Pietta 1851 cone sight and opening up the hammer notch rear sight. It's a fun little shooter and pretty damn sexy with the long 6" barrel. Kind of has Patterson lines. I like it!
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2019, 01:02:36 PM »
Forgive me for being a newb, but what is the advantage to creating a .380 auto rim case?  I really like this little revolver,  have you considered shortening the barrel to 3"?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2019, 01:38:10 PM »
It looks great with that 6" barrel length.

Too bad the .38sc couldn't be used without modification. It'd be a much simpler solution. My next project is to open up the hammer notch on my Police. Not sure about changing out the front sight post, though.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2019, 10:29:34 AM »
Why not .38 short colt. Case only .003? different than 380.  Load a 90 grain .355 and a grain or two of trail boss, and there you go.  If the rims were a little too big, just scallop them on one side to interface with the other rims.  I saw someone do that with 44 Russian brass in a .44 Colt ASM.  Maybe run the 38 colt brass through a.380 sizing die, then chamfer the cylinder for the slightly oversized base that doesn't go into the die.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2019, 08:55:51 PM »
Why not .38 short colt. Case only .003? different than 380.  Load a 90 grain .355 and a grain or two of trail boss, and there you go.  If the rims were a little too big, just scallop them on one side to interface with the other rims.  I saw someone do that with 44 Russian brass in a .44 Colt ASM.  Maybe run the 38 colt brass through a.380 sizing die, then chamfer the cylinder for the slightly oversized base that doesn't go into the die.

The .38 Short Colt is longer than .380, if you ream the chambers for the SC, then .380 won't work anymore. But you can just trim the .38 SC to fit, since they're mostly a handload only caliber anyway.

Now if VTI or somebody would just start carrying barrels for it, you could have a whole set, 6", 4", 3" and maybe a "Coffinmaker Special" cut off just in front of the barrel wedge.

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2019, 01:21:58 AM »
I think .38 S&W would be a better candidate- Brass is Easier to come by.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2019, 08:39:08 AM »
Case and rim diameter even larger on the .38 S&W.  Just no room in these things for conventional revolver cartridges. Good marketing demands you chamber something folks can buy off the shelf and shoot as is, even most handloaders don't like modifying cases.  Folks like us are "special".  That and .380 is a hot Self Defense round right now, which possibly expands sales appeal to other than the Cowboy niche.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2019, 10:26:48 AM »
Good points. I think on reflection, being that kind of special, a good choice to shorten for this might be .38 Special.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2019, 11:24:01 AM »
And that would be .38 Short Colt!  RIght back were we started.   ;D

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2019, 11:29:05 AM »
If one really wants a rimmed cartridge for this, Cimarron needs to chamber it in .32 H&R.  THen you could shoot all manner of .32s in it.

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2019, 12:42:05 PM »
.380 ACP isn't on the Approved Cartridge List for NCOWS match shooting. Turning the .38SC rim is just a chuck-up in the drill press and a couple of swipes with a mill bastard file. Case trimming is most likely rocket science to those that don't reload but it too is no big deal. But then complaining about new ropes has been around for a very, very long time.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2019, 04:41:23 PM »

:P  Well, Shiver me timbers.  Back when this Wundergun was first announced, the whole world was drooling and slobbering wanting to get one.  Then, there was the teeth gnashing whining because it was taking so long to materialize.  Now that it's here, the general consensus seems to be the 380 is the "wrong" cartridge so let's make it something else and make the Mongrel into a Frankenpistol.

So how 'bout I gen up a pattern marked with a dotted line and "cut here" instructions.  Might also be tempted to have a hardened guide clamp for a hacksaw made to keep the cut square and rent it out soz that ugly extra 3 inches of barrel can be removed with a square face.  Since nobody can decide what cartridge it should really be, I' ll just have to wait before cook up a jig to turn cases in quantity.

Or, perhaps we should come to the conclusion, the final product is of no real use other than as an oddity.  Really 'pensive paper weight.  And, since we have progressed to a more or less paperless society, not much call for it there either.  Not that I'm opinionated.  Nah.  Not real opinionated.  Not me (Snicker Snicker Snort).

Oh wait.  Bestest idea yet.  Before you order one, send the check for the purchase price to ME.  That way, at least one of us will be happy with yer espenditure   ::)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2019, 12:47:14 AM »
Ah My Good Coffin

don't hold back, pray tell, what do you really think?

Personally I think it's kinda cute, and .380 will take DIY .38 short colt so nicely....

Mrs Marvel kinda wants one....

yhs
prof mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com