Author Topic: Overcome by 1886 temptation.  (Read 5314 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
Overcome by 1886 temptation.
« on: March 11, 2017, 04:52:10 PM »
I am new to posting here. I usually spend my time on the USFA section of the forum.  :)

I don't go by the gun shops very often simply because I don't want to be tempted to buy something I don't need. My current main hobbies are shooting traditional bows and guns. I use to fish quite a bit but since the local lakes have gone down and some even dried up I don't fish as much as I use to. I also have this equilibrium problem that sort of put a halt to my kayak fishing which is what I use to like to do mostly. Not sure I could stay upright in a kayak anymore because of the equilibrium so I sold my kayak several years back. Now about the only time I fish is when we go to the Rocky Mountains. I love fishing for Trout in the mountain streams and rivers.

Sorry for wandering from the intended reason for the post. Anyway, I started all this because a friend and I stopped by one of the local gun shops a few weeks back and I saw a rifle that really caught my fancy. I am a sucker for old west stuff and they had a Winchester 1886 that I took a likin' to.  Over the past couple of weeks that rifle has stuck in my mind.

The wife and I went to the Sweetwater Rattle Snake Roundup today. Not really for the snakes but because the wife likes to go to the huge arts and grafts fair they always have, I go for the gun and knife show, and we both enjoy the food venders. Me going to the gun and knife show only reinvigorated my interest in the 1886 rifle I had seen several days before. The photo is proof positive that I realized I needed that rifle.   :)

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Overcome by 1886 temptation.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »
Yep, get a kid hooked on old guns and he'll never have time or money for drugs............
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 02:01:33 PM »
Well after two weeks I was finally able make it out to the range and shoot my new Winchester 1886 Deluxe Short Rifle. The target was an eight inch Shoot-N-C, at 100 yards, factory barrel sights. The rounds were 45-70 hard cast 350 gr. flat nose gas check bullets, 28 gr. 4198, Winchester large rifle primer, and Winchester brass.

I had shot the target first with a 30 cal. rifle I have, covered all the holes and then shot 12 rounds with the 1886. What you see in the photo are the 45 cal. holes left by the 12 consecutive rounds I shot from the bench at 100 yards. Not great but not too shabby for an old fart whos equilibrium has gone south and has old nearsighted eyes using factory barrel iron sights.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:48:38 PM »

Online King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 04:47:45 PM »
At 100 yards? That's dead deer accuracy, meat in the freezer. Nice looking rifle.  ;D
King Medallion

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 05:18:08 PM »
B Lou,......

I must take exception.  Great Umbrage if you will.  From your time hanging around with the USFA crowd, you are well aware, "NEED" has absolutely nothing to do with an acquisition.  "LUST" however does.  Drives the heart rate, causes cold sweats, brings on great bouts of day dreaming.  Un-Requited "LUST" can cause one to suffer incurable tremors.  Dry mouth and hiccups.

THAT ..... just happens to be an INCREDIBLY NICE rifle.  I, personally have no use for an 1886.  I do not need an 1886.  Were I, however, to happen upon THAT rifle in my LGS, I would probably dislocate my shoulder just drawing my wallet.  Well Done

Coffinmaker

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 12:02:56 AM »
Coffinmaker,

Of course you are absolutely correct and your perceptiveness is most keen. ;) You undoubtedly have a discerning eye and an acute ability in accurately diagnosing the true nature of the situation.  :-[  Darn, I thought I had hid my motive so well, I am certain it was the hiccups that gave it away.  ;D

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 11:59:46 AM »
NO one needs an '86 Winchester... BUT all you have to do is pick one up, work the action, and chances are you won't lay it down again until it is part of your collection! The first antique rifle I ever saw (in a gun store in downtown San Francisco in 1962, no less) was a well-used (no finish) '86 in .45-90! Sadly, I traded it away, but having been bitten by the bug, picked up others over the years...when I could afford them.  Always managed to keep at least one around, including refurbished and rebuilt rifles, depending on what my fancy and exchequer could manage.  :)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 01:01:14 PM »
Trailrider:

Couldn't agree more.  I even got a 32-20 Model 92.  I kind of fell into that one but that is a keeper also.  We used to raise EMU's until they got sick so I used that little '92 to send them into the burial pit.  That is a fun gun to shoot and that 32-20 caliber is just a pop and no recoil to speak of.  I would not mind having a M-73 in that caliber but they are spendy and scarce as hens'teeth especially at Gun Shows so  just have to be happy with what I got.  My 45-90 and the 40-82's are too big for doing in EMU's and that 32-20 was just right.  I sure do like my lever guns.  Even got a couple of Marlin 45-70's--one is my daughter's.  Great little deer rifles.  Hope this helps but just sort of like to blab now and then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com