Author Topic: First Vaquero  (Read 8999 times)

Offline rellisonii

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First Vaquero
« on: May 10, 2017, 09:33:13 PM »
Bought my first Vaquero today in 45 colt with 5.5 barrel new and am disappointed so far. I did not notice at the store, but when I got home went to take the grips off and both ferrule are not threaded, the grips were just held on the frame by the pin in the heal. emailed ruger hoping they will make it right.

Next the trigger spring retaining pin was off center holding the left grip slightly off the frame. Could not budge it with a 3lb hammer and a steel punch, hitting it as hard as I was comfortable (hard enough it bent the punch), so I drove it back out and then used a stone to make it fit right...

Lastly the loading gate is very stiff, is this normal? The only thing I have to compare it to is a single six and it opens very easily. Have not shot it yet since the grips barley stay on.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: First Vaquero
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 07:38:32 AM »
That is not normal for a new Ruger revolver.  A stiff action is common until you have worked the action with a few boxes of ammo.

Did you buy it as a new revolver?  Possibly it has been "owned".
If neither of the ferrules were threaded, the screw would be falling out.
Only one of the ferrules ought to be threaded. 

How far was the trigger spring pin off?  I've never seen that so far.
I assume the pin is a VERY tight interference fit.  It was possibly made to never move again.
Did one of the spring legs rub the grip frame?

Yes, I have seen some Vaqueros & Blackhawks with stiff loading gates.

You did right by contacting Ruger for information.

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline rellisonii

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »
I ordered gun from Davidson's gallery of guns website, so would hope it is brand new. The spring retainer was not quite through far enough for the spring leg to go completely down into the groove in pin. The pin itself was .120 inch, and knurled .130 in the center. I stoned down the knurling a little at a time until it went in with reasonable amount of force.
The grip screw head fits the ferrule tight enough it does not fall out. Neither are threaded and screw can be inserted through both grips.

I found d a video online on how to remove loading gate, nut don't want to take that far apart before shooting

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:37:48 AM »

Offline Marshall John Joseph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 12:50:42 PM »
Davidsons has a Lifetime Replacement Warranty.  Your concerns may warrant a replacement.  Bring your concerns back to the dealer and make no home gunsmithing efforts.  That may give cause to void the warranty through Davidsons.

MJJ

Offline rellisonii

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »
Ruger shipped out a new set of grips today, very good customer service so far.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 09:55:20 PM »
Relli:

Ruger will definitely take good care of their customers.
A genuine USA solid company!

Keep us informed!

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline rellisonii

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 01:36:22 PM »
New grips fit perfectly. Took her all the way apart and there was some burrs interfering with the loading gate, cleaned that and polished where the gate spring and gate touch and  moves much better now. Still have not shot it yet but hope to soon.

Offline Donkee

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 07:53:37 AM »
I stopped by one of my local gun shops about 10 days ago to buy a new stainless Vaquero. The only one they had was the display model that was kinda beat up so I had them order a new one for me. about a week later it comes in so I pick it up and take it home. Never had a problem with this store before but when I got home and popped out my contacts (can't see jack up close with them) I found that it was used and someone did a number on it.

Next day went back to the store and their "gunsmith" said with all the damage "that is the way a Ruger comes from the factory" so no exchange or refund.

Ruger has it now, didn't even fire a single round out of it, but someone else sure did and did some really bad smithin' on it. Not too sure Ruger will be happy with them. If I didn't know better I would never buy a Ruger again, but I do know better. Hopefully they rip the gun shop a new one.

Still don't know how it will turn out for me. They have only had it 2 days now.

Next time I buy a new gun I will be wearing my glasses and have a good light on me. So buyer beware!

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 09:48:04 AM »
Every gun is totally different, assembled by different employees depending on the shift or crew using different lots of parts created on different machines, old or new. And inspected by different employees who make judgement calls on what's good enough or not good enough to sell. I'm sure mgt looks hard at any inspector who rejects too many. I've bought 5 .45 lc s/s vaqueros and one .22 vaquero over the years. The only one that has gone to a smith was the 5.5 in bbled one that he made into a storekeepers model by removing the ejector rod boss, remounted the sight, cut the bbl down to 2.5 inches and removed the dumb bbl warning junk. All of mine looked good and shot fine. I did replace those slippery as heck rosewood grips with checkered horn or laser engraved micarta.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Donkee

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 02:42:41 PM »
Just got my revolver back from Ruger. It is still the used revolver. Polished, new base pin, and loading gate fixed.

I'll run about 100 rounds through it just because and then sell it for whatever I can get for it. No more Rugers for me and make sure you look your "new" guns over carefully if you buy from Williams Gunsite in Davison, MI. I personally will never buy from them again.

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 07:49:55 AM »
Donkee
your pistol must have been in line ahead of my bisley new vaquero. i sent mine in 3 weeks back for the point of aim issue. hope they got you all fixed up.
best kw

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com