Author Topic: Buying A Pair Of Colt SAA -VS- Italian Replicas?  (Read 84 times)

Offline Dispatch

• Very Active Citizen
Buying A Pair Of Colt SAA -VS- Italian Replicas?
« on: Yesterday at 11:18:33 pm »
I've been contemplating buying two new, old stock Colt SAA's (45 lc), with consecutive serial numbers 'if possible', but I am taking into consideration the Italian reproductions like from Taylor's And Company.

I was told Colt's are of better quality especially on fit and finish and that they also hold their value greater.

It's price difference that's astounding as two Italian's are less than or equal to the price of one single Colt.

Has anyone has this situation happen to them?  :-\

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cracker Cow Cavalry
Re: Buying A Pair Of Colt SAA -VS- Italian Replicas?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:27:10 pm »
Nope...this is a completely unique situation   ;D

none the less  :P  opinions will expound and explicate   ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

Online Capt Quirk

• Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:29:22 am »
Hey, of you have the money, and it won't put you in the dog house, go Colt. If you don't, go Eyetalian.

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:43:08 am »
I've been contemplating buying two new, old stock Colt SAA's (45 lc), with consecutive serial numbers 'if possible', but I am taking into consideration the Italian reproductions like from Taylor's And Company.

I was told Colt's are of better quality especially on fit and finish and that they also hold their value greater.

It's price difference that's astounding as two Italian's are less than or equal to the price of one single Colt.

Has anyone has this situation happen to them?  :-\

If you can afford it get the Colts, you won't be sorry! They do hold their price and they stand up to rigorous shooting! I have a pair in .357, a third gen and a second gen. I also have a pair of backups that are a Pietta and a Uberti Cattleman.
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cracker Cow Cavalry
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:32:04 am »
Yep,  I have both , covet AND Shoot the COLTS ,  quite fond of the Ubertis as well
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:37:54 am »

First a CAVEAT:  I am not a fan of Colt.  Hugely over-priced.  Recent quality has sucked.  All the other referenced stuff is none the less true.  A Colt will hold it's value longer.  You probably won't live long enough for it to appreciate enough to be an investment.  They were made to be shot ... so shoot them.

They will need action work.  They are going to be rough and over-sprung.  Lots of stone work, polishing and R&R the OEM springs.

Twer it I.  I'd opt for a pair of Pietta built GW IIs.  Well made.  The only thing they really need right out of the box is a change of Main Spring and whacking off the end of the base pin (two position dealy).  And you get (as you mentioned) two nice new guns for the price of ONE Colt.

Your call Navy 47.  We're a Lighthouse   ;D