Author Topic: New-to-me 50-95  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New-to-me 50-95
« on: February 18, 2017, 01:47:38 PM »

Yes, that buttstock really IS that good!!

I just picked up this new-to-me '76 with a 28" barrel.  The seller said he fired it ten times, then stuck it in the safe.  Frankly, this thing looks like it just hatched yesterday.  There isn't a mark on it.  I can only guess why it was only fired ten times, but if pressed, I would say a lack of accuracy.  My guess is that he was firing Buffalo Bore or Jamison factory ammo with .510 bullets and smokeless powder.  Given that this bore slugs at .5145", a .510" bullet would make for dismal accuracy.  This is what I am using as a starting point:

1:20 tin/lead, 350gr Rapine, sized .514", lubed with SPG

Jamison 50/95 WCF case, primed with Federal Large Rifle Match primers

80gr Goex Cartridge (by weight) through 24" drop tube, topped with .030 Walter veggie wad

2/10" compression

Rounds cycle and chamber with no issues.  Magazine holds 11 (!!!)  :o rounds.

Sometime this weekend, good Lord willing, and the creek don't rise, I will go see if this thing goes "bang" in more-or-less the right direction.
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Gus Walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • The sunny slopes of long ago.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: New-to-me 50-95
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 01:50:33 PM »
 ;D   Now that is one beautiful rifle . Lookin forward to a range report
Aye its been quite a ride aint it?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 05:21:25 PM »
Beautiful indeed!  I love pretty wood.  Someone once commented (paraphrasing Forrest Gump) that Uberti wood is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.  Although "railroad tie" is much more common than something like yours.  ;D

Let us know how it shoots.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:22:02 PM »

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 06:23:06 PM »
Beautiful indeed!  I love pretty wood.  Someone once commented (paraphrasing Forrest Gump) that Uberti wood is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.  Although "railroad tie" is much more common than something like yours.  ;D

Let us know how it shoots.

Oddly enough, the wood on my '73 is every bit as good as the wood on my '76.  I can't wait to strip off that orange varnish and see what it looks like under there....
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 08:03:13 AM »
That is a nice looking rifle. Hope it shoots good as it looks.,,,DT

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 09:59:33 AM »
Beautiful rifle, good luck shooting.
King Medallion

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 07:48:43 PM »
I made it to the range today, but, given the heavy rain and gusty winds, it had the potential to be a huge waste of time.  I had my ammo box sitting on a target, and a gust of wind caught the target and dumped my ammo off the bench.  Downrange on a hot range, of course....   ::)  Anyway, after checking the zero on my 38-55 High Wall, I broke out the '76.  Starting at 50 yards, I was averaging 4" groups with vertical stringing.   That could have been a combination of wind, lousy sights, 53 year old eyes, and an eight pound trigger.

Moving back to 100 yards, things actually improved.  Using the bottom edge of the target as an aiming point, here are the last three rounds of the day.

There may be hope!  All I know is that I need some sights that I can see, and to cut the trigger pull in half.
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 05:10:30 PM »
I would say that load should get another try. Looks good. Was that last three shot from a fouled bore? ,,,DT

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 07:27:15 AM »
I would say that load should get another try. Looks good. Was that last three shot from a fouled bore? ,,,DT

Yes.  Two rounds fired from a clean bore prior to those three.
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 07:38:33 AM »
mossy
i have been fiddling with my loads for nearly 3 yrs. have gone through 6 molds to see what works best with the 1-48" rifling. not too long ago i acquired a vintage ideal mold #512138, 430 grain actual. this one has the large square lube grooves. using a felt wad under that bullet was a dramatic improvement in group size at 100yds (3")  and still carried nicely out to 200 yds. goex 2ff compressed shows no leading to boot. as the weather improves here, i will try to fine tune my tang sight. my 50-95 when new had an off center muzzle crown, which threw lead every where. so the barrel ended up in my lathe for a re-cut.
best...
kw

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com