Author Topic: Odd 38 brass  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Odd 38 brass
« on: November 20, 2005, 10:17:47 PM »
Last year I bought 5 gal. of 38spl. brass at a yard sale.  Well, this fall I finally started cleaning and loading it and found some interesting cases.  The cases are nickle with a headstamp of "Peters 38 S&W Special".  The odd part showed when I ran them throught the Dillon and the primer seating felt too smooth :o.  The Primer was still in the cup!  After looking at the case, I saw that it needs a Large Pistol Primer!  Has anyone else seen 38 SPL brass that uses a Large Pistol Primer? Are these case worth anything more than novelty?  I have found about half a red vines bucket of these Peters Cases ::) ::)
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Odd 38 brass
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 10:42:35 PM »
Yes,  I have run into 38 Special cases that use large pistol primers.  Apparently at one time some cases were manufactured this way.  Since I was loading mild target loads I just loaded them with large pistol primers and all worked out OK.  I didn't notice any increase in pressure or velocity and they shot the same as the standard loads with the small pistol primers.  NOTE that these were mild loads to start with and not anywhere near maximum loads.

HHW

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 09:55:15 AM »
Howdy, Modoc!      FYI, the GLFMC (Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.) posse shoots near the town of Modoc, Indiana.

Yep, you stumbled onto some oldies.  If you didn't already know, the R-P headstamp on modern Remington cases stands for Remington-Peters.  Since they've been loaded and fired at least once, you might wish to load 'em up and fire them once with a mild or typical Cowboy load.  I'd then put them away and not wear them out.  They may not be worth much to a true collector (I don't personally know), but to someone like me, they'd be worth a few cents just to have as a curiosity.

If you DO decide to reload them, I'd lube those cases up so as not to scratch the nickle any more.  If they're already scratched, then don't bother oiling them; once more won't hurt 'em, and if the cases and your resize die are clean, your carbide dies won't scratch 'em anyway!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:20:29 PM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 02:56:04 PM »
I'd think since magnum primers work better than standard ones for black powder, these might really work good with it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 11:22:58 AM »
These date to the 1930's or earlier if I understand right.  Some of the early Nitro powders had trouble lighting so the 38 Special and some 357 mag used large pistol primers.  They had no magnum primers, theses are the Potassium Cloride type primers.  Improved Lead Stypanate primers and improved powders made the large primers not needed for these rounds.

Unfired rounds are worth maybe $0.25-0.75, fired ones are worth the scrap price of brass since these were loaded in the millions and are not that rare.

Would I load 70+ year old brass, not on a bet.  One case rupture can ruin your whole day, not to mention yor gun, fingers or eyes.  You don't know if these have suffered metal fatige and 38 brass is durn cheap. 

You most likely would get by with it, but to me it is akin to driving on bald tires.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 10:50:23 PM »
Thanks for the good info Del,

Since I have over 5 gallons of 38spl brass (and nickle), I am not too worried about losses  ;).  As it stands, I have only tubled and sorted about 2 gallons worth of brass and have sorted out about 3/4 of a gallon of the Peters brass.  I am also disposing of any badly scored or damaged brass as I go.  Of course, like any mixed lot of brass from an annoymous source, there are some supprises.  I have found 10 LOADED wad-cutters so far and half a dozen assorted slugs ;D.  Heck, there are even NEW (never fired) Winchester cases!

Have a great evening!

Modoc
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline Wolfcamp Hill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 07:05:55 PM »
howdy,

watch out loading those old cases that had potassium chlorate (corrosive) primers.  if they werent cleaned properly after being fired the brass can be brittle and weak from the corrosive salts .  i wouldnt use them.
as the man sez,  my .02 worth.

wolfcamp

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com