Author Topic: Shot capsules  (Read 4070 times)

Offline John10>10

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shot capsules
« on: January 18, 2017, 08:55:58 PM »
I have Uberti 36 cal. case hard steel frame 1851 Navy, with 38-LC Kirst conversion cylinder. I'd like to get some 38 special Speer shot capsules to reload for it. Has anyone here done that? I see no issues, I know the 38 special bullet is just a hair to long for this Kirst cylinder, but shot capsule's should be able to adjust in the case a little to fit and work, in theory
I'm now using Trail Boss powder loaded to the brim to get some upmf out of the load on a 145gr. heal bullet.  Really like this revolver.
John 10:10 I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Shot capsules
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 04:01:40 PM »
Well, Your headed in the wrong direction with the wrong powder and the wrong bullet.  In theory. 

The 38 shot capsules as I remember are actually a bit longer than regular bullets.  Actually works better in a 357 case.  The other problem your going to run into is trying to push a 357 diameter shot cap through a 375 bore.  Hopefully you have a proper crimping tool for heal base bullets.  Getting real "oomph" out of a 38 is going to be difficult at best.

Coffinmaker

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 05:51:04 AM »
I have loaded them and found that a capsule loaded in a .38sp case will not go into a .38sp chamber, just a bit too long. You might want to try one before you get too deep into the project.

Blackfoot ::)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:31:25 AM »

Offline John10>10

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 06:02:41 PM »
"Well, Your headed in the wrong direction with the wrong powder and the wrong bullet.  In theory. "<<<It's beginning to look that way. This 36 cal. 1851 Navy has been a reloading pain when I bought the 38 LC Kirst Konversion cylinder, here's why>>

The .36 caliber percussion revolver barrel has a bore diameter of .375 inches. Today’s .38 caliber bullets are .357-inch diameter bullets. To attain best accuracy with a .38 caliber cartridge, in your reproduction Navy revolver, you must shoot a soft lead, .38 caliber, hollow base bullet, or .38 caliber, heeled bullet. The soft lead hollow base bullet will “bump up” to the .375-inch bore diameter and shoot very accurately. <<<<But I still love this revolver, I like the shooting heeled bullet and Trail Boss works good for that.
John 10:10 I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline John10>10

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 06:17:28 PM »
I have loaded them and found that a capsule loaded in a .38sp case will not go into a .38sp chamber, just a bit too long. You might want to try one before you get too deep into the project.

Blackfoot ::)

I wasn't expecting that, 38sp shot capsule is suppose to fit 38sp. My thinking is 38sp is like 45lc, I have 1858 Rem. with conversion cylinders, load 45lc shot capsules in them, they fit and work good, I was hoping to do the same with 38lc, Project not looking doable..   

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 08:21:25 PM »
My Good John -

As you have discovered, the " .38 " Colt 1851 conversons are really ".38" ( .375 ) and not  .36 ( .357 )
And, as you discovered, you need heel-based bullets ( best results ) or hollow-base .357 bullets and hope for expansion ....
And now yopu know that shot capsules are geared toward .357 bores .

If you absolutely need shotshells, you can manufacture your own. This is most easily done by loading as tho it were a tiny brass shotgun shell:
- powder
- over powder card
- shot
- over shot card
- crimp, and some sort of glue sealant.

otherwise, you are ( as they say )  boned.

hope this helps
yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 09:18:59 PM »
 I've loaded about three boxes of shot capsules and ONLY in .38 Special cases and fired most all of them in a Rossi Model 68. They all worked fine.

Your cartridge o.a.l. will be dictated by the construction of the case in the area of the lower case wall. Those with heavier/thicker case walls won't allow the shot capsule to be seated as deep as those with thinner case walls. I tried some capsules in four different brands of .38 Special cases and found the following o.a.l.'s possible:

W-W    - 1.40"
 Federal - 1.44"
 Military - 1.46"
 R-P      - 1.52"

So if your conversion cylinder limits your o.a.l., try to dig up some W-W brass and use them. If you want to test various brands of brass, do so with un-sized brass and insert the shot capsule upside down. Otherwise you'll likely stick the plastic capsule plug in the case. As far as bore size is concerned, the .375" bore shouldn't make much difference. I expect the shot capsule is going to shatter from the pressure of the expanding gas when the shell goes off and the shot will fill the bore.

These type loads aren't really meant for small game hunting except at very close range. I've used lots of them on rattlesnakes and of the dozens I've shot, I'd say 10' was about the furthest, and at the range it shreds them. I said all that to say there's no need in loading shot capsules heavy. In fact lighter loads seem to pattern somewhat better.

CHT

Offline John10>10

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 05:58:44 PM »
"If you absolutely need shotshells, you can manufacture your own. This is most easily done by loading as tho it were a tiny brass shotgun shell:" << I dont really need 38lc shot shells, I have my 1858 Rem. with shot shells, I just like the 1851 Navy so I think your right, have to look into making miniature shot gun shells, with long 38cal. brass of some sort.

Offline John10>10

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 06:18:49 PM »
"So if your conversion cylinder limits your o.a.l., try to dig up some W-W brass and use them." Cylinder OAL seems to be my problem at>>1-7/16, 38lc loaded with 150gr. heeled bullet>1-3/8, empty 38lc case 31/32, 38sp shot capsules are 1-3/32, so if you add it all up, it's headach. Think might work is 38 cal brass that is 1-716 long and do what  what's his name said, make small shot gun shells.
W-W brass?????, movie time.......................

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 05:46:31 AM »
I also found some  factory loaded .38/357 shot shells will not fit into .38sp chambers.  As best I remember it was CCI, I gave it to a friend to shoot in his .357 for pest control.

Blackfoot

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 07:41:11 AM »
"So if your conversion cylinder limits your o.a.l., try to dig up some W-W brass and use them." Cylinder OAL seems to be my problem at>>1-7/16, 38lc loaded with 150gr. heeled bullet>1-3/8, empty 38lc case 31/32, 38sp shot capsules are 1-3/32, so if you add it all up, it's headach. Think might work is 38 cal brass that is 1-716 long and do what  what's his name said, make small shot gun shells.
W-W brass?????, movie time.......................

Winchester-Western.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com