Author Topic: An interesting QUESTION !!!  (Read 10019 times)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: An interesting QUESTION !!!
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 09:02:50 PM »
Greyhawk,

Oops.  I was inquiring 10 rounds in the unfinished 17inch rifle in your foto.  The bottom rifle.  But, with it being 17inch and an unsuccessful fit of 10 in an 18inch rifle, it's back to the C45S.

I had a similar problem when building my first 16inch Trapper Rifle (Octagional barrel).  Couldn't get 10 innit.  That little problem is what begat the "45 Squirt."  Also required a radically modified Carrier Block.  The super modified Carrier was eliminated by Adirondack Jack's unit with the spring loaded flipper cartridge stop.

Guns-R-Fun!!

Hey Coffinmaker
Thought you might be interested - project completed - all the old bits are back in the old gun - all the conversion bits work a treat - am in process of ordering a new barrel (mainly because I anticipate tightening of laws here and we gonna wake up one day and the new barrel through the mail deal is terminated) so -- from 32/20 to 38/40
* refurbished old 38-40 barrel from an 1873 - polished it out with steel wool and jewellers rouge as best I could - it shoots ten black loads quite ok but dirties up quicker than a new one would - a bit more load development might help there but -- live with it!
* internal work (theres a lotta work) changes to cartridge lifter including a new side plunger.
* refit cartridge guides for larger case
* made a new nose part (the cartridge stopper) for the near side guide
* bore out the frame for bigger magazine tube
* relieve the frame behind loading gate to clear the larger case
* cut stopper notch in near side of frame for lifter plunger
* open up bolt face
* open up ejector plunger
* fit new extractor or relieve the claw (I had a 94 bolt and extractor here from scrap so used that (exact same fit)
* made a new magazine tube , follower, stopper and screw (I used an old piece of electrical conduit but 16mm steel curtain rod from china is just right size inside - thinner wall but would work) 
*new magazine spring
I have a nice little short forend wood I made from local timber years ago, that takes a steel rifle nosecap - but need to cut two new dovetails and fill an old one in to fit it - still deciding what I want here - really like the look of BP Burns' - 28 inch rifle - with a short forend and my short stock (in the picture now) I think mine would look very similar - anyway - the good news is I got the action right - this thing is about as slick as a 92 comes - I made a couple of mistakes along the way - eyballing stuff I shoulda measured !
If you paid me any kind of menial wage for the time spent - there proly be enough money to buy two new brownings !!! but eaxtremely satisfying to get it done right . 

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 09:25:51 PM »
Greyhawk, if you don't mind, where are you getting your barrel from? New or used? I'm trying to line up stuff for another possible musket project. Thinking that I might try a 93 or 94 Marlin musket. They do exist! Thanks, Ed
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 09:06:38 AM »
Greyhawk, if you don't mind, where are you getting your barrel from? New or used? I'm trying to line up stuff for another possible musket project. Thinking that I might try a 93 or 94 Marlin musket. They do exist! Thanks, Ed

Ed
The barrel I built this around was a tired barrel out of my sons '73 - longish story - friend of ours had taken on a rebarrel job for another club member and had a little senior moment - when they pulled the barrel outta the Rossi he eyeballed it and assumed the thread was same as winchester - close but - nearest metric equivalent I guess - got it over half way in and stuck - got it back out and almost stuffed the reciever thread in the process - tapped that out and got the rossi back together ok - left him with a spare barrel so he did a cheap job on the 73 to give the barrel a home - I looked long and hard at the old one - it slugged neat at .401 - bore rough - so I polished it out with steel wool and rouge - am getting better at that - took a little bit off it to get rid of a rust spot and recrowned it - (have rescued several ML barrels and even brought my 22/250 back to life) - anyway this was the first time I have done a calibre conversion on a 92 and got it done nice in the end - the old barrel shoots ok but I think not long in the future we will be banned from buying a spare so I intend to move now . Would like a Green Mountain barrel but dont know if I can get one into Aus - otherwise we can get a local "Sprinter" barrel - twist is a bit fast but they shoot ok - he will profile it and cut the flats on an octagonal for a price. I forgot the picture on my last post so hooking it on here 

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:28:39 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com